Nintendo Wii

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 godless

godless

GTA 4 is a ps2 relic with better graphics...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:41 PM

Well I went on a crusade to find a Wii, and similar to the crusades finding the holy grail wasnt as easy as I imagined, prolly take me a few hundred years to find it.. Here are the reasons why its so hard to find

1. Its Cheap

Damn thing is too cheap, a poor person could afford a $200 console, its about $280, so pretty much anybody can afford one, lower, middle, and upper class...

2. Its Backward Compatible

It costs $10 to buy a N64 game, and even less for Super Nintendo, NES, and Sega games, so pretty much anybody who loves old console games has a reason to buy this piece of crap...

3. Not Enough Consoles At Launch, eg Its freakin Christmas Charlie Brown

4 million Wiis are shipped worldwide by the end of 2006. I heard they will be shipping 70,000 Wiis each week across North America (dont quote me though)

What To Expect

Expect waiting in lines just before a store opens to get one, some stores like Bestbuy will get the most units, some Sears stores will sell Wiis (best place to look for one initially), if you want a later shipment go to best buy.

What I Did

I looked at 2 EB Games, Bestbuy, Wal-Mart, Sears, Toys R' Us, didnt go to Microplay (other side of city), anyway if I go to Bestbuy early on Saturday, and call on Friday to check on shipment I might be able to get one, however I will have to get up mad early, and wait prolly with a million other people for one. I will prolly get the nintendo classic controller, the 480p adapter, Zelda Twilight Princess, for the backward compatible games I'll prolly get all the Zelda games, Final Fantasy Games, and Super Mario Bros games (minus the mini-games). I was gonna get an evga 8800gts, but I will prolly just grab a Wii instead, and get a 8800 card in March.

The PS3

Its got terrible reviews, and apparently though it might look better, the X-Box 360 is much more user friendly, and the Wii is mad cheap, I'm getting the Wii (backward compatible, cheap), versus the ps3 (has same problems as the ps2), and X-Box 360 is as expensive as a midrange videocard (so Im not gonna bother to get one, upgrade pc instead).

Edited by godless, 24 November 2006 - 10:43 PM.

#2 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:34 PM

Cool man!! Have fun with it!! Hope you get one if you go and wait so early!!

Yeah, I heard the PS3's controllers are having problems with the motion sensing thingy! I'll probably wait till they fix it! You know they will do a revision or something.

#3 godless

godless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:36 PM

Ya, for the price of a ps3 you can get a 8800, plus mad shortages for ps3, more Wiis around, but everyone is buying one, crazy town

The PS3 has got a lot of bad reviews, its not user friendly, it has blu-ray, a good reason to buy one, plus some ps only games will prolly be a blast to play, apparently the X-Box 360 takes 5mins to setup an online account, and get into it, so ps3 has to compete with x-box, and apparently so far has failed miserably, I'm just praying the Wii motion control, works good, reviews are good, but I havent used one yet :unsure:

Edited by godless, 24 November 2006 - 11:39 PM.

#4 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:56 PM

My people tell me that Best Buy will get a new shipment of Wii's on Sunday morning. I can neither confirm nor deny this. In other words, it could be complete bull ****. But there you go... :unsure:

Edit:
How long have we had censors? :D

Edited by brewin, 24 November 2006 - 11:57 PM.

#5 godless

godless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:59 PM

The guy told me to call them on Friday, and he will tell me if they get a shipment on Saturday, if they do, he said to go there in the morning before they open up, so I could get one :D :unsure:

So brew you getting a Wii to? ;)

Edit: Too long, only 80 members, but censors (be very afraid)

Edited by godless, 25 November 2006 - 12:01 AM.

#6 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:12 AM

View Postgodless, on Nov 24 2006, 05:59 PM, said:

The guy told me to call them on Friday, and he will tell me if they get a shipment on Saturday, if they do, he said to go there in the morning before they open up, so I could get one :D :unsure:

So brew you getting a Wii to? ;)
I haven't decided yet. I doubt I'll buy anything before Christmas. After that, I'll decide between a PS3 and a Wii. The PS3 isn't exactly getting glowing reviews so far, but I'll give it some time to redeem itself...

View Postgodless, on Nov 24 2006, 05:59 PM, said:

Edit: Too long, only 80 members, but censors (be very afraid)
Fuck censors. :) ;)

#7 godless

godless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:13 AM

hahaha, nice

well if i get a wii, i'll tell ya if it kicks ass, i already have 12 games i want from the old games

heres the list of wii games @ Gamespot

kick ass :unsure:

thing to realize is nintendo is about the game content, not the pretty graphics, and the games are designed to be fun

Edited by godless, 25 November 2006 - 10:32 AM.

#8 godless

godless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:30 AM

backward compatible game list

:unsure:

Edited by godless, 25 November 2006 - 10:33 AM.

#9 nitram

nitram

NITRISCO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 07:27 PM

2. Its Backward Compatible

It costs $10 to buy a N64 game, and even less for Super Nintendo, NES, and Sega games, so pretty much anybody who loves old console games has a reason to buy this piece of crap...

And your thinking of buying this bag of "crap"?

#10 godless

godless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 07:42 PM

View Postnitram, on Nov 25 2006, 02:27 PM, said:

And your thinking of buying this bag of "crap"?

well hardware wise its crap, it has 480p so its not that bad, though you have to buy additional cords for it, as 480i is supported out of the box

its also backward compatible with game cube games, all wiis sold out across Canada already

apparently lots of people bought one

Edited by godless, 25 November 2006 - 07:43 PM.

#11 nitram

nitram

NITRISCO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:09 PM

I have mine on pre order as its not available here untill the 8th december but i dont understand how you can call it "Crap" when you dont own one.

#12 godless

godless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:58 PM

i was just joking, a bit sad that i couldnt buy one :unsure:

#13 godless

godless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 05:20 AM

well i decided to camp out 3 hours before best buy opens :bluerip:

Edited by godless, 26 November 2006 - 11:08 PM.

#14 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:48 PM

I dont intend to buy a console for me, but im liking to watch this war !

----
"Wii revenue had hit almost $200 million since it was released, more than 600,000 consoles sold. Nintendo has shipped hardware to retailers more frequently than ever and still sold out".
----
"Sony says that will have sold 1,000,000 units of its PS3 until end of december, but units are so scarce however, that the only place to buy them is for around $1000 on eBay".
----
"The Vole says it has sold six million Xbox 360 boxes since November 2005. "
----

Read more: http://www.theinquir...x?article=36028

:cheers:

#15 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:13 PM

Some cool pix ! :moreilly:

Games
Posted Image

Wii x 360
Posted Image

Box open
Posted Image

:blink:

~update~

Amazon have sent out e-mails to previously interested parties, with the text below:

Dear Nintendo fan,

Great news! We've managed to get our hands on some more Wii consoles and will be putting them on sale between 3pm and 4pm today (Friday, December 8).
Last time we sold out in 7 minutes and we expect this batch to go even more quickly.
Nintendo sold 600,000 consoles in just 8 days in the US, so you can bet that the Nintendo Wii is THE must-have item of 2006.
The wait is almost over!
See the launch line-up
Sincerely,
Amazon.co.uk Video Games Team

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users