- - - - -

Google backs private Moon landing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:07 PM

images/news/google.jpgSearch giant Google is offering a $30m prize pot to private firms that land a robot rover on the Moon. The competition to send a robot craft to the Moon is being run with the X-Prize Foundation. To claim the cash, any craft reaching the lunar surface must perform a series of tasks such as shoot video and roam for specific distances. Firms interested in trying for the prize have until the end of 2012 to mount their Moonshot.

In a statement announcing the competition, Google and the X-Prize Foundation said it had been created in a bid to stimulate research into low-cost robotic exploration of space. The top prize of $20m will be given to the private firm that soft lands a rover on the Moon which then completes a series of objectives. These include roaming the lunar surface for at least 500m and gathering a specific set of images, video and data. A prize of $5m will be given to the second firm that manages to reach the Moon with a rover that roams the surface and shoots some pictures.

Google said it would give bonuses of $5m if the rovers complete other objectives such as travelling further on the Moon, taking pictures of Apollo hardware, finding water-ice and surviving the freezing lunar night. Rovers taking part must be fitted with high-definition video and still cameras.

Full Story

#2 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:43 PM

View Postscaramonga, on Sep 13 2007, 03:07 PM, said:

//snip
Google said it would give bonuses of $5m if the rovers complete other objectives such as travelling further on the Moon, taking pictures of Apollo hardware, finding water-ice and surviving the freezing lunar night. Rovers taking part must be fitted with high-definition video and still cameras.
:chrisno: Now that is just plain cool. About time we did something with the Moon again. Let's prove that the Apollo landing DID happen LOL.

Edited by Christopholofigus, 13 September 2007 - 10:44 PM.

#3 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:51 PM

the google prize should just about pay for the lox. but oye vey! vhat aboud da bagels?

#4 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:53 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Sep 13 2007, 03:51 PM, said:

the google prize should just about pay for the lox.

Naw, i was thinking of a really large cannon to blast a robot filled cannonball at the Moon. A REAALLY big cannon. :chrisno:

#5 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:16 PM

Seems like a pretty safe prize- spend a $Billion- get a $20 Million prize.

Still- it is pretty cool. :chrisno:

Hey- why doesn't X64bit offer a prize?-
Say for the first computer to become self-aware! :chrisno:

Any amount would be OK--

#6 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 14 September 2007 - 04:04 PM

Cool!!! Lets start building ours!!! "The x64bit lunar lander" our slogan can be "taking 64 bit computing to the moon"!! I've got some rockets in my room that we can model off of, but I think we'll need some bigger engines then the A's B's and C's that I have around.

#7 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 04:19 PM

View Postchriso_86, on Sep 14 2007, 09:04 AM, said:

Cool!!! Lets start building ours!!! "The x64bit lunar lander" our slogan can be "taking 64 bit computing to the moon"!! I've got some rockets in my room that we can model off of, but I think we'll need some bigger engines then the A's B's and C's that I have around.
:chrisno: Nice, x64 computing takes over the moon. We'll have to get up the servers there and probably use solar cells and batteries to run it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users