19 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:08 PM

California is to ban the use of cell phones by drivers in a moving vehicle unless they are using a hands-free device.

Gov. Schwarzenegger today signed the bill which comes into force in July 2008 for private drivers and July 1, 2011 for drivers of commercial vehicles who use push-to-talk handsets. The fines for getting caught are derisory: $20 for a first offence and $50 for repeat offenders.

July 2008 and July 2011? isn't this a wee bit long to put into force? In the meantime, how many people will die from cell phone accidents?. Do you think this is a reasonable timeframe?

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:53 PM

i think this is the 5th try by the original proponent of the bill (not arnie!). like, this should have happend many years ago. arnie is just placating the sofa king types w/ the late effective date...

#3 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 17 September 2006 - 07:11 PM

Bummer, I was hoping the fine would be a visit from the Terminator!!

#4 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 17 September 2006 - 09:11 PM

Why are they trying? Here we are only allowed to call handsfree, and trust me, even that is dangerous imo, especially on a motorbike...

#5 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:36 AM

View PostSphere, on Sep 17 2006, 02:11 PM, said:

Why are they trying? Here we are only allowed to call handsfree, and trust me, even that is dangerous imo, especially on a motorbike...
well, in the US, people think it is their god given right to do stupid stuff (like electing the present gov./pres.).
kinda hand in hand B)

#6 David_Heavey

David_Heavey

=IBF2= Cofounder

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:41 AM

We had the same ban put into place here last year. Didn't do much good. Why would people ever be stupid enough to drive while talking on a phone anyway? These same people would be the first to turn around and say "He/she shouldn't have been talking on the phone" if one of their friends or relatives were hit. It's beyond me how silly people can be sometimes. My best friend works security in a multi-storey car park and he told me a woman was driving the wrong side of the car park one day so he stopped her because she clipped the bumper off of a parked car. All she said was "Do you mind? I'm on the phone" ... no lie.

Edited by David_Heavey, 18 September 2006 - 12:42 AM.

#7 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:13 PM

I personally know 3 people who were talking on the phone, and caused accidents. The poslice asked if they we're using a cell phone at the time of the accident, and they said no.

#8 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:17 PM

I talk on the phone, say what I need to say and that is about it. And even then I don't if the traffic is busy.

#9 jhp_2003

jhp_2003

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 01:49 PM

I use the cell occasionally while driving...not usually though. And if the traffic is busy, then no way.

And, I have to say that putting the law effective date that far out isn't going to help much. Also, a $20 or $50 fine isn't much of a deterrent if you ask me. Some people spend more than that on coffee and lunch per day.(not me)
I think if he were serious, he would have given that law some teeth, and put it into effect a lot sooner

#10 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:37 AM

I have not the same experiance with the heavy traffic that some of you have, I do however have experiance with talking an driving I really dont think that is the problem, I think its the idiots that can not concentrate on more then one thing at a time. or to put it more politically correct the mentally challenged. lol

#11 BlueScreenOfDeath

BlueScreenOfDeath

~* Hardware & Beta Guru *~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:03 AM

regardless , your attention is elsewhere so i dont think its will help anything

#12 clarky3429

clarky3429

No I will not fix your computer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:00 AM

in our country, driving and talking on a mobile phone is illlegal, unless you use a handsfree device.... and soon 1st year probation drivers will be banned from using a mobile phone whist driving, regardless of handsfree. I think it is a good idea, as no matter how experienced you are, attention is still taken away from driving when you are using a mobile phone, and, accidents do happen

#13 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:45 PM

While I do agree with you I also think it does depend on traffic conditions. As I stated I dont have the experiance with heavy traffic that some of you do, therefore there is not any consentration taken away that is needed for the road conditions.

#14 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:50 PM

Here its ilegal to drive using mobile phones, unless you have a hands-free device... But i share the opinion that any kind of mobile phone use reduces the driver attention drastically, increasing exponencially the risk of an accident.

" If its rush time than just let it ring and dont worry, people can wait to talk to you alive ! "

#15 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:28 PM

Good point there vrosa!! I like to be alive!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users