21 replies to this topic

#1 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 07:04 PM

Ok so we play with these Beta's, but it has to be said, we all struggle to remember or completely forget sometimes that Vista is going to be finished, believe me one day it will be done :P

Firstly we need to look at what Microsoft intends to give us, is there anything left to take out?

Well DWM and Aero seem to be the main selling point of Vista. It makes it look visally stunning, it enables you to ENJOY using your computer. Who knows maybe these new toys will somehow tie in with other parts of the computer, and make the whole thing more accessible.

The sidebar was taken away, IT HAS COME HOME! The idea in this is to complement the Taskbar and define Vista as different from XP, why navigate around the Start-menu or hunt through your computers system, when it can simply be tidied away into a corner.

Next we see the organization and indexing of files is much better with Virtual folders, the idea being we can leave something categorized and even save Searches as Virtual folders, for future reference.

Vista is also going to contain a newer and more improved Firewall, based on what was actually meant for XP, we will get finally a Two way Windows Firewall!!!

How quick is Vista going to be? Microsoft reckons that Vista-made computer systems will boot in less than half the time it takes an XP computer to boot now, this means we can get more time out of everything we do, and time can mean profits and more work done, if the whole OS is as fast as promised, Vista will take XP off the map. It seems Microsoft don't want the Windows 2000 Scenario where people hang on, or even the 98 thing, some people still use that ya'know.

The sad thing is how Microsoft are selling this, they are knocking the likes of Windows XP, which may result in people hanging on to it tighter...

What is your opinion?

#2 clarky3429

clarky3429

No I will not fix your computer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 08:18 PM

i think vista will be good, but i know right now it will be overpriced.

#3 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 09:49 PM

I can only hope we get it COUGH

#4 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Interests:An abundance :P

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:10 AM

Vista will be great... if you can afford the hardware!

#5 clarky3429

clarky3429

No I will not fix your computer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 05:51 AM

yeah, hardware might be a little bit of an issue for some

#6 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:59 PM

for some... try most lol, a lot of us computer users can't afford the latest and greatest, you all know that, we're all just out in the cold because M$ makes things require more resources as more resources become available.

#7 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 05:35 PM

This might sound odd, but don't you agree that it's odd MS resort to using Gadgets and widgets for their sidebar when other people on the net make better ones in less than half the time, integrated or not integrated, nevermind how good it looks, it eats memory like i eat cake

#8 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 05:44 PM

LMFAO good comment... cake sounds good now... But yes it does sound quite odd, the "leading sfotware developer in the world" can't come up with stuff that is as useful with using only a fraction of the memory it should and in a fraction of the time only, it only makes since to make stuff like that... when has M$ ever made since?

#9 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 08:56 AM

But since we are now nearing the next leak *monthly now :D *

Maybe we might see it become part of the OS like back in the LH4074 days

#10 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 02:16 PM

hmmm maybe, who knows, I just wish they'd stop taking all the AVAILABLE resources, like I could see requiring 1gb of ram or so and that would be fine, most newer motherboards can hold that much and still have room for upgrade, but now they are pushing the limits and I don't like it :D

Edited by ShadowFox, 06 October 2005 - 02:17 PM.

#11 Visentinel

Visentinel

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:33 PM

An os like vista would take up a gig of ram.
I'm one such Computer user than CAN afford all the high end gear Vista Wants, But whether I'm willing to buy it is another story, but since iv already decided to get 2gb of DDR500 and a 6800GT 256mb for gaming purposes, i think il be fine lol.

The only thing I'm not willing to rebuy is my LCD monitor and whatever other hardware vista thinks is unacceptable for its DRM.
In that case i doubt I'm going to change to vista.

#12 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:02 PM

I think I'm just going to stick with what I have, granted yes Vista is cool, but not that cool.

#13 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:22 AM

I just really want something that looks good and runs amazing, nothing more...and i want a OS that doesn't get worse over time like XP does, i want it to tell me 'Karl stop doing this and repair that as the machine is getting really bad'

#14 Visentinel

Visentinel

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 02:23 PM

XP doesn't get worse over time, its the user that neglects XP's maintenance that makes it bad over time :)

#15 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:50 PM

... That one was harsh... but he's right, I had XP run a year and a half wihtout a single error, not even a runtime error appeared... worked amazingly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users