rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:10 AM

View Posttalker, on Feb 2 2008, 06:37 PM, said:

MO!!!!!!! FOR SHAME ;) :blink:

ummm, not of tbear, of course... :g:
no, bill, i've had my years of experimentation. i'm on the straight and narrow now... :worry:

...and speaking of sexy, that evga gt is looking mighty fine atm...

#122 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:53 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Feb 2 2008, 08:18 PM, said:

enip, which card are you running atm? i'll take a second look at the 3870s. i was checking out the x2s, but i think it would be a waste for me to own it...

Still runnin me an AIW x1900. Too broke to upgrade. :g:

#123 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:08 AM

i was just thinking...apple uses the ati cards. no dx for them, as they want performing hardware. the ati is looking better by the second. i don't game, but want rich quality visuals in whatever i do...

#124 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 03 February 2008 - 05:09 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Feb 2 2008, 10:08 PM, said:

i was just thinking...apple uses the ati cards. no dx for them, as they want performing hardware. the ati is looking better by the second. i don't game, but want rich quality visuals in whatever i do...

Michael,
You know that I don't game (well, maybe a little solitaire) but I do like deep, rich colors. That is why I have always gone with ATI cards. Maybe the drivers aren't the best sometimes but most are pretty stable and since I don't game, an extra half a frame a second is nothing that I care about. My performance with the ATI cards has always been good. The images are sharp and crisp with the color saturation deep and bright. I have run both Nvidia and ATI. In my Vista Ult x64, there are two Nvidia in SLI but that is a play machine that I watch TV on. My production system is the XP x64 with a 512MB 1600 Pro PCIe . Granted, the card is somewhat dated but for what I do it is still very viable. The only card that I have ever seen that had deeper color saturation than the ATI was a Number 9 32MB AGP. Nothing could beat a Number 9 with the S3 Savage 4 chip for color but they have been gone since 1999. For my two cents worth, if you are looking for color brillance and not really concerned about that half frame a second speed boost, I would definately go with the ATI. When I replace the 1600, it will be with ATI

Edited by talker, 03 February 2008 - 05:10 AM.

#125 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 05:33 AM

thanks bill. the 3870 has the stuff: pci-e 2.0 (i have those slots on my mobo), the gddr4 ram, dx 10.1, and that dual slot cooling i really like, along with one power connector. really tempted, in a good way :g:

#126 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 05:58 AM

this is looking just right:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814161218

Posted Image

edit: looks like f@h will like the new drivers :g:

#127 TheBearLT

TheBearLT

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 08:50 AM

View Posttalker, on Feb 3 2008, 07:09 AM, said:

Michael,
You know that I don't game (well, maybe a little solitaire) but I do like deep, rich colors. That is why I have always gone with ATI cards....

Actually the nVidias and ATis colors are quite different.. I mean you actually do feel the Difference, but you Cannot say that the ones default nor from ATi nor from nVidia are better, it's the Matter of taste.

But, Gamma Vibr. Saturation Color Explosion and other stuff like that, could be easily adjusted in nVidia driver.. soo no Advantage here

View Postm.oreilly, on Feb 3 2008, 03:12 AM, said:

well geez...if the picture quality is ati, but filters is nvidia: why would you need filters if the picture quality is there? @ tall rezes, is there that much need for aa and af? man, i feel more confused than i did yesterday...
insert nude graphics/performance here

Well MO. It depends on game. For some games filters are Vital (without them you could see rough pixels On the models sides).. For some, just Performance Drop down..

Another Note. ATi had always problems with Outdated drivers.. Like game running at 5-10 FPS, but when new Drivers appear it has 40-50...
I hope with these DX10.1 cards they will finally start to mod their drivers more often..

p.s. <insert nude graphics/performance here>
<http://i25.tinypic.com/j794bc.jpg> 18+

#128 talker

talker

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:50 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Feb 2 2008, 11:33 PM, said:

thanks bill. the 3870 has the stuff: pci-e 2.0 (i have those slots on my mobo), the gddr4 ram, dx 10.1, and that dual slot cooling i really like, along with one power connector. really tempted, in a good way :worry:

I wish I could, I wish I could....a 3870...sigh, I wish I could...talker. :g:

#129 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:44 PM

well, after some thought, and some more input in the chat last night, i ordered the 8800gt oc (the one i had linked to had already sold out by the time i made my decision). i ended up getting it through amazon, and for $35 less than newegg wanted! thanks all for your advice :g:

#130 TheBearLT

TheBearLT

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:24 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Feb 5 2008, 12:44 AM, said:

well, after some thought, and some more input in the chat last night, i ordered the 8800gt oc (the one i had linked to had already sold out by the time i made my decision). i ended up getting it through amazon, and for $35 less than newegg wanted! thanks all for your advice :g:

Well MO, I cannot say that you made the Right choice and or made the Wrong one..
But it is yours computer, and the final verdict is yours.

Two tough VGAs, that can be classified as really Mediocre ones... Not Lo-End, not Hi-end... But Mediocre
Good choice for Gamer

But if you ask me.. I, would had purchased 3870 :worry:

#131 talker

talker

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:34 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Feb 4 2008, 04:44 PM, said:

Egad Mo you went GREEN, I can't believe it...GREEN...Oh my, a great color for grass but everyone knows the really, really, really true graphics are always...RED

Oh well, enjoy the 8800...talker. :worry:

#132 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:32 PM

View PostTheBearLT, on Feb 5 2008, 12:24 AM, said:

Well MO, I cannot say that you made the Right choice and or made the Wrong one..
But it is yours computer, and the final verdict is yours.

Two tough VGAs, that can be classified as really Mediocre ones... Not Lo-End, not Hi-end... But Mediocre
Good choice for Gamer

But if you ask me.. I, would had purchased 3870 :blink:

well, i'm sure the gt will out perform my old 7900gtx, and from the reviews of 3870 card owners, looks like fan issues abound (re fans binding, etc), not to mention driver problems. i'm to old too futz with driver conflicts and the like. in all the gearhead reviews of the gt, i usually hear raves regarding it's performance against more expensive cards, and the fact that i am now dx10 and using the g2 revision gpu for a great price :g:
it was either the gt, or the 3870x2, but i don't think i would have needed the x2's horsepower, heat, and power consumption, not to mention spending an extra $200. my thinking atm is that the 8800 line has matured, much more so than maybe any other build in recent gpu history, while remaining competitive both in terms of raw gpu performance, as well as in the marketplace. the g2 iteration seems like a great bang-for-buck chip, and coupled with the non issues of nvidia drivers, looks to be a winner in my book (i think...? :worry: )...

(plus rj gave it his blessing... ;) )

#133 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:21 PM

View Posttalker, on Feb 5 2008, 08:34 AM, said:

Egad Mo you went GREEN, I can't believe it...GREEN...Oh my, a great color for grass but everyone knows the really, really, really true graphics are always...RED

Oh well, enjoy the 8800...talker. :worry:
And you're running dual 8500GT's :g:

#134 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:55 PM

View Posthog, on Feb 5 2008, 10:21 AM, said:

And you're running dual 8500GT's :g:

:worry: