16 replies to this topic

#1 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 03:19 AM

i was perusing the inq, and stumbled upon a letter in response to 'benches' between intel/amd. what most of us don't pay attention to, is the fact that there are many more uses for cpus than games and popular (sic) bench apps (i love the point re: nuclear wepons development benching between intel, amd, and even older ibm chippery...):

Subject: AMD benchmarks

Paul be very careful how you phrase the Intel advantage over AMD. It exists only for applications that have data sets of 4k (for 32 bit apps) or effectively 2Kfor 64 bit apps.

http://www.hpcwire.com/hpc/815242.html

When you move into the more serious apps like Unigraphics NX3 Intel starts to drag up the rear. Fujitsu Seimens had the V830 single core 256 actually outscore the R50 with the same graphics card.

http://www.spec.org/gwpg/Dec1_06/apc.data/...x3_summary.html

Fujitsu withdrew the benchmark. If you look at the current benchmarks a AMD dual core beats any comparable Intel offering. It depends on how difficult the benchmark is. NX3 is based on automotive design.which an order of magnitude more difficult than the routine benchmarks used in the trade press.

http://www.spec.org/...sh/nx3_rel.html

If you move on to something more challenging like DARPA's HPC Challenge Intel's best are something like half as fast in Fast Fourier Transforms and AMD actually beats Blue Gene L .

Last week's 2007 awards http://www.hpcchallenge.org/

The fact that Intel can't beat a 5 year old chip IBM P5 says a lot about the failures of Intel's design in complex computing. Results IBM 7 awards AMD 5 Intel 0. So for very dumb desktop apps Intel is significantly ahead fro more complex workstation apps AMD is slightly ahead, In complex matters like fast fourier series or "button to bang" design of nuclear weapons simulations, AMD takes 14-21 days less time on a 90 day simulation. Since DARPA alone buys twice as many high performance chips per year as all the gamers in the world, AMD has skewed its design to meet that market. It is like comparing a 100m dash runner with a marathon runner. Up to and including 400m, the 100m dash runner will win. Beginning at 800 meters he gets beat and anything beyond 1600meters he gets wiped out and it gets worse with the distance.

Ed Hinders.

:)

(odd, my "old" big single core opties, even though not benching as high as newer xeons, ended up wiping the floor w/ the intel system. now i just need the dual quadro gpus... :chriso: )

#2 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 24 November 2007 - 04:03 PM

:chriso: u and me both MOman ......AMD still the rockin king imo :)

#3 David_Heavey

David_Heavey

=IBF2= Cofounder

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:54 AM

I'm bitterly disappointed in the Phenom. I was expecting (hoping?) for a lot more. I was so peed off after waiting for the Phenom (and being so disappointed) that I went and bought me a C2D. Yes. You read right. I bought an Intel. I was waiting so long for the new "Intel Killer" that when it came here and read many reviews on it ...... screw it. I'm not going to get into that again. I'm just so frustrated at AMD right now.

My new rig is gonna be this:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
MSI Platinum Powerup Edition
EVGA 8800GTS
Eight gig A-Data

Sorry AMD. But I've waited to long for an under performing part. I do a major upgrade once a year and I want what's best for the money. I'm sorry I had to go Intel but I didn't see an option at the moment.. Shame too.

#4 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:31 AM

View PostDavid_Heavey, on Nov 28 2007, 04:54 AM, said:

I'm bitterly disappointed in the Phenom. I was expecting (hoping?) for a lot more. I was so peed off after waiting for the Phenom (and being so disappointed) that I went and bought me a C2D. Yes. You read right. I bought an Intel. I was waiting so long for the new "Intel Killer" that when it came here and read many reviews on it ...... screw it. I'm not going to get into that again. I'm just so frustrated at AMD right now.

My new rig is gonna be this:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
MSI Platinum Powerup Edition
EVGA 8800GTS
Eight gig A-Data

Sorry AMD. But I've waited to long for an under performing part. I do a major upgrade once a year and I want what's best for the money. I'm sorry I had to go Intel but I didn't see an option at the moment.. Shame too.

Eh, David, I don't know if this is the right thread to ask, but what was it about the 9500 you didn't like? Just the overall performance, the fact that it doesn't outperform the 6600 quad, or? Just curious.

#5 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:41 AM

View Posteniparadoxgma, on Nov 29 2007, 07:31 PM, said:

Eh, David, I don't know if this is the right thread to ask, but what was it about the 9500 you didn't like? Just the overall performance, the fact that it doesn't outperform the 6600 quad, or? Just curious.

dave's an intel man now. i think your question will fall on deaf ears...

(sorry dave, i just had to... :cheers: )

#6 TheBearLT

TheBearLT

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 07:08 PM

I remember David said..

It's Intel I hate. If DaveX gave me permission to go and speak freely about Intel he'd have to close the forum down because of what I would say about them cheating little snot rags.

Pardon me, But I'm surprised.. :cheers:

Still you made the Right choice for Now..

