What keeps you using Windows

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: What makes you stick to using Microsoft Windows

Tell us

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:08 PM

To be honest I love linux but I feel when it comes to multimedia Windows can not be beaten. Saying that my favorite audio program only runs in linux Amarok. But I am forced to use Windows because I can not live with out a mp3 enchancer called DFX.

And your reason(s)?

#2 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:40 PM

I would more than love to switch fully over to Linux and see the great empire of Microsoft crumble but I just can't get over not having programs that I use everyday such as iTunes, and other simple programs that make life easier. People just don't like change! Someday when I have a kid I will start him off with a linux machine and not a Windows in the hope that he will grow up to be able to fully use linux. It is like a foreign language, you have to start learning young inorder to learn it well!!

#3 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:42 PM

I wont knock MS. Really they are the only company that seems to have their act together as far as making an all around good OS. I wouldn't even complain about the price of the OS. Heck i use it every day, and times that by 3 to 5 years, i think i get my money's worth.

#4 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:45 PM

what about going mac? i would love to use it on my rig. apps that i like, such as photoshop, itunes, etc. are a shoe in.

#5 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:55 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Aug 25 2006, 01:45 PM, said:

what about going mac? i would love to use it on my rig. apps that i like, such as photoshop, itunes, etc. are a shoe in.
We had a mac here at work. Software was expensive, peripherals were expensive, freeware was almost non-existant. and the damn thing kept running out of memory or crashing (yes, Mac's crash - a lot) Keep in mind, it was OS7x i believe, but compared to a windows 98 machine we were running it in parallel with, the windows box won hands down.

And actually, anything you can do on a Mac, you can do on a PC

#6 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:06 PM

To be honest I don't think Windows is so populer because its the best operating system out there. Its because Microsoft hit it big with simplistic computing this is what people want. Wether they admit it or not

#7 Scuba

Scuba

I see you!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:31 PM

I agree. Microsoft came out strong with an easy to use OS that didnt scare users away. I like to use MS becasue i have used it my whole life. Im now starting to get into Linux, and i know it will take time to fully understand it, but i also would like to see the MS empire come down.

#8 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:36 PM

Im sorry to disagree with the two of you, but i have/want to use what the world uses. Until someone can come along and give me a package deal, where everything works, in a secure enviroment i wont use anything else.

#9 tc1

tc1

Charlie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:Anything concerning computers

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:19 PM

I have used linux, but windows is much more user friendly and i guess i'm just too lazy to put the effort into linux :rofl:

#10 mark64

mark64

AKA driffter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:44 PM

I wouldnt want to see MS go down the tubes, I like MS products.
They made the PC industry what it is today and without it we all might just be typing in DOS right now with out the internet and all the other things we love about computing.

As for Linux, I think the only thing holding them back is gaming and the install shield.
just MHO.

#11 David_Heavey

David_Heavey

=IBF2= Cofounder

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:22 PM

I just like it's simplicity. I've dabled into Linux distros but never had the time to really get stuck into them so I still use Windows.

#12 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:06 PM

Yeah, I don't have a ton of luck with linux. I find that installing a program in linux to be a huge pain.

#13 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:55 AM

Many technical progs that i use just work on Windows and i do like Win2k3 :blink:

#14 clarky3429

clarky3429

No I will not fix your computer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 12:21 AM

pretty much media and compatibility is a lot better software wise in windows

#15 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 03:20 AM

I agree with everyone here, linux is not as user friendly, I like the point an click an installing ease that windows has, however its not as secure which is prolly why linux is not quite that easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users