#1 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 16 February 2008 - 05:12 PM

images/news/dvd.jpgToshiba Corp is planning to stop production of equipment compatible with the HD DVD format for high-definition video, allowing the competing Blu-Ray camp a free run, public broadcaster NHK reported on Saturday.

Toshiba is expected to suffer losses amounting to tens of billions of yen (hundreds of millions of dollars) to scrap production of HD DVD players and recorders and other steps to exit the business, Japan's NHK said on its website.

Reuters

#2 TheBearLT

TheBearLT

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:40 PM

Btw, If those BR and HDDVD disc was made just for a High definition content, then It is quite useless money spending overall..

Basically every BR movie can be compressed to a same quality and resolution DivX video that will fit on a standard 4gDVD..

The question is, why not just taking DivX to the next level, why development of a new technology.. ?

Of Course for data storage this is definitely awesome, but so far as I see, everyone brags about the movies only.........

#3 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:06 AM

It's about time this crap got over. I just ordered three more movies tonight to celebrate!!! Woot!!!

Amazon buy 2 get one free, can't beat it!!!

#4 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:49 AM

Buy them while there hot then, cuz I believe the price will sky rocket now that they are the only game in town.

#5 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:22 AM

View PostCamaro, on Feb 16 2008, 11:49 PM, said:

Buy them while there hot then, cuz I believe the price will sky rocket now that they are the only game in town.

:christo:

#6 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:39 PM

View PostCamaro, on Feb 17 2008, 02:49 AM, said:

No way. You have to remember that to begin with the main format war was actually between next gen. discs (HD-DVD and Blu-ray) against DVD. Sony still has to keep bringing prices down inorder to get more people to switch over. I do think that prices will probably stay about the same for about 6 months though now.

#7 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:30 PM

:roadrunner: I'm with Chris here Cam, I think after a few months and a plethora of vendors start makin blu-ray hardware that the price will go the same way all the previous optical disk hw went.....down,way down in price :storm: but thats just a thought.......

#8 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:23 AM

I sure hope your Right guys, but from my understanding, and seeing sony never goes cheap except to undercut the competition, and in this case blu Ray is there baby thus everyone has to pay royalties thus that will keep prices up.

#9 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:49 AM

Ah storm it makes me so happy to have you on my side here!! lol

#10 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:13 AM

Now that Sony is the only song in town, they can name the tune as well as how fast or how slow it plays. We have seen this before and it often isn't pretty for the consumer...talker. :roadrunner:

#11 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:04 AM

Well you know the war served it's purpose. Players started out at 1000 dollars and because of the war the player are down to several hundred now when on sale. Prices dropped far faster then when DVD came out. Things are shaping up well.

#12 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:41 AM

View Posttalker, on Feb 17 2008, 09:13 PM, said:

Now that Sony is the only song in town, they can name the tune as well as how fast or how slow it plays. We have seen this before and it often isn't pretty for the consumer...talker. :roadrunner:
There are currently 18 members of the Blu-ray Disc Association, so it's not just Sony.

http://en.wikipedia....isc_Association

#13 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:05 AM

View Postbrewin, on Feb 17 2008, 10:41 PM, said:

There are currently 18 members of the Blu-ray Disc Association, so it's not just Sony.

http://en.wikipedia....isc_Association

Interesting to know brewin, thanks much. But being the eternal skeptic, I still see the song being owned by a single entity. In the case instead of Sony alone it is the BDA. I will reserve my judegment until we see how the BDA handles things...talker. :roadrunner:

#14 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:33 AM

View Posttalker, on Feb 18 2008, 12:05 AM, said:

Interesting to know brewin, thanks much. But being the eternal skeptic, I still see the song being owned by a single entity. In the case instead of Sony alone it is the BDA. I will reserve my judegment until we see how the BDA handles things...talker. :roadrunner:
Well, every proprietary format is controlled by a company or association. For instance, DVD is controlled by the DVD Forum.

There's no getting around it, other than not buying movies.

#15 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:51 AM

View Postbrewin, on Feb 17 2008, 09:33 PM, said:

...other than not buying movies.

well with the utter crap that is financed and presented as entertainment these days, that won't be too hard. it would have been much more medium artistic to have made better, or should i say, real good filums, rather than just make the crap look "better", or "with much more detail/realism", though nature/travel documentaries (and not the sports illustrated bikini variety) would be most welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users