31 replies to this topic

#16 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:35 AM

I dunno this review is biased and unbiased in certian senses. I can't really fault it for that because the only way to get an unbiased review.

Is to
a) Get someone who has neither used Windows or Linux before and ask them for a review

#17 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:13 PM

View PostLinoman, on Apr 28 2007, 04:35 AM, said:

I dunno this review is biased and unbiased in certian senses. I can't really fault it for that because the only way to get an unbiased review.

Is to
a) Get someone who has neither used Windows or Linux before and ask them for a review

LOL, yeah well first you have to go to Africa and grab some kid and then bring him here and teach him how to speak and write english. Then teach him how to use both systems and have him write a review. Good luck with that!! I'll look forward to that review in about......... 20 years.

#18 viper666

viper666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 02:18 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Apr 27 2007, 10:44 PM, said:

:rofl:
i am responding from yet another reformat...minty froze in mid install. ubuntu fiesty errored before the finalization of partition resizing...suse failed to resize the windows partition also. and after all this, i, again, lost my vista partition... :chriso: well, time for a beer... :chriso:
Well either U got some bad hardware,or a bad burn on your cd or dvd, SUSE Will give U the option before it installs,when it looks at the partion,to kill everything or resize or whatever U tell it,seems to me maybe something is wrong with that drive, both distro's had a hard time at partioning,or maybe U need to burn them at a slower speed,I have 4 dual cores and one quad, all running linux,Ive had Ubuntu 6.06,6.10 ,Suse 10.2,10.3 beta ,CentOS 5,tons of different ones load seeing what will fold best,Some are serial ata,some IDE,they are all AMD systems,Instead of blaming linux why dont U figure out what your doing wrong !!!!Or ask for help!!! SUSE has Been developed for the AMD Opteron !!! A few more posts like this and Im gonna start thinking U work for microsoft, Do U?

#19 viper666

viper666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 02:34 PM

Ubuntu still relies too much on the command line

Thats not really true,most of the Distro's now have basically everything U need for internet and word processing,(Open office can do anything microsoft office can and its free).and if U install using there package manager,it installs just like windows,now if your installing something special or want to add some special app,then U may need to compile code.

most HP Laser or HP printers are built in now,ubuntu loads HP stuff,on its own,

If U have main stream hardware its supported.

Ubuntu still relies too much on the command line

Thats not really true,most of the Distro's now have basically everything U need for internet and word processing,(Open office can do anything microsoft office can and its free).and if U install using there package manager,it installs just like windows,now if your installing something special or want to add some special app,then U may need to compile code.

most HP Laser or HP printers are built in now,ubuntu loads HP stuff,on its own,

If U have main stream hardware its supported.

Is Linux finally ready to take on Windows as a desktop OS? For business answer is YES

If your a game player answer is NO

#20 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 03:59 PM

View Postviper666, on Apr 29 2007, 07:18 AM, said:

...Instead of blaming linux why dont U figure out what your doing wrong !!!!Or ask for help!!! SUSE has Been developed for the AMD Opteron !!! A few more posts like this and Im gonna start thinking U work for microsoft, Do U?
"doing wrong..." i'm installing on an enterprise grade pci-e scsi dual channel ultra 320 host controller/6 drive raid0, with numa enabled/eight gigs of ram. yes, an optical drive could have issues, but why only with the latest distros? maybe an issue with the vista ntfs partition? i had mentioned these possibilities earlier. "developed for opterons"? i'm a consumer, not a fan boy, like yourself. if you wish to remain here, you need to change your attitude. :chriso:

#21 Vipers_Girl666

Vipers_Girl666

(_(_) (_)_) (_(_) (_)_)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:04 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Apr 29 2007, 11:59 AM, said:

"doing wrong..." i'm installing on an enterprise grade pci-e scsi dual channel ultra 320 host controller/6 drive raid0, with numa enabled/eight gigs of ram. yes, an optical drive could have issues, but why only with the latest distros? maybe an issue with the vista ntfs partition? i had mentioned these possibilities earlier. "developed for opterons"? i'm a consumer, not a fan boy, like yourself. if you wish to remain here, you need to change your attitude. :chriso:

well I've already taken my "fecal matter elsewhere"....

