14 replies to this topic

#1 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:59 PM

Ok, my little brother has been running for years on my older, discarded video cards. He used to have my SLI'ed 6600GT's, which was pretty decent, but they failed one after the other. A friend of ours gave him a 8800 GTX until he could find a new one, which he hasn't since he doesn't have any money (16, no job yet).

So I want to find him a new one for his birthday in 2 weeks. I've been looking at cards for weeks now, and the Radeon 5750 looked pretty good to me, but I can't find one at a decent price. I'm looking to pay MAXIMUM $100.

So I'm now thinking about the 4770 or 5670. 4770 seems better but 5xxx series have DirectX11, stuff like that, so I'm not sure. What do you think? I was also looking at 4850 or nVidia 9800GT. All of them I can find for around the same price so it's hard to choose. Also feel free to throw in other option :giggle:

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:21 PM

hey bro, i'll sell you my 5850 for $100 plus shipping. the ati ccc doesn't work in server 2008 r2, so i can't correct for underscan on a 1080 display. works super in xp/vista/win7 though (gets a 7.7 wei score @ stock settings). i'd like to run server, so i'll replace it with an inexpensive nvidia w/hdmi port (but i need to sell this for fundage. i'm really upset that i can't get overscan with this in server. it's a deal breaker for me...).

#3 scaramonga

scaramonga

CALLING ALL STATIONS

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:41 AM

Can't beat NV with Photoshop with all those Open GL features lol.....eh MO? :jerry:

:giggle:

#4 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:46 AM

lol, the ati does a super job of it :giggle: i just want to use the server os so bad, that i'll settle for less gpu power to use it.

#5 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:38 PM

Heh, I'm getting MO's card, but now I'm finding my brother's PSU won't handle it...

Alright, I think, I'll just swap mine with his and he'll be fine! But then I'll be in trouble... With 4 SATA drives, 7 120mm fans (yes, 7) and a 8800 GTS, I'm afraid 420W won't cut it. Hell, according to this calculator my 520W is not even enough!

So I think I may be in for some PSU shopping, or do you think it should be fine as it is?

I've been looking at:

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=466...mp;promoid=1069
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=423...mp;promoid=1069
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=330...mp;promoid=1069

#6 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:15 PM

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=261...facture=ENLIGHT

enlight is what silverstone uses for their branded psus. it's a little more $$$, but a great unit.

all the units you mentioned should do.

#7 scaramonga

scaramonga

CALLING ALL STATIONS

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:53 PM

This without a doubt!

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=26415&vp...mp;promoid=1069

:giggle:

Me and Strom have one and they are excellent :jerry:

#8 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:18 AM

Those you mentioned are a bit pricey for me (remember those prices are in $CAD), although the Corsair one has a great rebate, it's very tempting... But wouldn't the 650W be enough? Provided I can find it at a decent discounted price.

I think I'll wait for next week's specials and also keep looking at other stores.

#9 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:38 AM

650 should be plenty :giggle:

#10 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:46 AM

that TT you linked to should do a great job, my first choice being the enlight (we in the states can't purchase certain enlight models. i got mine because a dealer here was selling them before he had to pull them, as silverstone was rebranding them, and if you wanted to sell anything silverstone, and keep the lawyers away...)

#11 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:08 AM

I'm concerned about the +5V rail on the Thermaltake, as it's rated as only 15A, which seems drastically low compared to the OCZ's 25A or even the old Enermax's 30A. With 4 hard drives, plus optical and floppy, will 15A be enough? I've never looked into the details of PSU specs besides +12V rails so I don't really know...

#12 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:12 AM

then the ocz looks to be in favor :giggle: , though hdd are not as hungry/have spikes compared to other components.

#13 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:15 AM

with the enlight, i had either 6x scsi 15,000rpm drives, or 8x 10,000rpm sas drives attached, and no worries...on a dual cpu socket mobo, 7900gtx/8800gt gpus

#14 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:21 AM

Finally made a decision! It was worth it to wait until this week's specials cause I'm getting this.

It's so much more powerful than any other I've seen for the same price it's hard to believe they sell it for such a low price. This should keep me going for a long time (hell, it's certified for dual GTX 470!).

#15 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:31 AM

looks good :giggle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users