11 replies to this topic

#1 LarryLaser

LarryLaser

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:36 PM

PeerBLOCK
The current replacement of PeerGuardian 2 (any version).

The Current Developers Team is constantly working on the PeerBlock to make it Compatible and Applicable to Windows Vista and Windows 7 (both x86 and x64 = 32 bit and 64 bit modes). :christo:

Their latest Priority is to get the Signed Driver Certification. ;)

Want a Signed Driver?

Yeah, you know you want it... A signed driver... So you don't need to jump through any of the hoops necessary to get unsigned drivers (like what PeerBlock - and PeerGuardian 2 before it - require to run) to load under recent versions of Windows.

PeerBlock HOME for all the Info you need.

PeerBlock is a new version (aka a "fork") of the popular Peer Guardian 2 software. It blocks "known bad" computers from accessing yours, for example governments, corporate entities, and those flagged for anti-p2p activities. Peer Block maintains the functionality of the original Peer Guardian 2 program, but includes fixes for various issues that remain unaddressed in the latest (~2 year old) version of PG2.

PeerBlock supports Windows XP, Vista, and Win7 - and maybe Windows 2000 too, (though nobody's been testing that) - in both 32- and 64-bit flavors.

Many thanks to the original developers of Peer Guardian! You've created a great piece of software, one that served us all well for many years. Hopefully at some point we'll be able to merge the changes coming to Peer Block back into PG2/PG3, but for now I'll be happy just with a piece of software that works well on my new Windows 7 64-bit machine.

Want a Signed Driver?
It's going to cost around $430+ to purchase a "code-signing certificate" that will let us generate a signed driver (including the cost of registering a company in order to be "allowed" to purchase one). Do you hate the fact that you hafta hit F8 every time you boot your machine just to get the filter-driver to load? ...or disable UAC and "test-sign" the driver? ...or shake a dead chicken while hopping on one foot and turning in a circle while chanting Kabbalistic verses? Well, then, why don't you help out and click this little button:

Your donation will be securely processed by PayPal, and will initially be used to get us a signed-driver - that is Priority #1. We're currently up to $270.32 in our signed driver fund: over 60% of the way there! ;) :jerry:

Read more about it on the PeerBlock Development Blog, including why it appears as though we need to register a company. From that page you can also donate through SourceForge.net if you'd rather.
"
Any other info you want.
PeerBlock:
Main Site - http://www.peerblock.com/
Development Blog - http://devblog.peerblock.com/
Source Code - http://code.google.com/p/peerblock/
PeerBlock r71 forum-thread! - http://forums.phoeni...ead.php?t=18771

Hope you are willing to help, best way is to Donate and/or Test

#2 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:10 PM

:christo: hmmmm this would normally be called "spam" but in this case it looks like some tasty meat , so I say good on ya Larry ;)

Edited by stormrosson, 01 August 2009 - 08:12 PM.

#3 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:51 PM

i was thinkin' the same thing, but like strom says...

#4 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:04 PM

:christo: call me naive or whatever, but I figure if this is in fact sincere, it's definitely worth 10$ for a good app so..............I'm in ;)

Edited by stormrosson, 02 August 2009 - 09:05 PM.

#5 MarkSide

MarkSide

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:37 AM

Hi there,

This is the lead developer of PeerBlock. Saw some traffic coming to peerblock.com from here and figured I'd stop by to say "Hi!".

I and the other couple of guys working on this project are pretty pleased with how far it's come already, we really feel we're making good progress against a number of issues that've plagued PeerGuardian for a long time now. And yes, we really are saving up for a Signed Driver Fund... Believe me, I want that thing as much as anyone else!

Oh, while I'm here, we also just released a new bugfix release, PeerBlock 0.9.2. A few people (3, out of the 800+ downloads so far) have reported a crash-causing bug with 0.9.1, so we wanted to get out a fix for that issue ASAP. So if you've already downloaded 0.9.1, I'd strongly recommend upgrading. Sorry for the inconvenience if anyone's one of the few people who've run into this...

And stormrosson, thanks for your donation - I sent you a "Thank You email" but in case it was flagged as spam or something figured I'd repeat my thanks here. =;)

If anyone encounters any bugs, or has any ideas for new features, please send me an email and let me know!

Thanks,

--- Mark ---

#6 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:10 AM

:christo: No prob Mark , glad to help a little . I think I speak for most of the peeps here cause a number of us I know have used or are using PG2. Keep us posted on progress with the project and WELCOME to our humble site, stop in anytime this is good mellow, freindly bunch btw Steve Balmer and Vishna G. from microslop occasionally drop in and post here could be some good exsposure ....meh ,who knows ;)

Edited by stormrosson, 05 August 2009 - 03:14 AM.

#7 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:23 PM

:rofl_mini: Sweet! See, it pays to keep in touch here at my home away from home. Time to try her out.

#8 scaramonga

scaramonga

CALLING ALL STATIONS

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:20 PM

Customized ipfilter.dat does me :rofl_mini:

#9 MarkSide

MarkSide

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:06 PM

Hey guys, just wanted to update y'all that we just last night released a new PeerBlock Interim Release, one which contains a real signed-driver! So no more disabling UAC and test-signing the driver with UAC, or hitting F8 and disabling driver-signing checking every time you reboot your machine. Woo-hoo!

Not quite stable enough yet for us to consider it at v1.0, but we're getting awfully close...

Check it out here if you're interested: PeerBlock r162 Interim Release

Hope it runs as stably for you as it has been for me...!

--- Mark ---

#10 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:08 PM

:) good news ,progress is always good imo .I'll d/l this ver and give it a go ,thx Mark :)

#11 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:18 PM

Got it and installed it on Win7 x64...so far so good. Thanks!

#12 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:44 PM

Seems to work very fine here.
Win7 X64 too.

BTW, is there an option to add wildcards to the allow-list?
Since I know for example CCP uses a range of IP's, and allowing them all is a bit like doing everything over and over again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users