#22 viper666

viper666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:30 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Apr 29 2007, 10:59 AM, said:

I dont care if your an ADMIN HERE AND I DONT CARE IF I STAY!!!! Everytime U talk about Linux U make an ass of yourself to anyone that knows anything about Linux but U keep talking,and U just did it again.SUSE IS Developed buy NOVELL they build high end servers,world class stuff, SUSE Linux Enterprise by Novel, Linux runs half the internet,in fact Ill bet this board is on Apache on Linux. Like most webservers.Its PHP which is open source just like Linux.Everytime u talk about it U dig deeper,so get your facts strait.

http://www.novell.com/news/press/suse-linu...4-workstations/

http://www.novell.com/linux/

http://www.novell.com/

#23 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:31 PM

View PostVipers_Girl666, on Apr 29 2007, 09:04 AM, said:

well I've already taken my "fecal matter elsewhere"....
well, those brownie points doo add up :chriso:

#24 Vipers_Girl666

Vipers_Girl666

(_(_) (_)_) (_(_) (_)_)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:36 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Apr 29 2007, 12:31 PM, said:

well, those brownie points doo add up :chriso:
does being super cool add up too?

you are awesome! and I was never in the brownies... last time I checked they didnt let little boys in either.
hmmmmmmmmmm

all the best getting linux to run.
NO seriously... Im being completly sincere.

Edited by m.oreilly, 30 April 2007 - 03:27 AM.

#25 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:30 AM

...Linux is a foreign language to us Windows users. :rofl: Trust me I know! :) No need for drama here. :rofl: Chill bro! :chriso: aren't necessary. :rofl:

My comment to this thread would be Vista Ultimate is lacking. Ubuntu 64 and XP x64 both installed on my latest build yet Vista 64 Ultimate wouldn't. This is despite DFI having Vista 64 drivers on their website. YMMV depending on hardware. :lol:

DFI Infinity Dark 965
4GB DDR 800 G.Skill Ram
Q6600 Stock Speeds/ Voltage
NEC DVD/RW
2 xSeagate ES Sata 2 7200rpm HDs Raid 0
HIS Crossfire Edition x1950
PC Power and cooling Silencer 750
etc. etc.

Hardware compatibility problems are frustrating for all no matter what OS you run. :chriso: For me Vista would get to: "Finalizing installation" and freeze. :rofl:

Edited by WFO, 30 April 2007 - 01:31 AM.

#26 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:46 AM

LOL!...........well I see I have missed quite a bit with being away this weekend :chriso:

But I'm sure you all know my feelings on this subject :chriso: without going into too much detail LOL!! :rofl:

:rofl:

Edited by scaramonga, 30 April 2007 - 01:50 AM.

#27 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:44 AM

Thanks for starting another topic WFO. The first one should not have been locked.

I guess bias is the bane of intelligent discussion. I don't understand why operating system discussion always devolves into some sort of political/religious shouting match.

Anyway, if I find another comparison between operating systems that I deem unbiased or at least thought-provoking, I will post it. You've been warned. :chriso:

Edited by brewin, 30 April 2007 - 02:48 AM.

#28 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:21 AM

Such discussions tend to be passional, what sometimes is good to shake up the board. But the point is that we always defend better what we know better...

:chriso:

Anyway, if I find another comparison between operating systems that I deem unbiased or at least thought-provoking, I will post it. You've been warned.

:chriso:

#29 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:25 AM

the other topic was closed do to abusive language and personal attacks. i will not permit myself or others to be addressed in such a manner. that said, and as things have settled down, i will reopen the original. sorry brew, for not contacting you regarding your topic first :chriso:
brb...

#30 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:42 AM

well, let's see if i can merge the two... :chriso:

:lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users