#1 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:50 PM

J. Dzhugashvili writes

"If you read Slashdot, odds are you already know about WiGig and the 7Gbps wireless networking it promises. The people at Atheros and Wilocity are now working on an interesting application for the spec: wireless PCI Express. In a nutshell, wPCIe enables a PCI Express switch with local and remote components linked by a 60GHz connection. The first applications, which will start sampling next year, will let you connect your laptop to a base station with all kinds of storage controllers, networking controllers, and yes, an external graphics processor. wPCIe works transparently to the operating system, which only sees additional devices connected over PCI Express. And as icing on the cake, wPCie controllers will lets you connect to standard Wi-Fi networks, too."

From Slashdot

As comments point out, 7Gbps is actually quite far from the 16GB/s that PCIe 16x offers, so it is probably not as simple as buying a wireless 5970 and sending all that power over Wifi to a netbook. However, I guess PCIe 1x is doable, and if that technology gets some support, it may be developped to achieve higher bandwidths. In the future a family could have multiple netbooks that all connect to one high-powered desktop machine. Or is this just a dream?

#2 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:11 PM

:bluerip: Nice find Hog, some interesting stuff there :clarky:

#3 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:07 AM

I had never read Slashdot before, but there's worthy readings there. Really a nice find Hog !

I loved that: http://hardware.slashdot.org/submission/12...e-in-10-minutes :bluerip:

In the future a family could have multiple netbooks that all connect to one high-powered desktop machine. Or is this just a dream?

I think it will be feasible in a not far future :clarky:

#4 highlander

highlander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:59 PM

View Posthog, on Jul 15 2010, 01:50 PM, said:

J. Dzhugashvili writes

From Slashdot
As comments point out, 7Gbps is actually quite far from the 16GB/s that PCIe 16x offers, so it is probably not as simple as buying a wireless 5970 and sending all that power over Wifi to a netbook. However, I guess PCIe 1x is doable, and if that technology gets some support, it may be developped to achieve higher bandwidths. In the future a family could have multiple netbooks that all connect to one high-powered desktop machine. Or is this just a dream?

This is great. I do not need my secondary screen attached to my pc in order to use it remotely or whatever... Great news.`

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users