#16 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:47 AM

View PostRoadrunner, on Aug 1 2007, 10:47 PM, said:

Treasure of the Sierra Madre (We don't need no Stinkin' Badges )
Rear Window
and probably a few I forgot

Rear Window would've definitely been the 6th on my list. It gets better every time I watch it. And Treasure of the Sierra Madre would've been 7. :) We should have a DVD/VHS swap day Roady, our tastes seem pretty damn close.

Bogart in "Treasure of..." is as close to perfection, imho, as any actor, in any picture, ever. What could conscience do to ya? ummmm....... :victory:

on edit----Can't say that I'm a fan of Westerns, or of Wayne and Ford in general, but "The Searchers"-->pure gold. Number 8. :victory:

Edited by banj0, 03 August 2007 - 07:01 AM.

#17 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 01:38 AM

View Postbanj0, on Aug 2 2007, 11:47 PM, said:

Rear Window would've definitely been the 6th on my list. It gets better every time I watch it. And Treasure of the Sierra Madre would've been 7. :) We should have a DVD/VHS swap day Roady, our tastes seem pretty damn close.

Bogart in "Treasure of..." is as close to perfection, imho, as any actor, in any picture, ever. What could conscience do to ya? ummmm....... :victory:

on edit----Can't say that I'm a fan of Westerns, or of Wayne and Ford in general, but "The Searchers"-->pure gold. Number 8. :victory:

Yeh, Hitchcock movies are all good, North by Northwest is another favorite.
I do enjoy Westerns, and John Wayne, but most of his movies were cheaply made until the end of his career. If you like a real classic in a western the watch "High Noon"- about as perfect a western there ever was but you have to get by it being in Black and White.
My favorite John Wayne movie is "The Cowboys"- pretty good flick.

One movie I forgot to mention was "Patton" - George C. Scott was great in that movie and it was one of the first to show a perspective of WWII that was never seen before.

You might of noticed that I left out allot of the movies from recent years- mainly because although they are visual miracles with their special effects I don't really give them high marks for acting. That doesn't mean that I don't like them- I love to watch the Matrix and all the Star Wars movies and "Raiders of the Lost Ark" almost made my top 10. But special effects should not overwhelm a movie and detract from what the movie is trying to accomplish in the way of plot and character development.

#18 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:31 AM

WOW, that is a lot of great celluloid in some of those titles. It is realy hard to name just 5 but here goes...

1. The Jazz Singer 1980 (Neil Diamond fan I am)

2. Casablanca 1942

3. Shenandoah 1965

4. 2001: A Space Odyssey 1968

5. Gone With The Wind 1939

#19 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:57 AM

gonna bump and remove the "top 5" tag. Just good flics seen recently from likeminded folk. Any recs?

Oldie but goodie----Watched Run Lola Run again this week. Sweet movie.

Went to see Into the Wild today. The book is one of my personal favorites and I was worried that it would get screwed up by the "Hollywood" treatment. But Penn did a great job and the movie was well done imho.

Any other recommends?

#20 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:53 PM

Mindwalk - just a conversation between a physicist, a poet, and a politician
City of Lost Children - subtitles are kewl
Kafka - a bit out there
Brazil - 1984 with Robert Deniro as a renegade plumber
Miller's Crossing - as good as any gangster movie ever
Most of the rest of the Coen brother flicks...especially Raising Arizona
Wizards - whacked out animated joint
The Wall - of course

I'll add more later.

Edited by eniparadoxgma, 07 October 2007 - 09:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users