• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#31 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:34 PM

Hey Mo, remember that old adage..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it."? XP x64 wasn't and isn't broke and if you remember (it was a long time ago), XP x64 started this whole x64 thing. That is how you and I met and for that matter, most everyone here (and some other place we used to haunt :giggle: ). I still use XP x64 SP2 without any concerns or problems. I have tried Vista (I have it loaded on two systems a 64 and a 32 bit version) but those are not production system. They are only for play with nothing critical or even important done on them. I don't trust Vista enough to place critical information on the systems. If all else doesn't work, return to that which you know does...XP x64 SP2. Perhaps, and it is a big "perhaps", Redmond will come up with a new OS that will be worth the effort and not one just full of hype and empty promises...talker. :graduated:

#32 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:38 PM

i hear ya talker, but with the arrival of the server version (non drm), i was hoping to get that xp x64 goodness along with the pretty glass/gui sweetness. even though i had ran vista for quite a while, i still love and depend on my xp 64bit os for a bit of sanity.

#33 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:10 PM

:graduated: got it going on in x64: glass and audio! i waited and installed the audio and video drivers last, after activating the services necessary for the gui and audio goodness. had to run back to work, so i'll play with it some more this afternoon :giggle:

#34 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:53 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Mar 17 2008, 08:10 PM, said:

:blush: got it going on in x64: glass and audio! i waited and installed the audio and video drivers last, after activating the services necessary for the gui and audio goodness. had to run back to work, so i'll play with it some more this afternoon :)

:graduated: :giggle:

#35 Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft Windows MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:53 PM

Today I installed Server 2008 and found it really fast but it was not downloading my Toshiba tablet drivers using Automatic Updates which Vista used to do automatically. After doing lots of changes, I couldnt find any way to install the drivers, so I uninstalled it and came back to Vista. :graduated:

#36 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:01 PM

View PostVishal Gupta, on Mar 17 2008, 01:53 PM, said:

Today I installed Server 2008 and found it really fast but it was not downloading my Toshiba tablet drivers using Automatic Updates which Vista used to do automatically. After doing lots of changes, I couldnt find any way to install the drivers, so I uninstalled it and came back to Vista. :blush:

well dang. i gave up on vista driver updates (after installing the latest vendor supplied ones, vista would still recommend installing ones that were a year old!). you should be able to get the proper drivers from toshiba, if not 64bit, at least the 32...server is much faster than vista. just instant response. :graduated:

edit: and i plan on using your clear visual style :giggle:

#37 Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft Windows MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:05 PM

^^ Thanks. Now I'm happy with fresh Vista. May be I'll give another try to 2008 very soon. :graduated:

#38 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:59 PM

uh oh, no skype :graduated: HELP!!! lol, anyone have a fix (earlier version maybe?)?

#39 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:05 AM

Latest Skype version will crash 2 seconds after login, you need to install an earlier version.....:graduated:

Skype 3.1.0.152 works great.

GO GET

#40 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:20 AM

thanks mane :graduated:

#41 BlueScreenOfDeath

BlueScreenOfDeath

~* Hardware & Beta Guru *~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:14 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Mar 12 2008, 08:34 PM, said:

yep, like going along with scara, and installing vista :graduated:

(did you install the x64bit version and use an 8800gt?)

Ive installed the 64bit version at home and the vista drivers work for it.

View Posttalker, on Mar 13 2008, 06:41 AM, said:

OK, lets suppose that we d/l and install Server 2008, do all the extending of the time limit, reach the 240 day limit, and then see that we really like the OS. What will it take to buy a copy of Server 2008? I have a feeling that the price will make Vista look like DOS 5.0 in price comparison. Call me cynical but just thought I would toss this out. I have Vista on a laptop (x86) and a desktop (x64) but they both are secondary systems so I am not too concerned with how they perform. My production system is still XP x64 SP2. It still performs like it was brand new and has been loaded for several years now without a reload...talker. :giggle:

Try to find an education discount or get a MSDN subscription, thats about the only way to get around paying 3g for it

View Postm.oreilly, on Mar 13 2008, 11:17 PM, said:

not very...installed 32bit server, and...aero! and...no audio! lol, it didn't like my 32bit audio drivers, yet it bit at the 64bit ones during my last attempt with the x64 version...i am really burnt out on vista. very disappointed. yes, no drm in the server (though with the addition of WMP, who knows?), faster than vista, until it comes to file transfers, and just as in vista, as fast as mud.i really wish apple would release their OS to run on all the new hardware we use. i'm so depressed...

Enable the audio service , install Desktop Experience and the Audo Features and you should be all set. I have 2008 also running at work and until u see the build tag it looks exactly like vista.

#42 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:45 PM

yep, did all that, but installing the drivers after the services were up worked for me, and yes, can't really tell the difference:
Posted Image

#43 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:34 PM

:graduated: MO I thought u told me server 2008 was way fast and cool, are u havin second thoughts now homey? :giggle: errrrr this is a real question with no sarcasm intended :blush:

#44 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:32 PM

View Poststormrosson, on Mar 20 2008, 02:34 PM, said:

:giggle: MO I thought u told me server 2008 was way fast and cool, are u havin second thoughts now homey? :blush: errrrr this is a real question with no sarcasm intended :)

what you talkin bout holms? this is server...i just turned on the candy. even with everything on (and no drm!), it kicks @ss :graduated:

#45 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:23 PM

It does indeed! :giggle:

Those horrible little shorcut arrows are spoiling the desktop though...... :graduated:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users