35 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:29 PM

images/news/gaming.jpgIrrational Games' BioShock, which has been eagerly anticipated as the spiritual successor to System Shock, is now available for preloading on the Valve Steam network.

Preloading allows a user to download the game files in the background, which are then automagically transformed into game files when the game is unlocked, which in this case happens on Aug. 21 in the United States, and Aug. 24 in Europe.

In case you're interested (probably some spoilers in there, so be careful) the manual has also been officially released in PDF format.

Pre purchase and Download NOW from Steam

Download the Manual (PDF)

#2 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:28 PM

Review results...............

OXM uk: 10/10
PC Gamer uk: 95/100
PC Zone: 96/100
Eurogamer: 10/10
Gamer.tv: 5/5
Game Informer: 10/10
AP Magazine: 5/5
Computers & Video Games: 9.5/10
Gamepro: 10/10
1up: 10/10
Xbox World: 94/100
Gamespy: 5/5
Console and Gameworld: 99/100
IGN: 9.7/10
Gamesradar: 10/10

It's been a long time since a game was this critically acclaimed, and i don't mean IGN review-like acclaimed, but anybody who I've heard talking about this game is just going nuts over it, even people from the gaming industry. There's people screaming game of the century already.

Bandwidth all ready and waiting :Laie_56: :(

#3 GSG-9

GSG-9

Kicking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:Computers,<br />Drums/Sleeping,<br />Work (I guess?).<br />(In that order)

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:51 AM

Im told some of the other toysrus stores released it early by mistake. :Laie_56:
Not mine though :( 6038 is a good toys r us :RJsPC:

#4 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:17 AM

Ok, well I downloaded the demo this afternoon for my xbox 360 because it came out over xbox live. I played it for about thirty minutes and deleted it. I wasn't all that impressed. The graphics aren't that super compared to games that are one year old for the 360. The controls seems a little weird, and and I don't like the shooting style at all. The plot is kinda cool but I don't like scarey games that much like: Fear, Half-Life, and now Bioshock is added to my list. Skip it guys, the hype will wear off. Crysis will blow this thing away!!!

#5 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:46 AM

I played it for about thirty minutes and deleted it. I wasn't all that impressed.

I'd gather you'd say that.

The graphics aren't that super compared to games that are one year old for the 360.

The graphics are super amazing and have the best water effects ever seen in any game so far. Environments are rich and alive, so much so, that you want to just hang around and gasp in awe at the detail. (something I guess is missing on the 360 (console) version) :Laie_56:

The controls seems a little weird, and and I don't like the shooting style at all.

This is not your average FPS shooter. Weapons & effects/skills combine to form many ways of disposing enemies, a lot of them pretty darn fun in the process. The controls will seem weird as your using a 360 (console) to play a 'man's' game (PC). :(

This game has already wiped the floor with and knocked Crysis for six before it's began. :RJsPC:

Mark my words. I was right about Vista! :lol:

#6 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:18 AM

View Postscaramonga, on Aug 16 2007, 07:46 PM, said:

Mark my words. I was right about Vista! :(
OK, lets not get carried away :Laie_56:

#7 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:53 AM

I simply cannot wait for this game. I recently took back an EVGA 8800gts and picked up an MSI 8800gtx just so I'd be able to run Bioshock with everything on full. I like this trailer best:

And Chriso, I do believe that Scara is right on the money with regard to the Xbox vs. PC versions. The PC version has different weapon controls and whole new switching menu that aren't available on the Xbox version. But if you didn't like FEAR or HL(2), I can see how this game might not appeal. On my end, FEAR and HL2 are the best games I've ever played. :Laie_56:

Come on Tuesday!!

#8 GSG-9

GSG-9

Kicking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:Computers,<br />Drums/Sleeping,<br />Work (I guess?).<br />(In that order)

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:09 PM

I think my 7800 will fail me...

#9 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:44 PM

I think you should save your money for a real game!!

#10 GSG-9

GSG-9

Kicking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 01:27 AM

I donno, the only demo I saw for it was the one above and it seems to have amazing perspective. They seem to have done an excellent job.

#11 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:39 AM

If anyone is interested in Trying Bioshock PC version im uploading it to our server for a quick download.

#12 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:47 AM

I am so impressed with this clip it is difficult to put into words, I was so anxiously anticipating Crysis but this looks even better which at this time I didn't think was possible. Microsoft has a game coming out that has some insane water effects as well as night and day changes that look lifelike. (alan Wake is the game and the clip was impressive but this beats it without question) It isn't WOW so I didn't expect chris to like it anyways.

#13 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:20 AM

I have it all installed and ready to go. Gonna walk the dog and then play the full game. I can post some thoughts here about 3EST.

#14 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 05:29 AM

Gonna edit this as Steam has released a patch which fixes this stuff.

Edited by banj0, 25 August 2007 - 07:41 AM.

#15 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:07 AM

After going through all that and getting the game to run...

Wow. Unreal. Saying that the graphics are "good" is like saying that an Audi has "good" engineering. The game is simply a quantum leap forward in PC gaming. From my perspective, there has never been a game that engages you this fully since HL2. It's weird to even describe what you see as "graphics." It's more like cinematography. Early in the game, you have to choose between killing an enemy (called a splicer) or running through a tunnel to get away. I ran twice and fought the enemy three times and the visual effects of the water on a tunnel were different all 5 times. Apparently, the game reacts to your choices.

The common: you are a person not very well-equipped to handle the world in front of you. There is a guy that communicates over short-wave that seems to think you are his best chance at saving his family. You can swing a monkey-wrench at "foes" or right-click switch to your "plasmid" and hit them with a blast of electricity before you hit them with a wrench.

The uncommon: your hearing gets distorted if a bomb goes off near you. Your vision gets distorted if a splicer pokes at your eye. If neither of those happen, the game serves up crystal clear audio and visual effects. Now, how the f does the game "know" your condition?!?

I'm going to sleep with a hell of a lot of expectations for getting through the prologue. Very, very cool.

Edited by banj0, 22 August 2007 - 07:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users