• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#16 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:36 AM

Yeah, I have seen that picture. I want to see pretty pics. That won't really be what it looks like. It will have graphics on it and stuff.

#17 GSG-9

GSG-9

Kicking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:Computers,<br />Drums/Sleeping,<br />Work (I guess?).<br />(In that order)

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:05 AM

View Postchriso_86, on Oct 20 2006, 09:36 PM, said:

Yeah, I have seen that picture. I want to see pretty pics. That won't really be what it looks like. It will have graphics on it and stuff.

I know many hate the idea of an external psu, but if it comes with one I will jump for joy! If I can put one of these in my matx beast I will be soooooo happy. (I have a 450w psu, the biggest they make.)

#18 godless

godless

GTA 4 is a ps2 relic with better graphics...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:49 AM

I wouldnt mind if it came with one personally, however if it doesnt I might not be so happy if it consumes 300 watts... (as I'll have to wait until a smaller wattage card, or buy a bigger psu). I'm also starting to wonder what my electricity bill is, especially if I move, and my pc consumption for power is doubled.. :)

Edited by godless, 21 October 2006 - 03:52 AM.

#19 GSG-9

GSG-9

Kicking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:Computers,<br />Drums/Sleeping,<br />Work (I guess?).<br />(In that order)

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:54 AM

View Postgodless, on Oct 20 2006, 10:49 PM, said:

I wouldnt mind if it came with one personally, however if it doesnt I might not be so happy if it consumes 300 watts... (as I'll have to wait until a smaller wattage card, or buy a bigger psu). I'm also starting to wonder what my electricity bill is, especially if I move, and my pc consumption for power is doubled.. :)

If it does not come with a external psu I cant run one. :talker:

#20 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:59 AM

Well, my current rig has a 500 W (or 550, not sure) PSU, so will keep it dx9... and for my new rig i'm thinking of a 900+ W PSU just to to guarantee i'll be able to make future upgrades. Never thought that i'd need more than 600W for a desktop rig... Where are we going ? :)

I've seen many sites speculating arround power consuption, but nobody is sure. We need more official information from nVidia.

DailyTech reports that NVIDIA's upcoming G80 GPU will recommend a 450W power supply, and an 800W PSU for running SLI.

NVIDIA's recommendation for the power supply would be of 450 watts for a configuration based on 8800 GTX and 400 watts for a configuration based on 8800 GTS. Just to give you an idea, the power supply recommended at the release of the 7800 GTX was 350W!!

I hope thay make something like a 8600 GT card with less wattage (and less expensive :talker: ) !

#21 godless

godless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:46 PM

View PostGSG-9, on Oct 20 2006, 11:54 PM, said:

If it does not come with a external psu I cant run one. :talker:

Ya, I realized that, why did you go with a small case? :)

#22 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 21 October 2006 - 04:05 PM

Give it till spring or summer time and you will see lower wattage cards coming out. I wouldn't worry about it to much. Time is the cure for everything.

#23 GSG-9

GSG-9

Kicking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 04:18 PM

Godless you should see people faces when I bring it to a lan, at first the make fun of me for having such a small case, and then I tell them whats inside it (148 @ 2.8Ghz, 7800GT @ 500/1.15Ghz, 2 Gigs of XMS) and they are shocked at the Oc I get with good temps. (32idle-43-5load) :)

I am hoping by some chance it will come with an external psu or only need 450w. Is it not really late for them not to tell us what it comes with? I would think they would have sent cards out for review at least a week before its release...but I guess not.

At any rate I will be getting a 7900GTO from eVGA so I can trade up for a 8800 in the near future if all goes well.

#24 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:25 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Oct 20 2006, 05:12 PM, said:

i'm with godless on this, would be nice to see power consumption before you just order the gpu, and skip the beefy psu to accompany it, unless you already have a big kahuna amp monster.

You should be safe MO. Aren't you still running one of those 1K PC Power and Cooling big kahuna amp monsters? :)

#25 godless

godless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:31 PM

Thats cool I was thinking of getting an 8800 (though I prolly wont, those card will sell like optys is my bet, plus the huge psu requirement..), then trading it up three months later for whatever nvidia comes out with. :) Those are some nice temps, better then what I get (minus full load temps, but im not overclocking)..

Edited by godless, 21 October 2006 - 10:50 PM.

#26 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 11:49 PM

LOL, who would overclock something like that until it at least came down several hundred dollars in price?

#27 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 11:57 PM

View PostWFO, on Oct 21 2006, 11:25 AM, said:

You should be safe MO. Aren't you still running one of those 1K PC Power and Cooling big kahuna amp monsters? :)
:talker:

#28 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:09 AM

Aren't you still running one of those 1K PC Power and Cooling big kahuna amp monsters?

National Power Grid for short...... :)

#29 GSG-9

GSG-9

Kicking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 04:49 PM

View Postgodless, on Oct 21 2006, 04:31 PM, said:

Thats cool I was thinking of getting an 8800 (though I prolly wont, those card will sell like optys is my bet, plus the huge psu requirement..), then trading it up three months later for whatever nvidia comes out with. :) Those are some nice temps, better then what I get (minus full load temps, but im not overclocking)..

I like your thinking on the upgrade, those are the temps at my house,(Low use of heat lol) at the lan party I was at last night it was more like 35-7idle 44-47load.

#30 godless

godless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 05:54 PM

View PostGSG-9, on Oct 22 2006, 12:49 PM, said:

I like your thinking on the upgrade, those are the temps at my house,(Low use of heat lol) at the lan party I was at last night it was more like 35-7idle 44-47load.

Ya, the evga step-up program is a great idea. :) Buy a power hungry monster one month, then buy a less power hungry, more powerful one a couple months later, I'm really wondering how they manage to do that..

I actually have to check my cpu, because the temps went from 42C to 45C one night...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users