#1 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:36 PM

http://www.portfolio.com/news-markets/top-...earing-Strategy

How big are the stakes in the so-called network neutrality debate now raging before Congress and federal regulators?

Consider this: One side in the debate actually went to the trouble of hiring people off the street to pack a Federal Communications Commission meeting yesterday—and effectively keep some of its opponents out of the room.

Broadband giant Comcast—the subject of the F.C.C. hearing on network neutrality at the Harvard Law School, in Cambridge, Massachusetts—acknowledged that it did exactly that.

Comcast spokeswoman Jennifer Khoury said that the company paid some people to arrive early and hold places in the queue for local Comcast employees who wanted to attend the hearing.

Some of those placeholders, however, did more than wait in line: They filled many of the seats at the meeting, according to eyewitnesses. As a result, scores of Comcast critics and other members of the public were denied entry because the room filled up well before the beginning of the hearing.

Posted Image
"Two men apparently sleeping during an F.C.C. hearing at Harvard on Monday.
Comcast acknowledged that it paid some people off the street to hold places in line
for its employees, but denied they took seats in the hearing room." Photograph courtesy of: Free Press

#2 TheBearLT

TheBearLT

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:45 PM

Homeless shelter ?! :)

#3 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:30 PM

View PostTheBearLT, on Feb 27 2008, 11:45 AM, said:

Homeless shelter ?! :)
i wonder...

#4 bluerip

bluerip

BS Meter embedded, BS attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:All things SciFi, Hidden Science,& Hiddin Truth

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:33 AM

I hate Comcast. After being under their evel thumb (creative license) for many years I am proud to say that I have dumped them for DirecTV. Loving every minute of it :rofl_mini:

#5 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:48 AM

I have a choice between Comcast or a dumbed-down version of Wide Open West that resembles broadband the way I resemble an Ambercrombie and Fitch model, which is to say, their net speeds are to Comcast as I am to Ron Jeremy. Well, I have a goatee too but you know what I mean.

And my city taxes (trash, gas, snow removal) actually go up if I use another cable/broadband company. My city has only one "approved" broadband company and it's Comcast.

Comcast can catch a square toe in the nuts but they're the only option in my little house outside of Detroit. And that, I think, is the problem----where the f%%k is the oversight that started back in 1850 with regard to anti-trust in the States? Verizon's fios is supposed to be available here in 2013. Great.

Net neutrality, I believe, is as important an issue as the end to Jim Crow, the women's suffragette movement, etc. The freedom of information is sacrosanct for a free people.

Please, please, please join the fight. Link.

P.S.---all of us need to fight the Trusted Computing Group thing too. Even if net neutrality survives, the TCG could do an end-around.

Edited by banj0, 04 March 2008 - 07:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users