31 replies to this topic

#1 Scuba

Scuba

I see you!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 05:36 AM

So I have been cruising around with just a 15" CRT since the age of the PC, since I always wanted to be faster instead of having a great image. Well, that all changed this Christmas. I must have been extra good this year because I got a new Samsung SyncMaster 226bw.
Specifications
Monitor Type LCD Monitor
Resolution 1680 x 1050
Pitch 0.282 mm
Response Time 2 ms
Contrast Ratio 1000:1 / 3000:1 (dynamic)
Brightness 300 cd/m2
Aspect Ratio 16:10
System Type PC, Mac
Display Technology TFT active matrix
Color Support 24-bit (16.7 million colors)
General Product Information Additional Features Sync on Green, MagicTune, MagicBright 3, OSD-Digital Display Director, MagicBright 2
Interface Provided 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15), 24 pin digital DVI
Dimension 16.6 in x 20.3 in x 8.6 in (HxWxD)

I just got this bad boy up and running and WOW, I finally see what I have been missing all these years. The only down fall now is I need to build a new rig for this bad boy now (I'm greedy and want to up to a quad like MO). I thought I was done spending money this year but It looks like I have only started.

Thanks Santa (aka MOM)

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 06:08 AM

sa-weet :giggle:

#3 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 25 December 2007 - 03:44 PM

Nice gift ! :giggle:

#4 TheBearLT

TheBearLT

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 05:07 PM

NICE GIFT man

Btw.. do you know what Psychologists thinks about "Santa Claus Lie" ?

"Parents who encourage a belief in Santa are foisting a grand deception on their children, who inevitably will be disappointed and disillusioned."

what do you think on this ? :giggle: Is it good to Lie ?

#5 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 05:47 PM

I think that is crap.

With that, you could crush a child's imagination. No more Micky Mouse, Cinderella, Snow White etc.

Where would we be if there were no imagination, thats where innovation begins

#6 Scuba

Scuba

I see you!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:38 AM

View PostNvyseal, on Dec 25 2007, 11:47 AM, said:

I think that is crap.

With that, you could crush a child's imagination. No more Micky Mouse, Cinderella, Snow White etc.

Where would we be if there were no imagination, thats where innovation begins

I agree 100%. Rules and standards only lead to a world of puppets and zombies, but allowing us to dream and think on our own gives us the chance to create our own ideas and perceptions on how things should or could be. With out this, we would still be living in the stone age.

#7 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:01 AM

View PostTheBearLT, on Dec 25 2007, 09:07 AM, said:

NICE GIFT man

"Parents who encourage a belief in Santa are foisting a grand deception on their children, who inevitably will be disappointed and disillusioned."

what do you think on this ? :) Is it good to Lie ?

WHAT?? There is no Santa Claus??

Say your only kidding!!

#8 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:58 PM

What a sweet monitor. Nice to know that Santa still comes through...for some of us. (I hope my envy green is not showing)...talker.

Now to the opinion of Santa Claus...

View PostTheBearLT, on Dec 25 2007, 11:07 AM, said:

NICE GIFT man

what do you think on this ? :) Is it good to Lie ?

In addition to being a Priest, I also have degrees (BA, MA) and experience in counseling (traditional counseling, not Christian counseling) and ran a counseling practice for several years. Most of my clients were in the age group 12 to 18. Some were younger but only a small percentage. However, I can't recall a single child that had not had the Santa Claus story as a part of the formative years. None exhibited any problems concerning the transition from a fantasy of Santa Claus to the reality that he isn't there. One can always find a case that will confirm a particular point of view. Children are so easily "manipulated" in such studies that the examiner can get almost any results that he or she is seeking. It is very difficult to phrase questions of such a magnitude of subject in such a way not to overwhelm a young child. With the lack of understanding by the child, the examiner can "steer" the child in almost any direction. One thing that I did notice in many of my clients was a lack of imagination. With the reliance of television and video games for visual and mental stimulation, the child has little reason learn to use their own sense of make believe. Fantasies, such as Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy at least give the child some opportunity to purely imagine. With other avenues hindering the development of the imagination, perhaps we should invent more childhood fantasies such as Santa Claus. Now, you may ask how did I deal with Santa Claus and my children (I took my Preistly vows after my children were grown and my wife departed) and the question would be fair. I told my children, each Christmas Eve that you go to bed believing that Santa will come, when you get up Christmas morning, he will have been there. I guess the last time that scenario took place the kids were 12 and 13. They knew the truth but still relished in the enjoyment of the fantasy. Each parent should be quided by what they think is best for their home and children and not the opinion of a group study somewhere. Does the idea of Santa Claus foster lying, I think not but it does create some of the greatest memories of childhood for many...talker. :)

#9 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2007 - 02:41 PM

but it does create some of the greatest memories of childhood for many

I totally agree :)

#10 TheBearLT

TheBearLT

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:02 PM

View Posttalker, on Dec 26 2007, 03:58 PM, said:

.........ination. With the reliance of television and video games for visual and mental stimulation, the child has little reason learn to use their own sense of make believe. Fantasies, such as Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy at least give the child some opportunity to purely imag.....

