#1 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 04:24 AM

I was really beginning to like Vista- :storm:
the free beta and RC1 & RC2 copies have got me pretty hooked.

But now I understand that the OS can only be installed on 1 computer, and if you do any upgrades it counts as a transfer to a new machine. That still wouldn't be too bad if that was all there was to it- but with Vista you get only one transfer before you have to buy the whole OS over again. :talker:

For those of us who work on your own machines, and do upgrades regularly, that means that Vista cannot be used unless you either hardly ever upgrade or you have alot of extra cash to give to Microsoft. :)

As for me - I am now on hold in planning to switch over unless someone comes out with a "solution" to this problem anyone who builds their own computer will have. :talker:

Check out the EULA yourself-

http://download.microsoft.com/documents/us...53f722371fa.pdf

What do you think of this- and what would/ will you do?

Edited by Roadrunner, 23 October 2006 - 04:26 AM.

#2 bluerip

bluerip

BS Meter embedded, BS attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:All things SciFi, Hidden Science,& Hiddin Truth

Posted 23 October 2006 - 05:33 AM

maybe sorta lucky that I haven't been able to put any version on my machine as of yet.

kinda comin to the conclusion that I'll be building a new machine for Vista anyway.

Honestly I just don't know yet. I've been vacillating on Vista for so long. But thats not my fault. It's taking an awfully long time for this OS to blossom.

As far as how many copies do I need? - just one that works :talker:

:gsg9:

#3 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:15 AM

same as xp...call in, and tell them what's up... :talker:

#4 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:14 AM

Just the one.

It'll make a good beer mat....... :rolleyes: :talker: :rolleyes:

#5 simon

simon

simon says Post

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:29 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Oct 23 2006, 03:15 AM, said:

same as xp...call in, and tell them what's up... :talker:

microsoft will activate still all you have to do is to call the number listed and tell them u made a hardware upgrade and that its only installed on 1 machine and then u get what u need

#6 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:36 PM

The only problem with having to call them everytime is that you sit on hold for awhile. I have had to call them for this reason twice and it took me awhile to talk to someone. I am sure with Vista coming out this problem is only going to get worse because I am sure MS won't hire more people to meet the higher call needs.

#7 mattyboy

mattyboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:52 PM

Really? I never am on hold its always been super quick, everytime. Even when I have to call for MS WORD activation.

#8 bluerip

bluerip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:21 AM

View Postmattyboy, on Oct 23 2006, 02:52 PM, said:

Really? I never am on hold its always been super quick, everytime. Even when I have to call for MS WORD activation.

You must have an Uncle that works for MS. :talker:

#9 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:29 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Oct 23 2006, 12:15 AM, said:

same as xp...call in, and tell them what's up... :gsg9:

It may not be that simple-
here is a portion of an article written by Will Smith- editor in chief of MaximumPC magazine:

"Here’s the exact text: “The first user of the software may reassign the license to another device one time.” That means that if you purchase a copy of Vista at retail—be it the $200 Home Basic or the $400 Vista Ultimate package—you have the right to install that OS on one machine. When you retire that machine, you can install the OS on a second PC, but that’s it. Unlike the Windows XP EULA, which permits you to continue transferring the OS indefinitely (as long as you remove it from the previous machine), Vista’s EULA restricts each copy of the OS to two computers.

Naturally, the new policy will be enforced using Product Activation. Upgrade too much hardware, too many times and Microsoft will disable your legally purchased version of Windows Vista. Frighteningly, none of the Microsoft representatives I’ve spoken with can specify what determines the difference between a hardware upgrade and a new machine; all they’ll say is that it’s a complicated algorithm.

This makes Vista very, very unattractive for anyone who builds his or her own rigs. Vista will force people who frequently build new machines or do regular major upgrades—like you and me—to pay Microsoft a couple hundred bucks a year for the privilege of running Vista. I’ve had a few problems with the new OS, but I’m ready to drop WinXP. But it will be a cold day in hell before I pay multiple times for the same piece of software for the same PC. That’s highway robbery.

Why is Microsoft doing this? Because it can. There will be relatively few people affected by this license change, as the vast majority of Vista builds will end up in OEM machines purchased by people who don’t upgrade. Indeed, even if everyone who’s affected by this clause decides to boycott Vista, it won’t make a measureable impact on sales. "

Sounds alot like it's something that I would want to be sure about before I assume all my "upgrades" won't cause my Vista to be worthless. :talker:

#10 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:48 AM

good point :talker:

#11 bluerip

bluerip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 05:33 AM

Geez this is really sucking. :talker:

#12 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:07 AM

That sucks, we pay for the software to use it on what we want... :talker: This is what forces people to become ilegal :gsg9: .
I dont mind paying M$ again just 'cos i decided to upgrade my PC more than once after buying Vista...
--------------------------

EULA:

http://download.microsoft.com/documents/us...53f722371fa.pdf

#13 godless

godless

GTA 4 is a ps2 relic with better graphics...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:27 AM

well only being able to install it twice would be lame as hell, if this OS is gonna last 8 years im sure im gonna go through at least 3 computers...... (this one plus two more)

#14 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:18 AM

OK- I might just go with Vista after all-

http://www.theinquir...x?article=35512

and here-

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsv...sing-terms.aspx

It goes to show you- Microsoft doesn't want to lose any potential customers. When so many people balked at their policy and threatened to go somewhere else they gave in and changed the rules.
:talker: :P ;)

#15 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:25 AM

well only being able to install it twice would be lame as hell, if this OS is gonna last 8 years im sure im gonna go through at least 3 computers...... (this one plus two more)

It's OK..........Microsoft Linux will be out by then...... :rolleyes:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users