RAID 0 - Striping Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 12:17 AM

What is your take on the best Striping size for a RAID 0 Setup?

There seems to be quite a lot of conflicting opinions on this subject and seeing as I will be setting up mine in next few days.....I'd love your thoughts on the matter.

Even better if you have plenty hands-on experience with different settings :lol: :(

Here is one take on the subject.......

Configuring the optimal RAID solution actually depends a lot on what you intend to use it for. For most business environments where data availability is of extreme importance, RAID 1 would be the best choice. We have already seen in the WinBench disk tests that although RAID 1 (mirroring) theoretically cuts writing performance in half, that fact did not really translate into bad scores in the tests. In fact, it was at the very least on par with a normal single disk setup. So, there's really nothing to lose but all to gain from a RAID 1 array.

However, for casual users or gamers, you would probably want the faster data throughput that RAID 0 (striping) offers. As we have examined so far, stripe sizes between 2KB up till 16KB seem to offer the best read performance. However, certain stripe sizes are quite bad when it comes to writing as we have seen in the HDTach results. In the end, the stripe sizes of 4KB and 16KB appear to be the best overall choices for optimal read and write speeds.

Finally, for extremely high-end users who play around with applications that read and write really, really large files (i.e. Photoshop, Premiere), RAID 0 with a large stripe size would be a better choice. As we have seen in the High-End DiskMark results, the 512KB stripe size seems to be the best stripe size.

Even with those recommendations, I would still like to point out that there is no ultimate configuration when it comes to setting up RAID solutions. Certain stripe size may appeal to some applications but not the others. This is mainly due to different file sizes that are being read or written. Furthermore, you may be writing a humungous file today but the next day, you might need to transfer thousands of small files in and out of the disk array. This makes it rather hard to determine which setup is the best. You'll probably need to try out a few setups before you find a suitable one.

However, the hassle isn't really worth it as you can't just change stripe sizes. The process is akin to repartitioning your hard disks! So, if you don't want to go through all the hassle of finding out the optimal stripe size for your RAID 0 array, I recommend that you use RAID 0 with either a 4KB or 16KB stripe size if you need speed.

Many thx guyz! :D

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:47 AM

i go with the default settings of the controller, which on most sata and scsi is 64k. this seems to be the best all around desktop choice. again, if you are running a server, or tossing around giant files, the opposit ends of the spectrum show the best speed. after trying different sizes, the 64k for the desktop standalone workstation seems to have the best performance (raid0).

#3 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:26 AM

I agree with MO!! I am not sure how big of a difference changing that makes though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users