• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 GSG-9

GSG-9

Kicking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:Computers,<br />Drums/Sleeping,<br />Work (I guess?).<br />(In that order)

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:32 AM

This thread is going to be the closest to breaking forum rules I have, and ever will make.
Please note I will/have purchased a copy of Vista U.

What are we going to do about Vista? 2 Upgrades is not enough, And I actually have doubts about people ability to crack the security of the activation system.

The features in Vista U. are a joke.

The (lack of) features on Starter are a joke.

Enterprise is worthless.

Standard/Home lacks the features people will be upgrading for.

And Microsoft knows gamers will have to get it to run direct x. You know what this will do, it will either bring Microsoft two its knees (5+ years of development and no one buys it) or it will create a whole new breed of Crackers that are going to destroy Vista's security...and not just the activation of it, they will have there software leave backdoors so they can get back into peoples computers.

By the way, there is no "we've survived worse", this is like the prohibition of the Computer age. There is no way MS will get away with this without a major loss of businesses.
Its legal but its not fair.

I am not proud of what I am about to say, but it must be said. I hope Apple kicks Microsoft's ass tell they realize that they are killing themselves from the inside out, and if need be suck them dry.

Oh, and this rant is not over, once my 2 times in Vista are up there will be hell to pay.

Edited by GSG-9, 26 October 2006 - 05:35 AM.

#2 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:04 AM

or it will create a whole new breed of Crackers that are going to destroy Vista's security...and not just the activation of it, they will have there software leave backdoors so they can get back into peoples computers.

And this will happen regardless........

To be quite honest......we've had it all before with XP when it was first released......I remember the discontent at that time with the activation process.......although it was significantly more that '2 shots'.

The features in Vista U. are a joke.

Well......the features overall for the cost Microsoft are asking are frankly more than a joke!

And Microsoft knows gamers will have to get it to run direct x

That is where Microsoft have got you!.........upgrade or lose out!....I don't like this one! :P

it will either bring Microsoft two its knees (5+ years of development and no one buys it)

Never gonna happen........people will buy regardless and Microsoft know it!........the 'back orders' for Vista alone will probably see them running a small profit from the off.

All in all....its a sad state of affairs this.....with Vista quite possibly going to be the most hacked/cracked OS we have seen.

#3 GSG-9

GSG-9

Kicking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:Computers,<br />Drums/Sleeping,<br />Work (I guess?).<br />(In that order)

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:27 PM

That was different, if you went over in xp you had to call. If you go over in Vista, you have to pay.

#4 godless

godless

GTA 4 is a ps2 relic with better graphics...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:05 PM

Regardless people will to still buy it, my main problem is the cost..

#5 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:20 PM

I totally agree GSG!! However, I hope Apple doesn't kick their butt, I hope Linux kicks their butt. People say linux isn't really going anywhere, but my dad works for IBM and he said he installs more servers and mainframes these days that run Unix and Linux that MS many many many times over.

It comes down to the fact that everyone knows MS, and people don't like change. So they won't, simle enough.

#6 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:16 PM

I think the reason most wont change to Unix ...is that its still regarded as a 'command line' OS in the eyes of many. This is certainly not the case.....but a lot of people still see it that way and are reluctant to jump into something they think is alien to them.

Unix has come a long way in the past 2 years but doesn't have the 'hype machine' surrounding it like Microsoft has.....otherwise it would be the OS of choice.

:P

#7 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Interests:An abundance :P

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:20 PM

I agree full heartedly and if I could get my popular games to work on Linux... I'd use a free OS but because of the ease of use in Windows... I continue to use it... I'm not proud of it, and I have to agree, I hope these "super crackers" can fix these issues, then maybe we'll stand a chance when we BUY the software. Yeah it's no surprise, I plan on buying vista too... but overall, I'm not going to be a happy customer :P.

I'm behind Gsg-9 all the way... I understand and feel the same way he does!

ShadowFox

#8 godless

godless

GTA 4 is a ps2 relic with better graphics...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:39 PM

I cant use Linux cus I dont know how to install it, if it was more user friendly it would be on my computer..

Edited by godless, 26 October 2006 - 11:40 PM.

#9 GSG-9

GSG-9

Kicking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 03:49 AM

I use knoppix to get files from computers sometimes, but that s the extent of my lunix abilitys...

Will games run on a knoppix at all? Its a live cd os. I feel like trying to round up 64-bit drivers for it and trying to run games...

#10 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 04:05 AM

hey G... http://frankscorner.org/
http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wiwimo...NDEX+Wine+Games
Attached Image: img42a2fd02e3258.png

#11 GSG-9

GSG-9

Kicking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 04:15 AM

Thanks for the info Mo! :P
Would this give me a large performance hit?

#12 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 04:40 AM

View PostGSG-9, on Oct 26 2006, 09:15 PM, said:

Thanks for the info Mo! :yahoo:
Would this give me a large performance hit?
:P i dunno...never tried it... :cool2:

#13 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:43 AM

Mo, i couldnt load the page ! May u post some info about it here ?

http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wiwimo...NDEX+Wine+Games

Attached Image: linuxgamers.jpg

~update~

Ok, forget it, its working now !...LOL... :P >> (me)

Download the latest Wine from

http://www.winehq.org/site/download
(http://www.winehq.or...te/download-deb for Ubuntu/Debian)

:cool2: Cool, i can play it on Kubuntu ! Thanks for the info !

I cant use Linux cus I dont know how to install it, if it was more user friendly it would be on my computer..

I'm not a Linux guru, I've tryed a few versions, but i think Linux is user friendly...

#14 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:34 PM

Wine works okay with a lot of games. The performance drop ain't big, maybe 10 fps, at worst (who cares at a framerate of 200 huh? )
But best is Cedega, though not free....

And those afraid of the installation of Linux being hard should... erm... start thinking imo. The most (Gentoo is another story for a newbie to Linux), are very easy to install!

#15 GSG-9

GSG-9

Kicking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:25 AM

View PostSphere, on Oct 27 2006, 08:34 AM, said:

Wine works okay with a lot of games. The performance drop ain't big, maybe 10 fps, at worst (who cares at a framerate of 200 huh? )
But best is Cedega, though not free....

And those afraid of the installation of Linux being hard should... erm... start thinking imo. The most (Gentoo is another story for a newbie to Linux), are very easy to install!

I don't get the 200fps, :gsg9:
I get around 40-60 in newer games, but If I get a 8800 I may just ditch Vista after my 2 times...or do something else involving vandalism to the nearest Microsoft building... :cool2:
________________________________________________________________________________

:yahoo:

Edited by GSG-9, 28 October 2006 - 03:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users