59 replies to this topic

#1 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:59 PM

folding has raised my cpu temps to the mid/upper fifties :chriso: i hate to spend any more $$$ on gear atm, but something must be done (also, patty is complaining about the rig noise at night...). i am thinking innovatek (i want to go 1/4") blocks, and a small pump. not sure of using the fillport again, so maybe a pump/res combo mounted in a drive bay. still thinking about it all, but something has to happen soon, as summer is almost upon us...
:chriso:

#2 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:23 PM

Cool!!! Well have fun with that!! I'm glad I did mine!!

#3 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:46 PM

the pump...?

Posted Image

the blocks...?

Posted Image

and i found brackets that lian-li makes for mounting a rad in the drive bay area (just ordered the perforated bay covers).

#4 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:07 AM

Awesome pump dude!!!!!! That is the same pump I have, except I have the smaller version. You will love it!!!!!!

#5 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:35 AM

:chriso: Mid 50s and you are worrying? Hahahahaha! You panzy Mo. :) Last summer the inside of my apartment hit 105 degrees measured on a meat thermometer because the stat didn't go that high. :scara: My poor lappies were troopers. The N4750, a 3500+ hit 74C. Instead of shutting down F@H, I backed the multiplier down to to 11 and dropped the voltage. The temp dropped to a more comfy 69C. :D My N9750 was running 69C with F@H running 100% on both cores. I let it ride. I was desperately trying to run down Graffix for 4th. My X2-3800 OCed to 2.6 was running the same 69C. :storm: I wouldn't advocate running at extreme temps like this on a regular basis but all these rigs are still going strong. :) ( This happened last July for reference) Even with my Darkside Intel chips, under 70C is just fine. One Q6600 that will get watercooled this weekend has a Zalman 9700 on it that is overmatched. When I got home it was 89 degrees F and the cores were running 66C. Silicon is tough! :chriso: Anything under 60C will last till your equipment is obsolete and you would upgrade anyway. :dancing4: But hey, if you just have to justify a new W/C kit to someone ignore this post and go for it! :yahoo:

Edited by WFO, 08 May 2007 - 02:38 AM.

#6 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:04 AM

well, cpu #2 is @ 57C...has been for many many hours. if i am to fold, i think keeping it down a few will keep the rig happy :chriso: (i really really don't want to spend any more on the rig :chriso: , i don't want water, but i might just need it).

#7 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:08 AM

Don't fold??

Cooler temps guaranteed :chriso:

#8 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:21 AM

It's currently 86F in myapartment. The 1 Q6600 on air with the 9700 is running...

Core 0 61C
Core 1 61C
Core 2 58C
Core 3 58C

Those temps are safe. I'm just not happy because they are at stock speeds. I want to OC the snot out of this quad and therefore need water or better. :chriso: Water = good! :chriso: Go for it!!! :thaustin_powers_animated_dancin

#9 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:21 PM

well, i want everything in the case, so i have to think drive bay mounting. if i use the lian-li drive bay mounts, i can:
A- use one single 120 rad vertically mounted, which takes up 5 or so bays (not enough rad for the two cpus, me thinks...)

B- mount two 120s horizontally, taking up around 4 bays (with fans installed), which would lead to the availability of bay space for this:
Posted Image
solving much of my mounting issues.

these also hold some promise (core style rad, though the added tube area will affect the length of "head"):

Posted Image

and to keep costs down, these look good for block choices:

Posted Image
(w/ 1/4" barbs installed...).

#10 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:24 PM

and to keep costs down, these look good for block choices:

Cheeky sod!!

The Storm blocks are great.......I use em :chriso: :chriso:

#11 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:26 PM

View Postscaramonga, on May 8 2007, 09:24 AM, said:

Cheeky sod!!

The Storm blocks are great.......I use em :storm: :chriso:
:D

#12 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:30 PM

Apogee blocks.......sorry :chriso: :D :storm:

#13 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:41 AM

i finally decided what to get. kinda. i went 'round and 'round with the "internal/external" rad thing, rad size, etc. i wanted to keep everything onboard, so...

simple cpu blocks: the s940 two fastener options leave much to be desired. i find the stock method of attachment of hsf units way more secure. so i decided on these:

Posted Image

and the new HL rads, the GTX models in particular, look neat (a single 120 took a lot of frowned upon moments, but after checking the specs...):

Posted Image
(only two cpu to cool)

going 3/8 this time as well (rather than 1/2)

the pump is another issue all together. i dunno... Posted Image

the rad will be mounted in the front 5.24 drive bay area using these to secure it:

Posted Image

and rad fan(s):
Posted Image

(Enermax Marathon Enlobal 120mm Magnetic Bearing Fan...)

#14 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:35 AM

Dude, that is the exact pump I am using in my system!!! It totally rocks, haven't had a ounce of problems with it. And it is really really quite.

#15 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:03 AM

View Postchriso_86, on May 13 2007, 06:35 PM, said:

Dude, that is the exact pump I am using in my system!!! It totally rocks, haven't had a ounce of problems with it. And it is really really quite.
good to "hear" :angry: after checking out other options, i found that same pump, without the clear plastic top, for $69, so that was an easy choice. dang, even though i am just doing the cpus, the price is quite high (over $400 already :angry: ). i sure hope that the single 120 rad will do it for me. they claim it is quite an improvement over the earlier models in that size range (and of course, at twice the price :storm: ). no OCing for me, just cooler folding temps. this summer is going to be a real scorcher, and my rig is in one of the hottest rooms in the house (nowhere else to put it... :) ). if all else (single 120 rad) fails, i still have the triple 120 fan DD xtreme i'll hang out the back, if need be...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users