5 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:09 AM

Apparently the insane amount of gigaflops that your modern-day graphics card can churn out is nothing short of a phenomenon, as Folding@home's forefather Vijay Pande has tailored a new piece of software to harness to raw processing power of GPUs.

Pande claimed that even the latest dual-core CPUs can't hold a candle to the floating point performance of ATi's X1900 / X1950 graphics cards. He estimated a Core 2 Duo chip could push about 25 gigaflops of folding power, while a high-end off-the-shelf ATi card could unleash a whopping 375 GFLOPS, which is about "20 to 40 times more speed" than the project has seen thus far.

The team has also optimized the algorithms in the GPU-centric software, which is expected to add "10 to 15 times" more speed on top of the GPU's already impressive performance figures. Currently, the beta version is limited to the X1900 lineup, but plans are to include the X1800 variety in the near future, and Pande even mentioned that a PlayStation 3-friendly version was in the works.

Source

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:26 AM

good to be red :storm:

#3 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 30 September 2006 - 03:56 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Sep 29 2006, 07:26 PM, said:

good to be red :storm:

LOL, they didn't mention green because they didn't want to make the ATI people feel bad. :P

This is great!! I can't wait to see the gpu's get unleashed for folding@home!! Really a awesome idea! Next, they will be making folding@home for cell phones! lol ;)

#4 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:39 PM

How, it'll keep calling as long as you don't call??

#5 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 30 September 2006 - 06:36 PM

View PostSphere, on Sep 30 2006, 11:39 AM, said:

How, it'll keep calling as long as you don't call??

Well, phones have data communications now, and also micro processors. So, they can go out download a work project, process it and send it back. I don't know, sounds cool to me! Who doesn't have a phone these days.

#6 David_Heavey

David_Heavey

=IBF2= Cofounder

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 04:35 PM

Lol. I like the title header DaveX :P

I read this weeks ago. Still won't buy one :storm:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users