21 replies to this topic

#1 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 03:39 AM

i have noticed, as of late, that cpu #2 is looking "funny" in task manager: notice the "spikes", and the percentage of cpu usage (kernel usage is also shown in red):

Attached File  Untitled.jpg   124.49K   13 downloads

nothing is set to "affinity", so this is the OS and hardware doing their things. this is in vista, same thing happens in xp...does anybody know of a "test" that i can run to determine if i have a defective cpu? i don't know if this is an (or if there is one) issue caused by my cpus getting hot (and safely shutting down) during the death of that god-awful water pump, or the new mobo they are running on...

#2 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 04:25 AM

Orthos would tell ya pretty quick MO.

#3 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2007 - 04:34 AM

'35' Processes MO?.........that's damn good, you running in 'safe' mode? :cheers:

#4 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 04:45 AM

View Postbanj0, on Nov 30 2007, 08:25 PM, said:

Orthos would tell ya pretty quick MO.

i'm running it now.how long do you let it go for?

#5 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:12 AM

everything seems ok. using cpuz, the voltage to the cpu in question seems to drop below a certain value, and then show all of a one mhz drop...hummm.

#6 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:43 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Nov 30 2007, 11:45 PM, said:

i'm running it now.how long do you let it go for?

If your cpu is @ stock speeds, and you had one bad core, it would fail after just a few minutes. For overclocking, you would want it to run on both cores for 24hrs for stability.

Edited by banj0, 02 December 2007 - 01:49 AM.

#7 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 04:59 PM

this is on my smp system. i'm wondering if my mobo's not properly regulating voltages for that socket, hence the drop in that one cpu, and the odd spikes...i guess i could see about raising the voltage just for that one :cheers:

#8 TheBearLT

TheBearLT

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:52 PM

First of All, you don't need to Run Orthos for 24 hours to make sure that your system is stable, 4-6 hours is enough..
Maybe 24 hours is Suggestable for Servers..

Now 'bout the problem...

Your System Running Slower then "Usually" ? (games, file management, ..etc.)

#9 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:40 PM

View PostTheBearLT, on Dec 1 2007, 01:52 PM, said:

First of All, you don't need to Run Orthos for 24 hours to make sure that your system is stable, 4-6 hours is enough..

4-6 hours is not enough for a true stability test. That statement would get you laughed out of any overclocking conversation. Like this--- :gsg9: :P :cheers: :lust: :lust: Unstable clocks will often fail at the 15-20 hour period of Prime so, for true stability, it should run for 24 hours.

MO, when you run the test and watch the cpu usage in tskmgr or whatever, do you still see the spikes? So instead of 100% across the board, you get between 97-100% on that core?

#10 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:44 PM

slower than normal? i dunno, seems maybe, but then again, i'm always "playing" with vista. i could also be trying to convince myself i need a dual quad system :lust: ( the new supermicro boards are out :cheers: ).

#11 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:13 AM

Over on the PC Perspective forums the poll they have has the 12-24 hrs mark winning for stability/benching/testing apps, Orthos falls into that category.

#12 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:47 AM

View Postbanj0, on Dec 1 2007, 01:40 PM, said:

MO, when you run the test and watch the cpu usage in tskmgr or whatever, do you still see the spikes? So instead of 100% across the board, you get between 97-100% on that core?

100% for both, only spikes are in red from activating the "show kernel..." option.

#13 TheBearLT

TheBearLT

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 04:45 PM

View Postbanj0, on Dec 1 2007, 11:40 PM, said:

4-6 hours is not enough for a true stability test. That statement would get you laughed out of any overclocking conversation. Like this--- :gsg9: :P :cheers: :lust: :lust: Unstable clocks will often fail at the 15-20 hour period of Prime so, for true stability, it should run for 24 hours.

Actually if your system running Fine for about 6 hours, in my opinion this is Completely Fine..
It is more then Enough to check your Gaming Systems Stability

For how long you play the game ? 7 ? 12 ? 16 Hours ?

Now about the Servers.. Well, Overclocked servers is definitely not the Professionals Choice (depends what is the purpose of it).. who needs server that Crashes every 10 hours.. ?
So overclocking is not Suggestable here..

Overclocking makes your system Less stable in Any way, no matter what cooling you have, no matter what Voltage you Crank up.. your system may run fine While running Orthos or 3D Mark, but try some Heavy scientific tools, and your OCed hardware may fail and you'll get calculation Error.

Soo Overall.. For gaming System 4-6 hours is OK
For Servers.. 48-168 is Suggestable

Measure by your needs.. for Aproximetely how long you gonna run your System, and How Heavily it will be loaded..

Btw. you should not fully trust those CPU Burn tools.. it is nothing then just a Tool.. It may have bugs.. it may be outdated and not Compatible with your Architecture..

Too much talking :o you got my opinion..

---

If your system running Fine.. why you should Give a shi.t 'bout those spikes ? :D Overall 2nd Core usually more Spiky then the 1st one

#14 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 05:25 PM

i'm sorta concerned because i just noticed this after my water pump died, causing the system to power off because of excessive heat to the cpus (and neighboring areas of the mobo). now, i haven't checked the performance tab for ages, so this just might be because i'm using a different mobo than the one these cpu started out running in. i'm going to do a fresh install of xp x64, and see if some of the (imagined) sluggishness with some apps is either caused by damage, the vista OS going batty, or my lust for yet another dual socket rig... :cheers:

#15 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:01 PM

When in doubt, blame Veesta.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users