- - - - -

Windows Server 2008 is 20% faster than Vista

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:08 PM

images/news/windows.jpgIt seems Microsoft may have a successor (or replacement) for Vista after all and it’s already been released. Windows Server 2008 isn’t easy to configure as a desktop operating system but when done correctly can be 20% faster than Vista while retaining most of the same features.

Windows Workstation 2008 is not a product sold by Microsoft and must be configured from a copy of Windows Server 2008. It seems this version of Windows lacks the “bloat” that is part of Vista. However, I am not sure what the author is referring to (but is likely talking about unnecessary services). Of course this version of Windows was designed with developers in mind who covet speed above all else. Workstation 2008 includes IIS and Hyper-V for creating virtual machines.

A Microsoft employee and third party website have created tutorials on how to use Windows Server 2008 as a desktop operating system. This is what I’ve been referring to as Windows Workstation 2008. Keep in mind that this will have the same driver problems as Vista does, meaning, if a Vista driver doesn’t exist for a piece of hardware you still won’t be able to use it with Server or Workstation 2008.

Blorge

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:04 PM

thanks scara. i'm downloading now. i think this is what i wanted re a new OS :friends:

#3 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:38 PM

hey scara, which nvidia gpu drivers would work with the server OS? this would be for the 8800gt...

#4 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:30 PM

The Vista drivers (Forceware latest) should work just fine MO :friends:

I've been playing around with Server 2008 a while now, and I can say its what Vista should have been. Once you have it all tweaked as a Workstation it outclasses Vista in every department, hell, you can even enable the Aero environment if you so wish...lol!

I had a problem getting my wireless to work though, and went through 4 different adapters before I got it finally working. Drivers are a bit thin ATM, so if you have hardware that's not picked up by Server 2008, then try the Vista variant :)

S.

#5 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:25 PM

thanks man :) as long as i can watch my episods of "danger man", i'm happy :friends:

#6 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:51 PM

wtf!!! they want a password!!! wtf is the f'in pass? i just deleted my xp install for this, the a$$holes!!!

#7 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:04 PM

anybody? i am so pissed right now...

#8 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:13 PM

http://thebackroomtech.wordpress.com/2008/...y-requirements/

• Passwords must be at least six characters in length.
  • Passwords must contain characters from three of the following four categories:
  • English uppercase characters (A through Z).
  • English lowercase characters (a through z).
  • Base 10 digits (0 through 9).
  • Non-alphabetic characters (for example, !, $, #, %).

typical MS crap...sure glad they mentioned this on the download page...

#9 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:14 PM

LOL!!

You need to set up a password before you enter desktop. Strong password security is on by default, so it has to be a min of 6 letters/numbers consisting of at least 1 capital and 1 number. :friends:

Edited by scaramonga, 12 March 2008 - 08:15 PM.

#10 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:19 PM

I see you managed...... :friends:

Grab the Server 2008 converting to Workstation book on my server MO. It will walk you through turning all that crap off :)

#11 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:41 PM

and what about aero?
i activated themes, but none are there, except that god awful win95 uglyness...have to install FF from a disc, as the stupidie wants to be configured first. bollocks, i say...

#12 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:01 PM

i think i made abig mistake installing the x64 variety. i have to reactivate my audio every time i restart, i have no clue if anything else will work in this. faster than vista though...

#13 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:36 PM

lol, aero theme, but no aeroglass...off it comes.

#14 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:19 PM

lol, aero theme, but no aeroglass...off it comes.

Your quick to give up MO..... :friends:

Audio (sound acceleration) is disabled by default :P You have to set it to Auto in 'Services'. Suppose that's right, as why would you need audio on a server?

Your asking for bigger problems installing the 64bit version as driver/software support is even thinner.

As for Aero, you have to install that feature via the 'Server Manager' by adding 'Desktop Experience', then set 'Themes' under 'Services to Auto, reboot, then select the Vista theme as normal, with all effects, bells & whistles etc. :)

Edited by scaramonga, 12 March 2008 - 11:23 PM.

#15 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:55 AM

lol! i did. i had already had it prepped before installing drivers, as i have used previous server iterations. no go for glass, not an option in the x64 version with nvidia 8800gt atm...you can keep your vista! :)
xp x64 FTW!!! :friends:

edit: scara, i think you should be the official vista set up person here, maybe a few tutorials?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users