• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:55 PM

View Postbluerip, on Dec 20 2007, 10:47 PM, said:

I'm gonna get some popcorn. Anybody want anything? :friends:

Yummmmm sounds good. Can I get one with LOTS of butter and a huge Dr Pepper???? Please...talker. :giggle:

#17 TheBearLT

TheBearLT

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:35 PM

So Talker, your System is "Up" in SLi ?

#18 talker

talker

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:06 AM

View PostTheBearLT, on Dec 21 2007, 10:35 AM, said:

So Talker, your System is "Up" in SLi ?

Nope, the other 8500 is in but it may be next week before I can go get it. I have to plan and lead 2 Christmas services and Communion for Sunday and Monday and the lead the Church going caroling Sunday nite so the weekend is somewhat booked. It will probably be Thursday before I can go pick up the card. I am so anxious to see how it will do...talker. :giggle:

#19 talker

talker

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 01:15 PM

Well guys, I found the time to run and get the other 8500GT. I installed the thing and was getting Code 12 (insufficient resources) errors in Device Manager. I had the system slightly OCd (4%) but really didn't think that would make any difference. I fussed with the thing but could never get the system to initilize the new 8500. Vista saw the card and installed the Nvidia drivers but reported insufficient resources to run the card saying to disable something to free some resources. I rebooted selecting "Optomized Defaults" in the bios. Immediately, the new card was initialized and the SLI option became available in the Nvidia Control Panel. The option was selected and BOOM...SLI without a crossover bridge. Now you ask, what is the difference? I ran a 3D Mark 06 (Now remember, these are 256 MB 8500GT cards) with a score of 2996. After the SLI was set in motion, the score was 4096. That is about a 37% increase. Not too shabby even for the lower grade cards as the 8500s. I can only imagine what it would be like with the 8800s. The system over all is much more resonsive. The TV card even connects better. I will continue to tweak the system and play with the options to see what it will do. At least it is alot of fun. But one odd thing, the Vista Performance Rating did not change. With one 8500 the graphics rating was 5.0 and the gaming graphics at 5.3. With both 8500 in SLI, the rating did not change. Vista in the detail of the Performance Rating does not even recognize the extra 256 MB on the second card. So the OS uses the extra graphics power as the 3D Mark 06 scores reveals but still see only the initial card. Interesting...talker. :giggle:

#20 TheBearLT

TheBearLT

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 03:04 PM

View Posttalker, on Dec 24 2007, 03:15 PM, said:

Well guys, I found the time to run and get the other 8500GT. I installed the thing and was getting Code 12 (insufficient resources) errors in Device Manager. I had the system slightly OCd (4%) but really didn't think that would make any difference. I fussed with the thing but could never get the system to initilize the new 8500. Vista saw the card and installed the Nvidia drivers but reported insufficient resources to run the card saying to disable something to free some resources. I rebooted selecting "Optomized Defaults" in the bios. Immediately, the new card was initialized and the SLI option became available in the Nvidia Control Panel. The option was selected and BOOM...SLI without a crossover bridge. Now you ask, what is the difference? I ran a 3D Mark 06 (Now remember, these are 256 MB 8500GT cards) with a score of 2996. After the SLI was set in motion, the score was 4096. That is about a 37% increase. Not too shabby even for the lower grade cards as the 8500s. I can only imagine what it would be like with the 8800s. The system over all is much more resonsive. The TV card even connects better. I will continue to tweak the system and play with the options to see what it will do. At least it is alot of fun. But one odd thing, the Vista Performance Rating did not change. With one 8500 the graphics rating was 5.0 and the gaming graphics at 5.3. With both 8500 in SLI, the rating did not change. Vista in the detail of the Performance Rating does not even recognize the extra 256 MB on the second card. So the OS uses the extra graphics power as the 3D Mark 06 scores reveals but still see only the initial card. Interesting...talker. :giggle:

Hmm.. what Power Supply you have installed in your System ?

#21 talker

talker

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 02:53 PM

A good question Bear but the Code 12 error is/was an internal error for a lack of resources within the OS such as IRQ, DMA, Memory, or I/O. When I selected "Optomized Defaults" the system then spreads the resources as needed supposing everything to be balanced by the CMOS. I have tried to OC again. If I attempt an OC the system then has no resources for either of the 8500s. But to answer your question, the PSU is a 500W with 28A on a single 12V rail. Granted, I am going to try another PSU just as a case of "What if?" but I also have the same problem on the Sager lappy if I try to initiate Hyperthreading on the P4. I am looking to the MS KB to see if I can locate any help. Merry Christmas...talker. :giggle:

#22 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:25 PM

I had the same error in Vista back in the 6600gt days. No problem in XP but Vista would never be able to run them in SLi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users