Wow.. thank you Talker for such a Great opinion, thank you all guys...

Now Another question.. What do you Think about the fact, that 80-90% of children, on Christmas almost forgetting about Jesus.. in fact, some of them Deeply believes that Santa is better, or that Santa and Jesus are the same Person ?

Posted Image

Like if you ask Jesus for Presents, he will not give it to ya.. But if you ask Santa, you will get 'em next day..
Btw, some Experts believes, that "Santa" in some way destroying Jesus, and Christianity overall.

Thank you

Edited by TheBearLT, 26 December 2007 - 04:07 PM.

#11 talker

talker

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:49 PM

Hello Bear,
I understand what you are saying and your figures are no doubt very factual. It is easily understandable that a child (and perhaps many adults) would have a much quicker and more positive response to a present that can be held and played with such as one from Santa Claus. While the "presents" from Jesus are not necessarily immediate nor tangible. The comparison between the two is an apple to orange comparision. Much of this, as with many things, is dependent on the parent(s) TEACHING the children the difference in the facts and fantasies of life. If we wish to make the difference between Santa Claus and Jesus a boxing match, then most assuredly we can. However, I believe my children and most others are/will be able to evaluate the difference AFTER they are old enough to make such desicions. The answer from a 5 year old will, I believe, be somewhat different from that of a 15 year old were they asked the same question.

I will end my input into this subject here. As long as we were discussing psychology, it was an open forum and good for discussion. However, there seems to be more to this discussion than the basic subject seems to reveal and I won't waltz into a theological shooting match. Should you, or anyone, wish to continue this, please feel free to PM me and we can exchange all the thoughts we want to...talker.

#12 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:38 AM

man, i love this site :)

#13 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:09 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Dec 26 2007, 08:38 PM, said:

man, i love this site :)

Agreed. :)

My .02--- Seasonal festivals should be a time for people of all faiths, or lack thereof, to remember how lucky we are that we breathe. Or how lucky we are to watch a kid opening a gift. After all, it's not the contents, it's the mystery of what might lay beneath the wrapping that blows your hair back, right? Ideally, the simple act of spending time in merriment with other people (or trout) might be enough for stubborn grouches like me to have pause, even for a moment, and give solid thought about how we may be able repay the gift of life by bringing just a moment of joy to someone else in the coming year.

Some feel a great sense of inspiration and fulfillment when those festivals also carry a sacrosanct representation of their faith. I don't know how anyone with a heart could ever begrudge that. Atheists and Believers are all writing the same story, they just use different phrasing.

Taken as a whole, and regardless of how we all may define "holiday", it's undeniable that, when done properly, this time of year can be a great reboot for the soul. Until we upgrade those to a more stable release, it's just cool to toast the new year and look to the future as if it were a gift waiting to be unwrapped. It probably is.

And I know that's all rose-colored stuff and the type of thing humans have been thinking about since we were capable of the act. But we should still try. It's been years and years and years of trying to come up with the cosmic ice cream flavor and we haven't given up on that yet either, right?

#14 talker

talker

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:21 AM

Impressive banj0, very impressive...talker. :)

#15 Scuba

Scuba

I see you!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:27 AM

View Postbanj0, on Dec 26 2007, 10:09 PM, said:

Taken as a whole, and regardless of how we all may define "holiday", it's undeniable that, when done properly, this time of year can be a great reboot for the soul. Until we upgrade those to a more stable release, it's just cool to toast the new year and look to the future as if it were a gift waiting to be unwrapped.

This is very true. I tend to take things for granted some times and don't stop to think of how lucky I really am to have what I do and more importantly WHO I have. It is sweet having this big a$$ monitor, but I truly enjoy being with my family and friends more, being able to sit around and reflect on the year gone by, and making wishful plans for the future to come. The holidays just remind us to stop and take a look around at what we really have, to be kind to our fellow man and to be cheerful; even if we do only do it once a year, something is better than nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users