The WOW ends now!

:P

#3 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:33 AM

:) Whether you call it 3.1, 95, 98, ME, or 7...A rose by any other name is still a rose. Of course in this case it may be more appropriate to say...A cow patty by anyother name is still a cowpatty :P

Edited by talker, 13 May 2008 - 12:56 AM.

#4 highlander

highlander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:05 AM

Honestly.... it looks good... and I don't think its a cow though...

#5 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:22 AM

The Nix world will never catch up to Microsoft and Apple until they start implementing futuristic features like those.

oh, wait.... :P

#6 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:43 AM

I dont think MS is going to make the same mistake two times in a row. This is built strongly on the 2008 code, with modules. I also didnt see any UAC prompts.

Whether you call it 3.1, 95, 98, ME, or 7...A rose by any other name is still a rose. Of course in this case it may be more appropriate to say...A cow patty by anyother name is still a cowpatty

I try and not judge one family member by another family members actions

#7 talker

talker

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:24 AM

View PostNvyseal, on May 12 2008, 09:43 PM, said:

I dont think MS is going to make the same mistake two times in a row. This is built strongly on the 2008 code, with modules. I also didnt see any UAC prompts.
I try and not judge one family member by another family members actions

And I totally agree, however, in the Microsoft family, there may have been just a little too much inbreeding... :P :)

#8 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:43 AM

:P What?! What about my wonderful Vista?

#9 highlander

highlander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:22 AM

Well... ifwe mix vista with xp we will get windows 7. So...

#10 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:41 AM

View Posthighlander, on May 13 2008, 07:22 PM, said:

Well... ifwe mix vista with xp we will get windows 7. So...
xp is old and mouldy. dave said that the recent W7 stuff it is based on 2008 code: can't beat that. i just don't get the xp love thing...

#11 talker

talker

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:45 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on May 13 2008, 09:41 PM, said:

xp is old and mouldy. dave said that the recent W7 stuff it is based on 2008 code: can't beat that. i just don't get the xp love thing...

Hi Mo,
Perhaps it is akin to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" concept. Redmond, with Vista, seems to have fixed something that really wasn't broken. XP has now been around for many moons. It has settled in, drivers and hardware now, for the most part, just slip in without a hassle. We are extremely accustomed to where everythig is and how it works. If Vista had not been released and all that we had was XP, we would no doubt be moaning wanting something new. But since Vista was released in a somewhat disasterous scenario (it was how late?) and the fact that performance was lacking, compatability was and often still is terrible, along with numerous things including the price, the comparision made and makes XP seem much greater than it is. The "XP love thing" is more a defense mechanism and justifier to not buy and use Vista.

My main system is still XP x64 SP2. Not because I don't have Vista, I do in both 32 bit and 64 bit and I seemed to have tamed them both. But because x64 continues to work without a hesitation I stay with the OS. I believe this is due to the underlying kernal of Server 2003. Perhaps with W7 Redmond is going use the same or similar idea. If so, W7 may have the underlying stability that Vista just does not have not to mention the useless ideas such as UAC. If that turns out to be fact, then I may well update my main system.

It boils down, I believe, that XP is really not as good as we think it is but seems so because Vista is a lot worse than it should have been. :P

#12 James

James

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:42 PM

fake, fake, fake....... can't be more blatantly fake than this! OMG can't believe you fell for it!

Regards XP: don't know why all the love to XP :S It used to scale horribly on high DPI monitors, security was simply non-existant before SP2, so yes it was broken, and there was a lot to fix in it. Vista never gave me such problems. When people talk about Vista vs XP, they never mention .NET, WPF, WCF and what not... obviously the company has not been sleeping between the release of XP and Vista. .NET was a huge resource drain for Microsoft. I remember it saying that it's betting its future on this platform. I fell in love with .NET since the early days and never looked backwards from that day. The guys with the greatest bashing to Microsoft in general are the ones that are still programming ANSI C with some DOS like interface.

I show respect to XP, but there was A LOT to be fixed. Just remember that in SP2, a big percentage of the code was re-written. That says a lot. This will probably not happen with Windows Vista, .NET framework is developing smoothly with the release of 3.5 SP1. This will give more time and energy for Microsoft to concentrate on Windows 7. The future looks great indeed (at least in the computing world)

#13 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:01 PM

View PostJames, on May 14 2008, 11:42 AM, said:

fake, fake, fake....... can't be more blatantly fake than this! OMG can't believe you fell for it!
um, what's fake here? uh, dave...are you trickin' us or sumptin? :P

:)

#14 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:08 PM

why would someone go through all that trouble.

heres a guy keeping an eye on 7: http://windows7news.com/2008/05/12/windows...video/#comments

#15 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:27 PM

.NET framework is developing smoothly with the release of 3.5 SP1. This will give more time and energy for Microsoft to concentrate on Windows 7. The future looks great indeed (at least in the computing world)

.NET is one of the reasons I now dislike MS! I never run it on XP and I certainly refrain from installing it when prompted. (any version)

Vista does not give me that choice, so here in lies the problem. Bloat on bloat!

The future, therefore, does not look great, far from it, it looks bleak, very, in an MS kind of way.

Lets all look forward to WinME 3, after all, we have had versions 1 & 2.

:P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users