62 replies to this topic

#16 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:00 PM

I agree it does look like the PSU but you may remember my problems this summer. It looks pretty much the same and it was a dead motherboard. I had spare parts to try everything out though. Sorry to complicate your problem a bit but I think it might equally be the PSU or the motherboard.

#17 mysticalmoose

mysticalmoose

CHARGE!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:25 PM

yeah i'll ask all the people i know for spare parts, but it's mainly a bummer because i just bought my first car (sweet!) , and that + gas + insurance is absurdly expensive (its like 2000 a year for my insurance), so i'm kinda runnin low on funds, so i'm trying to only buy the part thats broken. is there any way to test my PSU without buying anything new? cause that would be really nice

edit: The only reason i just don't go ahead and buy a PSU tester is because i really don't do that much work on computers, just my own one computer, so i would probably use it this once than it would sit on a shelf for a long time feeling wasteful

Edited by mysticalmoose, 29 October 2007 - 11:28 PM.

#18 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:55 PM

do you know anyone with a handheld tester that could check the thing? i have done it while the system is running (you test the molex connectors with a probe, going by color of wire and the voltage they are reported to support). i forget how to fire up a psu without being in a system. i know you jump a wire or two, i just forgot which ones...

#19 mysticalmoose

mysticalmoose

CHARGE!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:34 AM

i might be able to get my hands on one of those. and yes i can get it to power up, if the graphics card isn't in

Edited by mysticalmoose, 30 October 2007 - 12:34 AM.

#20 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:01 AM

to start the psu with out having it plugged into the Mother board jump the green wire to a black, any of the blacks works. I got a external fan running on a psu that way.

#21 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:34 AM

View PostCamaro, on Oct 29 2007, 06:01 PM, said:

to start the psu with out having it plugged into the Mother board jump the green wire to a black, any of the blacks works. I got a external fan running on a psu that way.

Just be careful--

:(

#22 mysticalmoose

mysticalmoose

CHARGE!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:00 PM

ok so i think i have a mobo downstairs i can test the PSU with, but once i get the psu started up, how do i test it?

#23 mysticalmoose

mysticalmoose

CHARGE!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:24 PM

bump...?

#24 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:49 PM

Well you dont need a mobo to test it, if you have a multimeter check the amount of power on all the plugs, the red are supposed to be 12v the yellow 5v, check it with no load then check it adding things such as hard drives and optical drives.

#25 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:50 PM

your best way to check it would be to have another psu and put it in your system if your system powers up and runs normally then the psu was the problem.

#26 mysticalmoose

mysticalmoose

CHARGE!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:54 PM

unfortunately i have no other PSU to do that with. i may be able to get my hands on a multimeter however

#27 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:29 PM

i would tend to leave the psu in the system, and power up without the vid card, and get your readings. have you altered the firmware or voltages of the gpu? what happens if you leave the gpu in, and disconnect it's power molex? i hope you get this sorted soon, and that the cure is cheap :scara:

#28 mysticalmoose

mysticalmoose

CHARGE!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:20 AM

i hope so too!

i think i can get my hands on a multimeter, not untill monday but i'll get one. i'll let you know when i get the results. thanks for the help so far!

#29 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:48 AM

View Postmysticalmoose, on Nov 8 2007, 06:20 PM, said:

i hope so too!

i think i can get my hands on a multimeter, not untill monday but i'll get one. i'll let you know when i get the results. thanks for the help so far!

Posted Image

#30 mysticalmoose

mysticalmoose

CHARGE!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:10 AM

when i test the molex, what do i do with the other end of the multimeter? thats the only thing i don't understand

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users