6 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:32 PM

images/news/microsoft.jpgMicrosoft's Security Essentials (MSE) is a stripped-down, easy to use, and effective Anti-Virus application written by the very people who know the most about how Windows works. It is now officially out of beta and freely downloadable.

If you are looking for simple virus protection, MSE is a 4.5MB download with a clean interface and small memory footprint. If you're already fairly smart about using your computer safely, Essentials will likely give you just the amount of protection you need. MSE stays up to date automatically, and can be scheduled to run at any time or interval. It has a handful of other configuration options, but is otherwise straight to the point.

Much of the functionality found in mainstream AV products is redundant, considering that Windows already has a firewall built-in and you're probably behind either your business's or broadband router's firewall. Additionally, most browsers have phishing detection features to help protect Web surfers from being duped.

MSE is also an excellent compliment to Windows 7. Regardless of Microsoft's tattered image regarding security, Windows 7 is a pretty secure OS, and a suite of security apps can do as much to hinder performance as to protect the PC.

PC World

#2 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:18 PM

:lol: installed and updated, now to see if it's worth a sh*t :clarky:

#3 scaramonga

scaramonga

CALLING ALL STATIONS

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:31 PM

Reports of users getting 80MB+ usage with MsMpEng.exe on 64bit systems with high CPU spikes.

Confirmation of whether this is true/untrue would be nice my little guinea pigs :lol:

#4 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:13 AM

go ahead rik, mikey ain't trying this... :lol:

#5 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:23 AM

View Postscaramonga, on Sep 30 2009, 04:31 PM, said:

Reports of users getting 80MB+ usage with MsMpEng.exe on 64bit systems with high CPU spikes.

Confirmation of whether this is true/untrue would be nice my little guinea pigs :clarky:
When I first installed it, there were some spikes with CPU, but now the background process gone back to almost null:

Posted Image

However, I can confirm while running a full sys scan, it hits 50% of the processor (but MS documentation says that, it is the ceiling for the process), and an 80+ spike. I was running IE8, FF and Outlook 2010. Each time I received an email, it spiked above 80:

Posted Image

Got it up above 90:

Posted Image

:lol: So, whatcha think guys? I never benched any others, so I have no baseline.

#6 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:54 PM

:moreilly: so far I gotta give it thumbs up. The spike issue I experienced was similar to Christos, altough running the identical apps simultaneously, I never saw over 62% and that was again, like Christo, on the first full scan. My x4 Phenom showed about the same results as my x2 Intel merom (hmmmm possibly cause I have ssd's in both machines?). It is def faster than Avg both in allowing apps to load while full time monitoring is running and scanning in general. Detection seemed identical with both ( had to go surf donkey pron sites and online gambling and such to pick up some s*** ), both found 7 drive-by's and 17 data miner cookies. It is lite, quick, and unobtrusive. A really good first shot imo :cheers:

Edited by stormrosson, 11 October 2009 - 04:57 PM.

#7 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:50 PM

Nice, thanks for the updated info Strom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users