Weekly Poll #002

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Weekly Poll #002

Who makes the best CPUs?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:50 PM

Let battle commence!

#2 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:36 PM

Posted Image

:talker:

#3 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:33 AM

You guys are nuts!! IBM all the way baby!!! Take a look at the Cell, it blows everything away!!! And look at how revolutionary the Power PC chips were for so long!! They are even coming out with stock Power PC's at like 5 ghz soon!! Nobody comes close to these guys!! And the fact that they are working with AMD now to take down Intel makes me even happier with them!!

#4 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:12 AM

View Postchriso_86, on Jul 2 2007, 09:33 PM, said:

You guys are nuts!! IBM all the way baby!!! Take a look at the Cell, it blows everything away!!! And look at how revolutionary the Power PC chips were for so long!! They are even coming out with stock Power PC's at like 5 ghz soon!! Nobody comes close to these guys!! And the fact that they are working with AMD now to take down Intel makes me even happier with them!!
Yes, I agree. I was an AMD fan for a long time and now I'm a big Intel fan. But IBM wins in terms of innovation. Sun is right behind IBM with their SPARC processors.

#5 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:21 AM

Yeah, Sun is cool as well. The thing I'm really pumped about it IBM's next cpu line being compatible with AMD sockets!! That will be nice!! Little anti-intel action there!!

#6 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:34 AM

View Postchriso_86, on Jul 2 2007, 08:21 PM, said:

...The thing I'm really pumped about it IBM's next cpu line being compatible with AMD sockets!! That will be nice!!

:graduated: :chriso: :talker:

#7 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:36 AM

View Postchriso_86, on Jul 2 2007, 11:21 PM, said:

Yeah, Sun is cool as well. The thing I'm really pumped about it IBM's next cpu line being compatible with AMD sockets!! That will be nice!! Little anti-intel action there!!

:talker: Sweet!

#8 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:53 AM

View Postchriso_86, on Jul 2 2007, 10:21 PM, said:

Really? Hadn't heard that. Got a link?

#9 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:27 AM

Ahhh, I don't remember where I read that. I'll look around, hopefully I'll find it. Makes sense though, AMD and IBM are pretty close buddies so it didn't surprise me when I read it.

#10 simon

simon

simon says Post

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:03 PM

AMD rules wont use anything but

#11 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:06 PM

I cast my lot with AMD. However, I fear most of that is from loyalty not performance. Oft times, loyalty is what will make a company great. That loyalty is what pulls them through in the bad times and the mistakes. I guess since I am in the computer store and for my own purchases can get a discount I may build a new AMD AM2 system. I don't need it but it would be nice to get back to AMD from this Intel rig that I am running now...talker. :talker:

#12 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:03 PM

However, I fear most of that is from loyalty not performance.

Hit the nail on the head buddy! :talker:

#13 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:15 PM

I like Intel, but what i dont like is their Trusted Computing tactics that they are putting into their chips. Makes you wonder :talker:

#14 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:22 PM

Although my newest build is an Intel Core 2 Duo (and i love it) i like AMD very very much. In the last years most of my rigs were AMD... K6-2, Duron, AthlonXP, Athlon64... I also had a Celeron 300 (sadly) and still have an old good Pentium III.

I'm almost sure that my next build will be an AMD real quad-core, maybe in the end of 2008 or begining of 2009.

Thats very interesting..... i found this:

http://www.theinquir...x?article=38470

and this:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/Virtual...~112780,00.html

AMD Announces Socket Compatibility Plans to Drive Industry Collaboration

Sun Microsystems, Cray, Fujitsu Siemens Computers, HP, Dell and IBM Endorse Open Collaboration through AMD Torrenza Initiative to Enable Socket-Compatibility

Sunnyvale, Calif. -- September 21, 2006 --AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced that its Torrenza Initiative is serving as a collaborative force toward achieving future processor socket compatibility in the server industry. By leveraging the advantages of AMD64 with Direct Connect Architecture and HyperTransport™ technology, OEMs will be able to standardize on a Torrenza Innovation Socket for many of their current and future server platforms. This game-changing approach to server design will enable OEMs to consolidate server offerings for multiple processors to potentially a single platform, reducing datacenter disruption and deployment costs for customers. The Torrenza initiative is establishing AMD64 as the Open Innovation Platform.

