51 replies to this topic

#1 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:47 AM

after enjoying my asus directcu gtx560ti and 570, i was thinking about getting one of the 680 cards that have come down in price as of late. i remember when they first hit, and i had my finger on the 'buy' button, but somehow i always missed out (yes, $600 for a short lifespan gpu seems stupid, but hey, i had a hole in my pocket at the time...), and they were no longer in stock.
maybe this:

http://www.amazon.co...5/dp/B007ZT2E1C

or:

http://www.tigerdire...522511&csid=_61

or...? i dunno, this build doesn't seem finished unless it has a similar, 'contemporary' gpu...

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:30 AM

rik hasn't checked in to wise me up yet...what up wit dat?

#3 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:31 AM

Probably in Jail, give him a couple of days so he can make bail or they get sick of him and release him :giggle: :flower:

#4 scaramonga

scaramonga

CALLING ALL STATIONS

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

I made bail. They accepted my copy of Windows 8 as security. Gonna do a 'runner' now :scara:

570 to 680, hmm, not worth it IMO, you will see very little difference @ 1920x1200 and below, a few fps here and there if you are a 'gamer', but MO, your not? So why bother lol?

The 'superclocked' and 'OC' versions are a waste of money also, as your better off saving the cash and clocking them yourself. The pre-clocked versions have very little headroom for clocking further, as they are near the max out of the box, best off sticking with a reference card.

I was gonna upgrade my 580, but the cost for gain is just not worth it. I suppose if I sold my 580 and got a decent price, then maybe the price difference may be worth it. But I just cant be assed with that noncense. It runs all I need ATM and never struggles with any game on the present market.

The new Nvidia cards are coming early in 2013, now thats a different story ;) I would recommend waiting to see what they bring to the table :)

#5 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:53 AM

2560x1440...i dunno, i hate waiting lol! there will always be something new just around the corner, but the prices on these are dropping...

#6 scaramonga

scaramonga

CALLING ALL STATIONS

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:42 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on 08 December 2012 - 02:53 AM, said:

2560x1440...i dunno, i hate waiting lol! there will always be something new just around the corner, but the prices on these are dropping...

Ahh to have money lol ;) Go get urself a prossie for a lot cheaper m8. Next week, get another, as she will be just as 'new around the corner', then save the extra on takin your wife out for a nice meal, or two. Maybe then will the 680 have dropped in price so much, that you will want a 780 :giggle:

Scara returns to jail, and tells them to keep that turd regardless.

#7 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:21 AM

i must have this
http://www.tigerdire...184513&csid=_61

#8 scaramonga

scaramonga

CALLING ALL STATIONS

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:52 AM

Posted Image

#9 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:58 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on 08 December 2012 - 04:21 AM, said:

MO, do you know that card has more processing power than all my PC's combined? what are you doing? building another IBM Watson?

#10 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:48 AM

its the runner up, as the 'classified' are out of stock...

#11 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

View Postscaramonga, on 06 December 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

The 'superclocked' and 'OC' versions are a waste of money also, as your better off saving the cash and clocking them yourself. The pre-clocked versions have very little headroom for clocking further, as they are near the max out of the box, best off sticking with a reference card.

Totally agree with Scara on this. My Zotac 560ti was standard core and memory instead of the OC or AMP versions but it runs @ 920 core and 2150 memory absolutely fine on stock cooling. For a $200 U.S. card, it runs just about every game maxed out at better clocks than the factory OC'd ones, at least according to most online benchmarks. Caveat being that I always turn shadows down on just about every game; biggest frame waste in the world imho. Darth (Enip) and I like to record our BF3 gameplay for montages and with everything except for shadows on Ultra, 2xMSAA, HBAO, it records at a steady 50 frames/second. When not recording it's ~ 80 frames. The 680 (* only from what I've read) gets similar numbers but with shadows on Ultra. Maybe it'd hit over 100 with shadows turned down but for almost $380 more compared to a 560ti IDK why anyone would want it. Perhaps for the 2048Gb textures on something like Skyrim because of the extra VRAM?

#12 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

thanks for the input. maybe if i must, the 670 would be cool. the new 660ti have a smaller memory bus (why???). i wanted the newer version of my ti (gave the 570 to my daughter for her gaming rig), but not the lesser bus, plus i always get the 'gt' versions, though they are more than enough for what i use them for. maybe the 670 w/4gigs, like the asus directcu 670 (looks exactly like my asus 560ti, which is just the right size so as not to block my boards pch...

#13 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:51 AM

oh man, evga classified is back in stock...
a toss between the classified:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130801
the previously mentioned one,or
the asus directcuii
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814121634

or this intriguing model from gigabyte...
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814125437

they all have top components, so durable

#14 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:04 AM

View Postscaramonga, on 08 December 2012 - 03:42 AM, said:

...Go get urself a prossie for a lot cheaper m8...
i don't think patty would like this...

#15 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:44 AM

Gigabyte uses crappy caps, they blow quickly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users