* * * * * 1 votes

Vista is Watching You...

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:40 PM

images/news/vista.jpg"Are you using Windows Vista? Then you might as well know that the licensed operating system installed on your machine is harvesting a healthy volume of information for Microsoft. In this context, a program such as the Windows Genuine Advantage is the last of your concerns. In fact, in excess of 20 Windows Vista features and services are hard at work collecting and transmitting your personal data to the Redmond company."

Softpedia

#2 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:06 PM

I read this, but seeing its kinda old news didnt post it, but its kinda scary huh! :talker:

#3 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:46 AM

View Postscaramonga, on Jul 2 2007, 03:40 PM, said:

<div style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 115%">"Are you using Windows Vista? Then you might as well know that the licensed operating system installed on your machine is harvesting a healthy volume of information for Microsoft. In this context, a program such as the Windows Genuine Advantage is the last of your concerns. In fact, in excess of 20 Windows Vista features and services are hard at work collecting and transmitting your personal data to the Redmond company."

Softpedia</div>
I guess this means the world's next billionaire will be the developer of a program to strip the personal data on the fly. :talker:

#4 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:09 PM

Its really quite scary :graduated:

I wonder if they already know about my pr0n collection :chriso:

I guess this means the world's next billionaire will be the developer of a program to strip the personal data on the fly.

:talker:

#5 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:10 PM

I went to my favorite security forum and found a monster discussion on this topic.

http://www.dslreport...02129~days=9999

After reading through all 8 pages... I say FUD. Particularly because of the posts by Blake author of Link Logger a router monitoring software. He usually has a least 1 honey pot going just to see what the latest nasties are and where they are coming from. I've read enough of his posts over the years to know if he isn't worried, there is no reason for me to be. The thread is a good read. :lust:

Edited by WFO, 10 July 2007 - 11:11 PM.

#6 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:26 PM

thanks for the link, W :lust:

#7 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:28 PM

It's about time "we" (because I am not a Microsoft products user except for my keyboard :) ) are gonna watch Microsoft! :lust:

Ah well, I think we shouldn't be too afraid of the watching, because privacy rules will be monitored I guess...

#8 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:40 PM

Interesting :lust: Thanks WFO

...and please dont say FUD around Scaramonga :) no need to get him excited

#9 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:44 PM

View PostNvyseal, on Jul 10 2007, 04:40 PM, said:

Interesting :) Thanks WFO

...and please dont say FUD around Scaramonga :P no need to get him excited
:lust:

#10 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:47 AM

View PostNvyseal, on Jul 10 2007, 04:40 PM, said:

Interesting :) Thanks WFO

...and please dont say FUD around Scaramonga :P no need to get him excited

LOL... I have to say that I have been pretty anti-Vista and it turned out not even being Vista's fault. I waded through 1 DFI 975x/g, 2- ICFX3200T2R/Gs and 3 DFI Infinity P965s' before giving up on DFI altogether. The first Asus P5K Vanilla installed Vista 64 with no issues except I didn't do my research and found the only Raid it supported was on a couple e-sata ports. :lust: I'm now on my 8th motherboard and Asus P5K Deluxe. With the exception of Vista's not copying large files well... it runs pretty nice. :) Vista just wouldn't install on a DFI mobo with a quad. It installed fine with a dual-core. Their boards handle a quad fine if you run XP or X64. They are allergic to Vista and a quad.

There were pretty good arguments on both sides. The clincher for me was when Blake cited the author of the article's past history of stretching the truth past the point of credibility. :P

Sorry if this bursts your bubble Scara! ;)

#11 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:00 AM

View PostWFO, on Jul 10 2007, 05:47 PM, said:

With the exception of Vista's not copying large files well... it runs pretty nice.
For now, turn off your "indexing". This seems to help speed things along from one drive to another or folder to folder, but not from moving large files from and to a USB device. SP1 may fix this problem.

and yes, THIS LIST wasnt supposed to be leaked from connect, but it seems it has

#12 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:31 AM

very interesting... :lust: :)

#13 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:48 AM

Nice list.

but not from moving large files from and to a USB device

It's a real pain... sometimes the copy speed is comparable to my internet conection (< 400 KB/s) :lust: SP1 must fix that.

#14 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:56 AM

i know, it drives me nuts. and for me to be more nuts than i am, that's a lot...

#15 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:03 AM

My specific problem is copying files larger than 3.5 GB. I have 4GB of ram but Vista caches everything. I run out of memory and have to reboot to reclaim it. :) If there is a work around the tech I spoke to a MS didn't know it. :lust:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users