#1 nabz0r

nabz0r

Untraceable

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Network Security & CS 1.6

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:58 AM

Hello, I am gonna build up my new gaming PC and I need some suggestion with what I chose for my new PC. It's not the finals things, there might be some changes. So, what do you guys think? Thanks for you suggestions in advanced. :-)

Case
Antec Three Hundred "The Versatile Case" without PSU
Graphic Cards
ASUS GEFORCE 9600GT 1GB DDR3 PCI-E DVI
Asus GeForce 9800GT 1GB DDR3 TV-out HDTV DUAL DVI RETAIL PCI Express
Sparkle Geforce 9800GT 1GB GDDR3, 2xDVI, HDTV, SLIx3, 16X PCIe, with Cuda
Gigabyte GeForce 9800GTX+ 1GB DDR3 TV-out HDTV DUAL DVI RETAIL PCI Express
9600GT
9800 DDR3
9800GT GDDR3
9800GTX
MB
Asus M3A78-VM AMD 780G 4DDR2-DIMM 2PCI 2PCIe SATA Raid VGA GB-LAN Socket AM2+ mATX
Processor
AMD Phenom X4 Quad-Core 9950 BLACK EDITION 2.6GHz 4MB (L2+L3) 125W Boxed (with cpu-cooler!) Socket AM2+
AMD Phenom X4
Sound Blaster
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Retail
PSU
CORSAIR TX 650W NÄTDEL ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V

P.S. Hope this is the right place for my thread 'cause didn't know where to post. ;-)

Edited by nabz0r, 07 March 2009 - 12:00 PM.

#2 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:54 PM

Get the ATi HD series vga-card!
They rock nVidia 4 times around the world!

A short overview on Toms Hardware:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-...-Score,794.html

And, in compare, the ATi is cheaper and better. A slightly lesser ATi card is way cheaper, smaller and quieter...

I'd really advice ATi... completely against my 'religion' actually

#3 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:00 PM

Scrap the AMD crap, motherboard and the dreadfully slow Phenom, grab an Intel board and a good Core Quad (they are cheap as hell ATM), you wont regret it :giggle:

BTW.......the Phenom has difficulty in even keeping up with a Q6600!

Don't waste your cash boy :roadrunner:

#4 Sphere

Sphere

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:01 PM

That too scara...

Indeed, my nVidia/AMD religion is really weak...

I'm running a Phenom-Quad, but I'm absolutely not satisfied.
Yes, I'm happy with how it all runs, but I have the feeling the CPU and even the PCI-e is being smuthered by the boards power, when benchmaring, it just "isn't just there". But if you really want to go Phenom, go AM3 socket, gives you more options of upgrading (is there a Phenom AM3 btw?)

And just another:
Please don't go for ASUS!!
I've been there, not happy, they're "crash-free BIOS" is as stable as a pencil balanced on it's tip. I've had to upgrade the bios 4 times before it finally settled a bit!

Gigabit is the way to go IMO

#5 nabz0r

nabz0r

Untraceable

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:57 PM

Well, I made some changes and changed MB and CPU, but I wasn't so sure about the GFX. I mean I haven't used ATI yet and I've heard it sucks.

Here is what I changed, I know there are much better but no cash at this time. >.<... That would be great if you guys got some better suggestion and I'd appreciate it. :-)

CPU
INTEL CORE 2 DUO E8400 3.0GHZ 6MB 1333MHZ S-775

MD
Asus P5Q-E iP45 4DDR2-DIMM 2PCI 5PCIe SATA Raid Audio DUAL GB-LAN Firewire Socket775 ATX
ASUS P5Q P45 S-775 ATX
P5Q-E
P5Q P45

And here is my CPU Cooler
CPu Cooler
Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme Rev 2s-776/1366/939/AM2/AM2+/AM3

Do I have to change something else now? And Sphere, can you suggest a good ATI card to me? Thanks guys!

Edited by nabz0r, 07 March 2009 - 03:05 PM.

#6 Sphere

Sphere

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:19 PM

For the M/B, I really stick to "no Asus", make sure you read reviews, check up on any BIOS problems!
Ok, it's my experience, my board might be a "Mondays suck" board, but hey, better safe then sorry

As for VGA, read this article:
http://xtreview.com/review229.htm

Price-to-quality ratio, ATi Rocks!
it might be slightly lower then the nVidia 9800GT you chose, but check the price, you do have a bit of a tight budget I understand.

