In Windows XP, only one file had to be patched to allow the installation of custom themes, uxtheme.dll.
Many utilities have been created for this purpose for Windows XP, such as the UXTheme MultiPatcher.
For Vista, some utilities have been created recently as well.
The method outlined below is the original method for Vista, and is relatively more reliable then using a utility.
In Vista, three files must be patched uxtheme.dll, shsvcs.dll, and themeui.dll, all in %SystemRoot%\Windows\System32\.
Credit goes to Anti-TGTSoft for the patched files.
1. Download patched files Here.
2. Login as a user with Administrative privileges -or- have Administrative
credentials ready (check under the keyboard for a slip of paper).
3. Navigate to %systemroot%\System32
4. Right-click uxtheme.dll and click properties.
5. Take ownership of the file and close dialogs.
6. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for themeui.dll and shsvcs.dll
7. Right-click uxtheme.dll and click properties.
8. Give yourself (or group) Full Control permissions and close dialogs.
9. Repeat steps 6 and 7 for themeui.dll and shsvcs.dll.
10. Rename uxtheme.dll to uxtheme.old.
11. Rename themeui.dll to themeui.old.
12. Rename shsvcs.dll to shsvcs.old.
13. Copy patched files into %systemroot%\System32
14. Reboot (yes, this is really required)
15. You're done!
Edited by lhel1te, 12 January 2008 - 09:47 PM.