End of 32bit?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Is 32bit on its way out?

What do you think?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:24 AM

With all the new Core 2 Duo's of Intel and Quads from AMD, Do you see an end in sight for 32bit or do you think people will keep using 32 bit OS's and applications on these machines?

#2 simon

simon

simon says Post

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 05:07 AM

I think 32 bit will die in a few yrs because there is always a few that say well lets wait until is better and theres not as many problems, then we have the cost factor ( it costs me to much I just bought this computer why should I buy a 64 bit ) and soooo on !

#3 tc1

tc1

Charlie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:Anything concerning computers

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:47 AM

I think deff. in a few yrs, with the cpu microchips being introduced and experimented with, it's inevible, prob. even 64 bit will be obsolete within the new few yrs.

#4 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:25 AM

It will be a few years. What would make it quicker is when they stop making 32bit software, which will be not too soon. Having all the best hardware and software working under 64bit will definately speed things up, and when games start to show a difference in performance under 64bit then you won't be able to stop the exudus from 32bit.

#5 clarky3429

clarky3429

No I will not fix your computer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:50 AM

id say not for another 5 years, its still there, slowly being phased out though

#6 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:31 PM

The end is defintley coming and I think it will be sooner than we all think. Especially with only the 64 bit of Vista supporting HDTV

#7 bluerip

bluerip

BS Meter embedded, BS attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:All things SciFi, Hidden Science,& Hiddin Truth

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:08 AM

View PostLinoman, on Aug 25 2006, 05:31 PM, said:

The end is defintley coming and I think it will be sooner than we all think. Especially with only the 64 bit of Vista supporting HDTV

Good point.

#8 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:41 AM

that issue has turned out to be not true, and there will be HD via 32 bit vista. we will see, as the hardware industry is always ahead of the software writers, because of the general expections of what the public wants and "needs"...

#9 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:47 PM

I think that in the next 2 or 3 years people will still use 32-bit software on 64-bit machines 'cos of software upgrade costs.

#10 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:02 PM

I think it'll take a few years, considering the change for drivers, which doesn't seem to go as smooth as wished, and the notebooks still sold 32. As well as the now somewhat 2 year old systems. It won't disappear right away, it'll take some time

#11 BlueScreenOfDeath

BlueScreenOfDeath

~* Hardware & Beta Guru *~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:45 PM

too many bumps in the road still on the journey to 64 . I know my desktop will be full 64 vista and Longhorn server when it rtm's so my only problem will be finding the driver support and what not. But after all that catches up - 32 will be a memory like 16bit

#12 bluerip

bluerip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:All things SciFi, Hidden Science,& Hiddin Truth

Posted 25 September 2006 - 10:48 PM

The sooner they understand that 64-bit is so incredibly more stable, and definitely worth it, they will tumble in droves to 64-bit. It only takes educating the masses to this which really is controlled by advertising. So blame the producers if it is slower than it should be. (This has been a blue's clue blathering-take it as you will) :chriso:

#13 GSG-9

GSG-9

Kicking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:Computers,<br />Drums/Sleeping,<br />Work (I guess?).<br />(In that order)

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:38 PM

View Postbluerip, on Sep 25 2006, 05:48 PM, said:

The sooner they understand that 64-bit is so incredibly more stable, and definitely worth it, they will tumble in droves to 64-bit. It only takes educating the masses to this which really is controlled by advertising. So blame the producers if it is slower than it should be. (This has been a blue's clue blathering-take it as you will) :storm:

I agree with that, I have been using only 64-bit for a little over a year now I think, Even In the beta I was not 2x booting a lot.

If Vista x64 was not so big I would be using that, but I am not going to right now because it takes so long to download.

#14 bluerip

bluerip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:All things SciFi, Hidden Science,&amp; Hiddin Truth

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:26 AM

View PostGSG-9, on Sep 27 2006, 01:38 PM, said:

I agree with that, I have been using only 64-bit for a little over a year now I think, Even In the beta I was not 2x booting a lot.

If Vista x64 was not so big I would be using that, but I am not going to right now because it takes so long to download.

Yeah all the previous ver.s that I tried failed to load on my 64-bit machine. I got so many auth codes they won't give me any more downloads :lol: so I'm resigned to waiting. I think I might wait until Vista SP2. By that time most of the security issues will be known. Besides I'm so invested in WinXPPro64 as it is right now. It's working great. I love it! :rofl: :storm: :P

#15 David_Heavey

David_Heavey

=IBF2= Cofounder

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:31 AM

I think yes. But not in the near future. To be honest, as long as MS releases 32 bit OSs it will alwys be here. If I had drivers for my TV card (damn Avermedia) I'd never use x32 anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users