It's like BIOSHOCK.. You can have all ADAM, or you can save little girls.. the choice is yours and the one you pick is Right..
...You can have all the Power, or Can have a Friend...
Ironic

Edited by TheBearLT, 01 December 2007 - 07:14 PM.

#7 David_Heavey

David_Heavey

=IBF2= Cofounder

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 01:46 AM

View Posteniparadoxgma, on Nov 30 2007, 03:31 AM, said:

The general performance of it really. I mean, AMD knew what they were up against (Let's face it, the C2D is out for a long time now) and they couldn't even match the Intel parts let alone beat them. I truely hope AMD come up with something very soon. I miss them already. But as I've said, I couldn't wait any longer to upgrade. Been waiting for the Phenom since AMD announced it. My loyalty only lasts so long.

View Postm.oreilly, on Nov 30 2007, 03:41 AM, said:

dave's an intel man now. i think your question will fall on deaf ears...
(sorry dave, i just had to... :cheers: )

HAHA .. no worries Moman. I would have done the same. But to be fair I still prefer AMD as a company. If they come out with something that can match/beat the C2D I'll switch back. But until then I'm sticking with my C2D as my main rig (must admit, it's sweet running this rig with 8 gig of ram. Vista is pretty slick on it in RAID0)

View PostTheBearLT, on Dec 1 2007, 07:08 PM, said:

I remember David said..
Pardon me, But I'm surprised.. :lust:

Believe me, ain't nobody more surprised by my switch than me. Just ask a few of the members here. I've always praised AMD at every opertunity. But I'm afraid AMD dropped the ball on this one.

#8 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:04 AM

first intel...now vista? you're scaring me dude :cheers:

:lust:

#9 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:45 AM

AMD (and ATI for that matter) just ain't got the muscle anymore. You used to buy AMD for gaming and Intel for productivity, now you buy Intel for BOTH. :lust: They try, but have nothing left to offer. I really cant see AMD shining again, not in this decade anyway.

I never thought I'd use Intel CPU's again, but I'm glad I did.....they ROCK!! :lust:

first intel...now vista? you're scaring me dude

We all make mistakes :cheers:

#10 TheBearLT

TheBearLT

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:17 AM

Well Intel always was One Step beyond AMD in Performance.. -"Everyone Wants Pentium not Athlon" :cheers:

But Intel was always the way more expensive then AMD.. everyone can Afford AMD but "inside" everyone wanted Intel

And Now.. Core2Duo is Cheap as AMD, fast as AMD and Beyond... Finally, Intel became Affordable for All of us Folks..

When I was buying my new CPU (quite long time ago), I was Choosing between AMD and INTEL
But due to my AMD sympathy, I bought AMD :lust: (the price/performance was almost the same)

you see.. It's the matter of Choice and Likeliness

You can marry Really beautiful Girl you don't love, or you can go for the Mediocre Girl you love :lust:

Yep :gsg9: But honestly if I would be Buying CPU right now.. I mean Today.. Intel Quad would be my Choice :P

Edited by TheBearLT, 04 December 2007 - 11:19 AM.

#11 David_Heavey

David_Heavey

=IBF2= Cofounder

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:26 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Dec 4 2007, 02:04 AM, said:

first intel...now vista? you're scaring me dude :cc_surrender:

:rofl_mini:

i thought "If Vista runs well on 8 gig I'll keep it". More ior less the friggin same as when it was on two gig :likewinmandr2:

#12 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:00 AM

View PostDavid_Heavey, on Dec 4 2007, 04:26 PM, said:

i thought "If Vista runs well on 8 gig I'll keep it". More ior less the friggin same as when it was on two gig :likewinmandr2:

yep. same here. my next rig will not have more than 4 gigs. waste of $$$ for what i've used the system for for the last year and 1/2. i guess i wanted to feel like a big dawg... :cc_surrender:

#13 TheBearLT

TheBearLT

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:03 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Dec 5 2007, 03:00 AM, said:

yep. same here. my next rig will not have more than 4 gigs. waste of $$$ for what i've used the system for for the last year and 1/2. i guess i wanted to feel like a big dawg... :likewinmandr2:

Hmm.. I noticed that Maximum Vistas Ram usage was like 2GB, 1.5.. 1.8...1.6..

3-4 GBs is completely enough Either for gaming either for Working

#14 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:38 AM

I always liked AMD for many reasons, but will stick together with Intel 'till AMD shines again... and hope it doesnt take too much. :cc_surrender:

-------------------------------------------------

About Vista... I recently added more 2 GB to my rig and i must say that i noticed a considerable game performance increase with 4 GB.... :likewinmandr2:

#15 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:32 PM

View Postvrosa x64, on Dec 6 2007, 12:38 AM, said:

I always liked AMD for many reasons, but will stick together with Intel 'till AMD shines again... and hope it doesnt take too much. :cc_surrender:

Well- it may take a little while longer-
they seem to have a problem with Pnenom-

http://arstechnica.com/journals/hardware.a...-produdct-delay

:likewinmandr2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users