Therefor, just go for something like this:
Club3D HD4670
or
Club3D HD4850 OC edition

I selected these based on a local shop, they were priced somewhere around the 150 euro's, same as the nVidia 9800GT, so, I guessed they would do the same for you.
Although I can read Swedish... I didn't really feel like taking the trouble, sorry 'bout that...
A friend of mine has an HD4850, and he says it rocks solid. No problems, he is very satisfied with the achieved results, and it's silent. I'd really advice the ATi cards.
Overall, I myself have been on Club3D cards a lot, never gave any problems. And they're actually fairly cheap compared to other brands.
As far as I've seen, the non-OC'd HD4850 is faster AND cheaper then the 9800GT series from nVidia cards.

But always, try-before-you-buy.
Make sure you get what you want, and always check for reviews.

#7 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:21 PM

ATi "sucked" in the time when the GeForce 6 to 8 were around because nVidia offered incredible products at the time. With the 9 series, nVidia dropped below and ATi came up with very good cards with a nice price/performance ratio. The latest nVidia cards are not bad pieces of hardware, they just don't exactly deliver what you can expect for your money compared to an ATi board. I can't help you though with choosing which model would best suit your needs as my hardware knowledge has thinned a lot in the past year or so, but I'd say in general you're better off with an ATi graphics card. Look at benches and price tags, those are usually a good indicator. :roadrunner:

#8 Sphere

Sphere

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:26 PM

Exactly my base of advice, same price ratio, but higher performance :roadrunner:

#9 nabz0r

nabz0r

Untraceable

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:48 PM

Thank you guys for helping me out. I got a little bit confused but I'll be 'key soon. lol

@ Sphere

What you meant was that 9800GT GDDR3 and HD4670 1GB GDDR3 are kinda same. But which one do you suggest as best between these 2? For the MB I guess I'll keep the current ones until I get a better suggestions or I'll choose one of the 2. I kinda like em and they're not so expensive. What do you think about the CPU?

Thanks again for helping!

Edited by nabz0r, 07 March 2009 - 04:51 PM.

#10 Sphere

Sphere

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:06 PM

CPU is ok, I'm not that much into the CPU's currently, but for the VGA, go with the ATi, it's cheaper in power-to-price ratio. Currently, ATi is the way to go anyway.

Just make sure it all works together nicely.
For the m/b, as I said, I've had bad experiences with my Asus board, but then again, Asus is a big brand, I might have a mondays board, which is my bad luck.

#11 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:13 PM

:roadrunner: meh Rik is full of himself as usual....I have a Phenom II 940 @ 3.67 ghz on air and it rocks .Cost 219$ including hsf unlocked multiplier etc. Rik don't forget to take yer intel stuff ,coat it liberally with petroleum jelly, and ever so gently insert it in your os externum and push it on past the sphincter muscle till it fits real nice :giggle:

#12 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:01 PM

For the record I love my 4870 w/1gb. There's nothing it can't handle at 1920 x 1200 w/everything up.

#13 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:07 PM

View Poststormrosson, on Mar 7 2009, 09:13 AM, said:

:roadrunner: meh Rik is full of himself as usual....I have a Phenom II 940 @ 3.67 ghz on air and it rocks .Cost 219$ including hsf unlocked multiplier etc. Rik don't forget to take yer intel stuff ,coat it liberally with petroleum jelly, and ever so gently insert it in your os externum and push it on past the sphincter muscle till it fits real nice :giggle:

:huh: ;) :band:

#14 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:05 AM

Allot of the advice is sound, even though everyone has some preference for one manufacturer over another.

The bottom line is buy the best equipment that you can afford.

Some things won't make allot of difference if you go cheap in order to afford the things that make a greater difference in gaming.

In a MB go more for the chipset than the options and brand.
A sound card can be put off for a while if you run short on cash.

Put most of your money in the video card and processor.

#15 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:44 PM

View Poststormrosson, on Mar 7 2009, 05:13 PM, said:

:friends: meh Rik is full of himself as usual....I have a Phenom II 940 @ 3.67 ghz on air and it rocks .Cost 219$ including hsf unlocked multiplier etc. Rik don't forget to take yer intel stuff ,coat it liberally with petroleum jelly, and ever so gently insert it in your os externum and push it on past the sphincter muscle till it fits real nice :giggle:

Storm, I see the 'flies' are gathering around your Phenom again, still, I suppose that's natural, they are attracted to sh!t after all :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users