5 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:06 AM

Engadget has a really good review on the new google nexus one.

To me, i think this is the phone to get. google got it right, and look for a few more surprises. Im going to bet in the near future this phone won't use "Cell" to make calls, but use VoIP through data plans and WiFi. Forget those calling minutes, anytime minutes and leftover minutes, this changes the game with a data only plan.

Think about it, I've had a VoIP phone system for about 4 years now, nothing else. I pay about $41.00 a month for it. I can get a unlimited data plan for about $50.00, and use the WiFi in the home through cable modem to make calls. Why would I need my VoIP carrier any more?

Evidence?

Google starts "Google Central"
Google changes its name to "Google Voice"
Google buys VoIP Company Gizmo5
all they need now is a wireless company or just install WiFiacross the US then the world!

Google could be our next phone company

Nexus One review

#2 vividWire

vividWire

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:38 AM

I'm already part of the Google "mobile experience" as it were, in the sense that my phone runs on Android 1.6. It's a fairly solid, if memory hungry platform, and I'm sure that the openness of the platform will push it far in future.

My only concern is, due to its openness, manufacturers creating poor quality goods and promoting their Android devices, resulting in the Android name being tarnished. A prime example has to be my phone, in the sense that the HTC Magic (Vodafone edition) needs a little bit more beef for a smooth user experience - right now, Android gets a bit slow from time to time, presumably because the hardware is not sufficient for a good UX.

If anyone else here has some Android based kit, then let me know - I'd love to hear about your experiences.

#3 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:44 AM

Today i was quite surprised at the new Windows 7 phone, has a lot going for it and Microsoft is really playing a key role in the hardware that it can use. We wont see it until probably this October, so im going to sit on my old nokia until I see what all three big players have to offer

#4 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:06 AM

cool dave. hey v, my wife just ordered the moto 'droid from verizon. it should be here wed., so i'll check it out.

#5 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:24 PM

View PostNvyseal, on Feb 16 2010, 01:44 AM, said:

Today i was quite surprised at the new Windows 7 phone, has a lot going for it and Microsoft is really playing a key role in the hardware that it can use. We wont see it until probably this October, so im going to sit on my old nokia until I see what all three big players have to offer

I got impressed too, Nvy ! :cheers:

Here are two review videos:

http://www.5min.com/Video/Windows-7-on-Tou...eview-165892875

http://www.5min.com/Video/Windows-7-Wisbar...eview-165881336

:cheers:

#6 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:15 PM

I think the Nexus One will be just like the iPhone...a pretty decent phone in it's first generation...but wait for the second for a much crisper experience. Unless your already up for a new phone I would wait for the next generation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users