Leading server OEMs that develop silicon or intend to design products uniquely enabled by the Torrenza Initiative, including Cray, Fujitsu Siemens Computers, HP, IBM, Dell and Sun Microsystems, have endorsed Torrenza as an open innovation initiative, and plan to evaluate the Torrenza Innovation Socket.

“This next phase in the Torrenza initiative would not be possible without the enthusiasm and desire of our partners to enable open innovation and greater collaboration across the computing ecosystem,” said Marty Seyer, senior vice president, Commercial Segment, AMD. “Together, we recognize that the impact of Torrenza can be far-reaching across the industry in reducing complexity for customers while increasing the pace of innovation both in silicon and platforms. Datacenter managers will immediately recognize the impact of the Torrenza open environment, and benefit from the enhanced cooperation at the platform level, with new levels of platform stability, upgradeability, flexibility, and capabilities for their server infrastructure.”

The Torrenza Advantage
The Torrenza Innovation Socket enables OEMs who develop their own silicon to take full advantage of an x86 environment and the accompanying economics associated with packaging, chipsets and motherboard designs. OEMs will be able to contribute to and obtain the Torrenza Innovation Socket Specification and associated design documentation.

“As a leader in the open movement, IBM applauds AMD for taking this step and always welcomes partners that take an open and collaborative approach to innovation,” said Bernie Meyerson, IBM Fellow and chief technologist, IBM Systems & Technology Group. “By working with AMD and joint clients such as Los Alamos National Laboratories, we are collaborating to deliver new value by leveraging this open approach.”

“Sun sees incredible innovation opportunity associated with this latest step in the Torrenza initiative across all of our product lines,” said Mike Splain, chief technologist and CTO, Systems Group, Sun Microsystems. “Developing silicon for the Torrenza Innovation Socket is something we are currently evaluating for all Sun platforms as it presents an interesting value proposition for leveraging volume economics while giving our customers the growth flexibility they require.”

“When combined with our HP BladeSystem Solutions Builder Program, the AMD Torrenza initiative becomes a very effective way to deliver high-value computing services to specialized market segments,” said Dwight Barron, HP Fellow and chief technologist, BladeSystem Division, HP. “The industry has been looking for a way to leverage industry-standard, high-volume IT components to solve the next tier of specialized computing problems, and HP sees this as a way to address that need.”

"Supercomputing places heavy demands on performance and thus innovation," said Jan Silverman, Cray's senior vice president of corporate strategy and business development. "Our Adaptive Supercomputing vision puts us on the edge of computer technology advancements. With the Torrenza Innovation Socket and the emerging Torrenza ecosystem, we can leverage additional innovations to extend the realized performance people have come to expect from Cray."

“Fujitsu Siemens Computers sees the value in AMD’s Torrenza initiative, and has already developed technology for it. We are able to connect two 2-socket servers seamlessly, turning them into a 4-way, or 8-core SMP as a result of Torrenza,” said Joseph Reger, CTO, Fujitsu Siemens Computers. “Upgradeability of systems from 2-way to 8-core is a Torrenza innovation from Fujitsu Siemens Computers that improves customers’ server longevity, and reduces total cost of ownership.”

“Dell is excited about the open innovation approach provided by AMD. The benefits of purpose-built processing elements complementing the AMD Opteron processor are powerful,” said Kevin Kettler, Chief Technology Officer, Dell. “The flexibility of Torrenza Initiative technology will allow Dell to continue to deliver cutting edge solutions to our enterprise customers.”

Through the Torrenza Initiative, the AMD64 computing platform is opened for industry-wide innovation, such as connecting non-AMD accelerators to AMD64 systems via HyperTransport technology links. Torrenza supports a range of integration innovations from interconnections leveraging HyperTransport, to co-processors accessing HyperTransport, to plug-in co-processors that directly harness the speed and communications delivered by HyperTransport.

#15 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:51 PM

Hehe... We, followers of AMD, lead once again, and scara is alone :talker:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users