19 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:44 PM

images/news/vista.jpgWindows Vista didn't make a smooth market entrance; in fact, nearly every aspect of the operating system has been attacked since its release on January 30, 2007. Multiple SKUs allegedly confused customers, anti-DRM groups disliked Vista's Protected Video Path and its overall DRM friendliness, and Microsoft's definition of "Vista Capable" got the company sued. Toss in a plethora of bugs and the usual consumer backlash over GUI changes, and you'd think consumers would be avoiding Vista in droves. According to new information, however, they aren't—Vista's adoption rate over the past year actually exceeded XP's in 2001, and consumers apparently choose Vista over XP by a 7:1 margin.

ARSTechnica

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:46 PM

yep, i can see it now: scara clutching his copy of vista, refusing to install that "windows 7 bloat"... :mail1:

#3 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:50 PM

I think to an extent that might be because microsoft pushed vista down everyone's throat, every pc has vista on it, look what happened when the option to keep xp was finally brought out, although this guy says that the users that choose to get the xp "downgrade" are a minority, I got to wonder how many know they have that choice? as most just buy a basic computer they do not go through and look at all the options, they just buy what is in there budget.

infact right now im looking on dells website looking at the cheapest desktop, it gives me options to upgrade from vista home basic to premium but no xp option.

Edited by Camaro, 07 January 2008 - 10:54 PM.

#4 highlander

highlander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:17 AM

Overall vista is a good OS.... not as bad as people point it out to be... The main reason why people adopted vista faster than xp was because microsoft made available a lot more drivers with its initial release.. It gave a wide open beta testing and it looks neater than xp ever did.... Even with aero turned off...

It has issues... al os's have them... its practically impossible with the amount of different configurations to not have those issues... but they have resolved them little by little.. .by the time vista has the time that xp has now, we will have one good os better than xp ever hoped to be... and xp was an awesome OS...

With XP you could use a PC with 512mb ram... but with 1gb made a whole lot of a difference in speed.... with 98 you only needed 256 but 512 did the same in speed as 1gb to xp... well.. now.. 2gb gives you the same type of boost and with memory prices being its lowest its really stupid to blame the lack of ram....

Anyways...

To each its own.. I really like it and I see no reason to go back to XP. Then again... I have a q6600 and 8800gts 640mb @3.7GHz running it, so its a decent pc for what it does....

I dual booted for a long time with xp... and vista was always faster than xp in every single application except 3dmarks. But loading adobe (insert your program here) was always faster, word, excel, word perfect.. YOU NAME IT. In the end... it made for a better system...

#5 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:32 AM

yeah, i agree, i really find vista does what i want, more so than xp.

#6 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:34 AM

Couldn't agree more with ya highlander. i played with win95, 98 loved ME because it let me tweak the OS, moved to XP, 2000, 2003 and have been using Vista for over 2 years now. All the OS's have some faults to them, but all have good points too. I don't think SP1 for Vista will be a big thing, Just as SP1 to XP was really nothing big, but SP2 will refine Vista into a great OS.

#7 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:44 AM

It really isn't so surprising that Vista is outselling XP- although I would question the 7 to 1 margin.
Almost everyone is going to use whatever OS is on the computer when they buy it and never change.
Vista was "forced" upon most people so they will keep it.
I suppose the figures may surprise most people in this forum since they are not your average computer user but actually build and load their own computers with OS and other software. Those people who are in the know about performance are more than a little disappointed in Vista. While we like the bling we hate the bloat.

I still have hope that Vista will indeed follow the path of XP and become a powerful OS in the not too distant future.

#8 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:39 AM

View PostRoadrunner, on Jan 7 2008, 06:44 PM, said:

It really isn't so surprising that Vista is outselling XP- although I would question the 7 to 1 margin.
Almost everyone is going to use whatever OS is on the computer when they buy it and never change.
Vista was "forced" upon most people so they will keep it.
I suppose the figures may surprise most people in this forum since they are not your average computer user but actually build and load their own computers with OS and other software. Those people who are in the know about performance are more than a little disappointed in Vista. While we like the bling we hate the bloat.

I still have hope that Vista will indeed follow the path of XP and become a powerful OS in the not too distant future.

Here's what amazes me:

Apple:
They build their own components, then they make an OS to run on their own hardware. Very simple, you take what they give you, like a car lot. here are our fords, pick one.

On the other hand there is Microsoft:
An individual goes to a computer store or shops online or both. Picks up one or TWO processors out of hundreds produced or have been produced 10 years in the past, be it single core, dual core, quad core x86 or x64

Looks through the thousands of motherboards made

Buys anywhere from generic value RAM to the most expensive premium RAM or even MIXES the two

Looks for a GPU, AGP, PCI, PCI Express, some even run TWO GPU's not even identical

Storage, SATA, PATA/IDE, Flash Optical, Floppy, USB, NTFS, FAT, the list goes on...

Now we have that PSU with all those whacky drivers (you get the idea 20pin/24pin)

Im not going to even get into peripherals and all the makes HP, Sony, Toshiba, Lexmark, iOmega, Mustek, Apple, Canon - all do something different

Now you take it all home and begin to put that mazda fender on that chevy body, add that toyota dashboard, subaru seats, cal custom rims. You uncrate that supercharged hemi mopar engine and carefully set it into that nissan frame and slap on that honda radiator you got a bargain on, on eBay.

I think you see where im going with this, I truly give Microsoft credit making OS's time and time again where almost ALL components work. old, new and even stuff that hasn't even been invented yet. Sure, out of the gate you may run into bugs, but with millions of consumers putting the thousands of components together and wanting one OS to work on it, id say thats a lot to ask for.

#9 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:00 AM

that would be my take also...

#10 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:33 AM

true but they get paid the big bucks for that.

and to be perfectly fair all the hardware manufacture's have to make the drivers and have to make sure they work well with windows O/S

#11 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:35 AM

Vista, i cho cho chooose you! Well said Mr. X.

#12 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:59 AM

View PostCamaro, on Jan 7 2008, 08:33 PM, said:

and to be perfectly fair all the hardware manufacture's have to make the drivers and have to make sure they work well with windows O/S
Could you please call ATI in the morning and tell them that? My ATI AIW Pro tuner still has no driver for it in Vista

Thank you

#13 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:31 AM

lol
and could you blame microsoft, or AMD, ATI for that. its a split 50/50 I think in how people lay blame.

#14 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:42 AM

Well YOU said...

View PostCamaro, on Jan 7 2008, 08:33 PM, said:

and then...

View PostCamaro, on Jan 7 2008, 10:31 PM, said:

lol
and could you blame microsoft, or AMD, ATI for that. its a split 50/50 I think in how people lay blame.

Changing your tune?? :mail1: Why should Microsoft have to now start making drivers for hardware manufactures? Heck, MS could take the easy route and just start making its own hardware for its own OS like Apple, and like Apple make it obsolete in 3 years and you the stupid consumer have to buy a whole new system if you want to keep up with technology

#15 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:54 AM

I said people will blame one or the other, or even both, and you did say microsoft has to make sure it works with all hardware, even old and stuff not out yet. lol
me personally I lay the hardware problems at the feet of the manufacture. until or unless they lay everything out on the table for open source guys to do what they do the making the hardware work is their responsiblility, however I also see microsofts refusal to divulge there code as hindering the manufactures job. so they are partly to blame as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users