#1 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Interests:An abundance :P

Posted 14 November 2005 - 04:13 AM

Okay, I decided to go ahead and charge that Linksys Wireless-G to my credit card while it was still on sale. So I now have it. BUT I don't want to mess with mom's Wireless-B settings or anything and I honestly don't give a damn how messy/stupid it is... this is how I am going to do it! just help me to do it please... no criticism... and NO SUGGESTIONS just tell me how it's done.

First of all I want the internet to run directly into the Wireless-G.. no problem, configured it. Then I run from one of the ports to the Wireless-B... I go from one port to another as that's what I read on the help forums... I worked for like 5 minutes, then the internet stops responding on all the computers on the Wireless-B (BTW none of the computers acutally have wireless except my brothers laptop and that's not important). If I unplug it(the wireless-B) and plug it back in... I get the internet for 5, off for 5. Sometimes when I do this my computer(hooked up to the wireless-g) sometimes asks for the password to the configuration on the wireless-b.

My question is... how do I correct the problem of it shutting off every 5 minutes or so and how do I make it stop asking for that password on my computer?

P.S. The ones hooked up to the wireless-b are not acked for the password of my wireless-g, and YES it is Wireless-G with the Speed Boost

#2 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 11:19 AM

No idea but i will reply here just to bring it to the top of the topic list :P

#3 BlueScreenOfDeath

BlueScreenOfDeath

~* Hardware & Beta Guru *~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 01:40 PM

from what i know its alot of a hassle to do this what id simply do is save the wireless b configuration, hook the g one up and load the configuration up from the b one, and tweak what settings are new to the wireless g like WPA and stuff. Running two routers makes it alot more difficult because you'll likely have to turn one into a gateway in one setting, what the problem is i see is they arent syncing up the same IP's , one is grabbing the internet ip the other is grabbing the 192.168.1.1 i'd and its causing a bunch of conflict, take one off and use one only.

#4 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:23 PM

but if I do that, that computers on the Wireless-B are more prone to attcks and stuff... I'm dissabling the firewalls to help my server to have access and other people have access to it.

#5 RedInferno

RedInferno

Your mom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 05:11 PM

YOu might want to put the server directly on the modem in that case.... :P

#6 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 05:27 PM

I only have one modem though... and Then I'd have to manually enter the username and password everytime the ip address changed... had to do it before and my isp asks for the password everytime the ip changes. No not the computer ip, the isp ip

#7 RedInferno

RedInferno

Your mom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 09:52 PM

You could put a switch on the modem so you have more than one port. But then you might start being in patman's situation :P

#8 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 02:28 PM

I just said screw it... replaced mom's Wireless-B with my Wireless-G, I have an open port, as my brother uses his laptop and a wireless connection, so I'll try to use it for my server. I know how to do port forwarding... will someone tell me how to set up Server 2003 so it will be a web server?

#9 gamer_pro_2000

gamer_pro_2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 08:11 PM

Are you sure that the B router was actually OK and not screwing with the G router the whole time? It might also have been having collision problems.

#10 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 04:23 AM

I don't know I was trying to see if I needed to set it up a special way or what but no one ACTUALLY tells me what I want to learn, only what they think I SHOULD do

#11 tntoak

tntoak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 07:28 AM

You have to reconfigure the older router to act as an access point instead of a router. When configured as an AP, the B router would effectively uplink to the G (which is the one you want connected to the internet). In that scenario, the G router handles all of the connection issues, and the B router effectively acts as a dumb terminal that gives you more ports to connect to.

#12 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:07 PM

THANKS!!! That's exactly what I was asking for :) now here comes my dumb question, do you know how to configure a wireless-b as such?

#13 RedInferno

RedInferno

Your mom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 05:20 PM

Don't enable rules or anything...diable the router functions and just set it up to port forward...I'm not sure if a home router gives you this option...on mine it doesn't...

SOrry i can't be more explicit...I haven't used this kind of router before.

#14 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 06:02 PM

umm I'll try to get you some screenines of what all there is in the options or if you get a chance you can connect to me remotely and I'll walk ya through it, cause I have no clue how ot do this :)

#15 RedInferno

RedInferno

Your mom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 07:09 PM

I don't think that second option is possible :)

I'm on 56k...the ag you wouldn't believe...and then I'm grounded also :fez:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users