11 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:32 AM

Tonight I was looking at all the sites offering the beta of SP3 for XP, and i started to wonder, just what is wrong with XP to warrant a service pack. Most of us have all of our security patches in place weather it be from WU or Patched directly. Given Microsofts track record with Vista, and the amount of DRM and UAC in place, is Microsoft going to try and add this into XP with their next push of XP SP3? or are they going to just break XP, so you will be forced into buying the next best thing, Vista?

What are your thoughts?? Will you install the Beta?, Final? Just exactly will that do to your XP Key?

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:26 AM

i dunno, but xp w/the aero engine would do it for me. hey, java is a big hole here in windows land, and all the junk to stitch up security, vista or otherwise, is a joke. give me aero in xp, and i'm happy :roadrunner:

#3 Visentinel

Visentinel

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:15 AM

I never really thought much about what bad things XP SP3 might bring, in my thoughts iv always welcomed another service only to remove all the patching over patching over the last couple of years and install a fresh set of system files.

#4 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:59 AM

DX10.

Otherwise its perfect. :yahoo: :roadrunner:

#5 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:48 AM

Hey MO !

DX10... maybe !
Aero... LOL

:roadrunner:

Will you install the Beta

You know i cant resist a beta :yahoo:

#6 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:17 PM

I don't think they want to integrate Vista stuff into XP: customers will be even more reluctant to moving to Vista if XP has all its features... But like everybody, I'd love to have DX10 and Aero in XP...

#7 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:38 PM

View Postvrosa x64, on Aug 9 2007, 03:48 AM, said:

Hey MO !

DX10... maybe !
Aero... LOL

:yahoo:

:roadrunner:

#8 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:32 PM

View PostNvyseal, on Aug 8 2007, 10:32 PM, said:

Given Microsofts track record with Vista, and the amount of DRM and UAC in place, is Microsoft going to try and add this into XP with their next push of XP SP3? or are they going to just break XP, so you will be forced into buying the next best thing, Vista?

Final? Just exactly will that do to your XP Key?

:roadrunner: Whoa! someone seems to have stolen my tinfoil hat! Oh. Nvy seems to have borrowed it. :cigar: I never gave consideration to added DRM with the service pack. I just assumed it would be a collection of security fixes with no added features. XP and x64 work great as is. I'm still wondering why they tried to re-invent the wheel with Vista. It's amusing but not worth the cost of an upgrade. :yahoo:

#9 Visentinel

Visentinel

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:27 AM

Actually Guys... Its probably time we get a Wheel MKII coz the Wheel was invented 5507 years ago in 3500BC. :roadrunner:

#10 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:44 AM

They should include a version of Media Center so that, like Vista, it's completely integrated rather than a separate, stand-alone OS.

#11 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:12 PM

View Postbanj0, on Aug 9 2007, 09:44 PM, said:

They should include a version of Media Center so that, like Vista, it's completely integrated rather than a separate, stand-alone OS.
Now that would be a real and useful update!

#12 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 09:46 PM

I guess my biggest wish is a nice easy way to disable uneeded services and increase system performance. I disable everything I don't need and and have gotten down to around 20 or less processes running on bootup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users