2 replies to this topic

#1 clarky3429

clarky3429

No I will not fix your computer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 12:25 AM

AP - Powerful bombs ripped through three crowded restaurants on the Indonesian resort island of Bali, killing at least 32 people and wounding more than 100.

Witnesses reported seeing dismembered bodies at the scene, many of them foreigners.

No one claimed responsibility for the bombings in the world's most populous Muslim nation, but suspicion immediately fell on the al-Qaeda linked militant group Jemaah Islamiyah.

"We will hunt down the perpetrators and bring them to justice," he said, calling on people "to be on the alert".

The near simultaneous blasts at two packed seafood cafes on Jimbaran beach and a three-story noodle and steak house in downtown Kuta occurred days before the anniversary of the October 12, 2002 bombings that killed 202 people at two nightclubs also in Kuta, just a short walk away.

Jemaah Islamiyah was blamed for those attacks and subsequent deadly bombings in the capital in 2003 and 2004.

Western and Indonesian intelligence agencies have repeatedly warned the group was plotting more attacks despite a string of arrests. Last month, Yudhoyono said he was especially worried the extremist network was about to strike.

"I received information at the time that terrorists were planning an action in Jakarta and that explosives were ready," said the president, who was scheduled to go to Bali on Sunday to look at the devastation first hand.

Among the injured were 49 Indonesians, 17 Australians, six Koreans, three Japanese and two Americans, a hospital official said, adding that the others had yet to been identified.

US Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice condemned the bombings in a statement.

"The United States stands with the people and government of Indonesia as they work to bring to justice those responsible for these acts of terrorism. We will continue to work together in our common fight against terror," Rice said.

The latest bombs went off as thousands of diners flocked to restaurants on the bustling tourist island that was just starting to recover from the 2002 blasts, when the number of visitors plummeted.

Baradita Katoppo, an Indonesian tourist from Jakarta, said one of the bombs on Jimbaran beach went off in the Nyoman Cafe, where he was eating with friends. Five minutes later another explosion rocked a neighboring seafood restaurant.

"I could see other people sustained injuries," he said. "There was blood on their faces and their bodies. It was very chaotic and confusing, we didn't know what to do."

Witness, I Wayan Kresna, told the private El Shinta radio station he counted at least two dead and that many others were brought to a hospital.

"I helped lift up the bodies," he said, adding that many of the victims were foreigners. "There was blood everywhere."

About 30 kilometres away in Kuta, at almost exactly the same time, an explosion hit the three-story Raja noodle and steakhouse in a bustling outdoor shopping centre. Smoke poured from the badly damaged building.

The bomb apparently went off on the restaurant's second floor, and an Associated Press reporter saw at least three bodies and five wounded people there. There was no crater outside the building, indicating the blast was not caused by a car bomb.

Saturday's attacks threaten to ruin a tourist boom on the mostly Hindu island, where hotels and restaurants have in the last 18 months reported that business had exceeded pre-2002 levels and that they were looking forward to a busy Christmas and New Year.

Tourism Minister Jero Wacik predicted a sharp drop in numbers, but said he hoped the island would bounce back.

Since the 2002 Bali blasts, Jemaah Islamiyah has been tied to at least two other bombings in Indonesia, both in the capital, Jakarta. Those blasts, one at the JW Marriott hotel in 2003 and the other outside the Australian Embassy in 2004, killed at least 23.

Source: NineMSN news

there is also a poll related to this on my website - please vote on it!!

#2 RedInferno

RedInferno

Your mom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 12:35 AM

Sigh, there's never good news anymore... :P

#3 Visentinel

Visentinel

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 08:49 AM

This didn't surprise me, coz after the first bombing the terrorists said if people from Australia and USA don't stop coming it will happen again, looks like they kept their promise.

But at the end of the day its the Balinese that will suffer, without tourism as Bali's main income Bali will suffer extremely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users