Consumers favour HD DVD over Blu-ray due to negative perception of Sony

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: HD vs. Blu-ray

Would you get HD or Blu-ray

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:06 PM

A US-based survey which suggests that a major factor in consumer negativity about the Blu-ray high definition optical disc format is a distrust of Sony, and annoyance from some gamers that they're forced to adopt Blu-ray if they get a PS3.

Cymfony, a market influence analytics company, discovered that positive discussions about HD DVD were 46% higher than Blu-ray, with over twice as many post authors stating being "impressed with HD DVD" versus "impressed with Blu-ray"

The study was independent, so not sponsored by any company with a direct interest in one of the formats. Some consumer comments that came out of the survey included:

"Sony, on the other hand, has a track record of starting format wars, and losing them too. Beta, mini-disc, umd, and atrac have all been huge flops, but they just don't seem to learn their lesson because they're too greedy." -- phishbook.com

"There are other issues too; the sheer arrogance of Sony is incredible, and puts me off wanting to support them." -- avforums.com

"What if you don't give a damn about watching movies on your game console? What if you prefer to buy a separate HD player? That's the rub. Sony forces you to buy Blu-ray. MS doesn't force you to buy HD-DVD. It's about giving the consumer options. Bargain my arse, as a consumer I prefer options." -- forums.adventuregamers.com

Read more @ Tech Digest

#2 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:03 PM

View PostNvyseal, on Dec 7 2006, 01:06 PM, said:

"What if you don't give a damn about watching movies on your game console? What if you prefer to buy a separate HD player? That's the rub. Sony forces you to buy Blu-ray. MS doesn't force you to buy HD-DVD. It's about giving the consumer options. Bargain my arse, as a consumer I prefer options." -- forums.adventuregamers.com
Of course Sony doesn't want to give the consumer options. Why would they? It's one of their biggest investments. They're selling Blu-ray drives at a huge loss, probably a loss of at least $100 per unit just to get them in homes. If HD-DVD wins, then Sony has a big problem. But if Blu-ray wins, I don't think it would mean a lot to Microsoft. I don't think MS has invested nearly as much money in next-gen DVD technology as Sony has.

Also, the guy still has the option of not buying a PS3. I guess he hasn't considered that. :blink:

#3 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:49 PM

Dave, you don't have the option in the poll for buying both. Which is what I am going to do. That way I don't care which one will win.

#4 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:09 PM

View Postchriso_86, on Dec 7 2006, 02:49 PM, said:

Dave, you don't have the option in the poll for buying both. Which is what I am going to do. That way I don't care which one will win.
Yea you do! :blink:

#5 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:29 AM

That ChrisoCheeto will buy anything! I'm happy with DVD. Piss on anthing with more DRM!!! :blink:

#6 bluerip

bluerip

BS Meter embedded, BS attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:All things SciFi, Hidden Science,& Hiddin Truth

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:16 AM

Definitely get an upconverting dvr or player. It makes your old DVDs LOOK GREAT. no kidding. you'd hardly know the dif. And in a few years, after the the format war is over, and the products are cheap, it really won't matter then. The next big deal will be Crystal VRs or players. Or maybe it will all be on chips instead of disks. And you will see bluerays for cheap at the second hand shops like Goodwill or St. Vincent's :blink:

anyway the point is that these upconverting players work really well without the $1000.00 a pop for HD or Blueray.

and you won't have to sell your kid!

Edited by bluerip, 08 December 2006 - 04:21 AM.

#7 godless

godless

GTA 4 is a ps2 relic with better graphics...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:49 AM

numbers will show who wins, versus general opinion, just what i think anywayz

Blu-ray vs HD DVD :blink:

#8 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:09 AM

Well, I would say Blu ray is pulling ahead. They are getting more and more movies out at a far better rate then HD DVD is doing. Which in my opinion is the way to win the war. They are also getting their players a lot cheaper. I have decided to no longer buy HD DVD movies for my player, I think it is going to lose.

#9 bluerip

bluerip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:58 AM

well I am boycotting sony so no blueray for me (even if it is "blue" :yahoo: )
honestly hd or blueray really only shows a diff if u have a huge display anyway. so unless your panel is 60" (if youre sitting close) or more u really won't notice anything worth the bucks spent. If u want to notice a huge difference for the money spend the difference on your "honey" instead. u will get much more in return! :) ;)

#10 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:44 PM

LOL, good point!! However, I respectfully disagree. I have my HD-DVD player running on my 1080i LCD that is only 26 inches, and believe me you can tell the difference. So, can anyone else that I show.

#11 bluerip

bluerip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 04:32 AM

View Postchriso_86, on May 21 2007, 07:44 AM, said:

LOL, good point!! However, I respectfully disagree. I have my HD-DVD player running on my 1080i LCD that is only 26 inches, and believe me you can tell the difference. So, can anyone else that I show.

;) so for $100.00 you can buy an upcoverting dvd player playing regular dvds in 1080i lets say on your 26" LCD. now plug in the blueray disc into a bluyray player ($500-$1000) kick back, watch the movie and explain again to your wife why that extra $400-$900 makes such a difference. Do you mean to tell me that she would say,"yes, Honey, thats great". Or would she be thinking of all the cloths she could be buying or whatever.
in this case is it really that noticeable? cuz if it is then I stand corrected. :) :yahoo:

#12 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:20 AM

I agree, it is all about the dvd player, really an they are relativily cheap enough while that HD-DVD an Blueray are not.

#13 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:02 PM

View Postbluerip, on May 21 2007, 11:32 PM, said:

:yahoo: so for $100.00 you can buy an upcoverting dvd player playing regular dvds in 1080i lets say on your 26" LCD. now plug in the blueray disc into a bluyray player ($500-$1000) kick back, watch the movie and explain again to your wife why that extra $400-$900 makes such a difference. Do you mean to tell me that she would say,"yes, Honey, thats great". Or would she be thinking of all the cloths she could be buying or whatever.
in this case is it really that noticeable? cuz if it is then I stand corrected. :) :o

First of all I'm not married so I could careless. I only have me myself and I to please. ;) Secondly, those 1080i players make a difference but the algorithm it uses to convert from 480p to 1080i isn't high def by any stretch. And the price of next gen. format players are falling like crazy. And yes, I agree in some movies you can't tell much of a difference. However, there are once that you can tell very very easily. For example Planet Earth documentary which I have on Blu ray, King Kong on HD DVD, etc.

View PostCamaro, on May 22 2007, 02:20 AM, said:

I agree, it is all about the dvd player, really an they are relativily cheap enough while that HD-DVD an Blueray are not.

You can get a HD-DVD for 300 now, of 200 if you already have a xbox 360. I think the cheapest blu ray I've seen is like 500 still but they came out later. All in all their prices are actually dropping faster then when DVD's first came out. So, in that case the compitition is actually helping us out.

#14 bluerip

bluerip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:16 AM

Thats cool. I made my point and it works for me . You made your point and it not only works for you, but I'll give it another look when the opportunity arises. :)

#15 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:04 PM

Well, if you have the TV, the willpower, and the money to drive then take another look yes. The amount of movies available in both formats has more then doubled in the last 6 months which is a good rate if you ask me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users