9 replies to this topic

#1 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 01:23 PM

AOL provide their own browser and usually reliability of AOL is not a problem. However i do not like the bulk of the software, and it eats at computer performance.

Navigating through their simple browser isnt fun, if you've used nothing else i am sure that you love it, but when i want to for example play games online, its sometimes impossible on a lower end computer as AOL has snatched my resources.

IT is possible to network with AOL, me and my friend tried to share the connection through my router and couldn't get it to work. However other ISP's worked immediately with it.

If you like AOL but don't like the way it eats your resources, why not create a new connection and type your details as follows.

Username: yourscreenname@aol.com
Password: (Your PW)
Number to dial: Check network connections in the control panel to see what number AOL would usually dial and make a note of it.

After doing this, you can remove AOL and still use your new connection, just make sure the modem remains installed. Download firefox and use that to browse the web, to check your e-mail visit AOL.com

#2 Mr Bad Guy

Mr Bad Guy

No more Mr Nice Guy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Interests:Football, music, movies (cinemas), friends, girls.

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:32 AM

cool tip, I use to have problems wit AOL and playing games at da same time.

but now wen I want to use da internet without starting AOL browser, I right click on da AOL icon on the system tray, then click on Start AOL Dialler, type the user name and password and click sign in. dat way u can use any internet browser u want and play games while connected to the internet.

but Neons tip sounds betta coz u get 2 use the internet witout AOL is installed at all.

#3 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:07 AM

My question is, is AOL really as bad as they are made out to be?

#4 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:27 AM

AOL would be fine but they give you their own browser, other than that no problems...the reliability isn't in question, just how their software takes all the memory and CPU.

#5 Mr Bad Guy

Mr Bad Guy

No more Mr Nice Guy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Interests:Football, music, movies (cinemas), friends, girls.

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:54 PM

plus they ain't da cheapest around. matter fact they r da most expensive ones i know!

#6 mufella

mufella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:09 AM

AOL sucks did u know that even the software is uninstalled they will still charge u.

#7 C0LDSH07

C0LDSH07

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:31 PM

I have heard some horrid stories about AO-"hell" - and have tried it on only one occassion. 1stly - I was definately not impressed. But to some people - I can imagine that thier dependancy on it leave less room for discovery without it.

Here is a site about some bad rep re: AOL;

Bad Rep:
http://www.heferito....estimonials.asp

Fun things to do with AOL disks:
http://stupidco.com/...e_finished.html

http://www.usedaoldi...ess_release.htm

http://www.halfbaker...disc_20recorder

There is a cult following it seems regarding the AOL CD's - I might have to jump on the bandwagon - well - maybe not...

:handlebars:

#8 wetlegs6

wetlegs6

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:57 PM

I am with A******s On-Line and luckily they gave me a wireless router when I joined.

Therefore I don't need to install ANY of their software, just configure the router and it auto-dials.

I do agree their software is ridiculously resource hogging.

(edit re: language)

#9 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 01:32 AM

My mom uses AOL, been trying to get her off of it for years. Its like taking herion away from a junkie, she wont give it up!

#10 C0LDSH07

C0LDSH07

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 02:31 PM

View PostNvyseal, on Jun 30 2006, 01:32 AM, said:

My mom uses AOL, been trying to get her off of it for years. Its like taking herion away from a junkie, she wont give it up!

LOL Sounds like we need some AOL Intervention!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users