Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

Hello all! It's about that time for biz to upgrade. Tell me what you think:

ASRock Z77 extreme 6
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157295

Intel Core i5 3750k
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116504

G.Skill ripjaws (discounted with motherboard) I'd buy another for 16gb total
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231488

I'd continue with the 6950's for a bit until midsummer.

What do you all think? I haven't rocked an intel for 5 years

#2 bizketman101

bizketman101

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

Or wait for Haswell?

#3 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:25 AM

i'd wait ;)

#4 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:05 AM

...or get a sandy cpu and an ivy board, and OC the beejeepers out of the sandy cpu, if you can get a good deal on components. i had ideas of getting a 2700k and an ivy board to do just that: stable low temp/high OC, and newer platform board...if haswell has the cheap tim under it's hood, and the optimizations are not really there for what you do...still, new improved chipset (intel chipsets are totally the awesomeness),you would then get a top tier maker board, 3750k equivalent...

#5 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

Hello all !
Nice choices Biz.
Last year in my last build I went Intel path again. :)

#6 bizketman101

bizketman101

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

Okay.. sooo my old msi 790fx mobo was starting to fail. It wouldn't recognize my crossfire setup so i decided to do away with it. However, I decided to stick with the 3570k and the ASrock z77 extreme6 mobo and so far im digging it! It definitely provides more juice to my 6950's. Im sure Scara is cringing knowing that im using ati cards but maybe this summer ill pick up one of the next nvidia crop of cards! my only question thus far is that i have a 4.2GHz overclock and my vcore is at 1.112v. is that too low?

Also, is this normal? (the last intel processor i've owned was the P4 2.4Ghz HT.. im way dated here..)
CPUz and Core Temp as well as bios both detect the 4.2GHz, however, System detects a 3.57GHz OC...

edit:
Those high temps are from Prime95. Generally i idle around 30c

Attached Thumbnails

• Attached Image: 4.2OC.png

Edited by bizketman101, 23 March 2013 - 06:04 PM.

#7 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:19 AM

windows will show the stock speed, or thereabouts, of the cpu here, no worries, and as for ati: FTW!!! glad you went ahead and got that system! too low vcore? iol, if it ain't broke, don't go raising it lol! if you are wondering, try a few runs of linx using the xeon x64 linpack test files. re temps, you look a little high for that OC, but remember that the ihs is not soldered as it is with higher tdp cpu. are you using a stock intel cooler? if so, you may want to get something a bit more powerful, or go water.

#8 bizketman101

bizketman101

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

im using the noctua NHD14. It's a beast.. i heard that ivy's just run a tad hot than the Sandy's do. I actually idle between 25c and 17c. Those temps were about an hour into Prime95 maxing at 61c. Ill keep an eye on it and maybe after the Arctic Silver cures it might go down a bit? not sure... The stock HS and Fan was the littlest baby i've seen in a while!! The SSD's in raid 0 were pretty slow in the old MSI 790FX board, not i have them running independent and it is much faster! I wonder how they would be if i did raid them on the z77??

#9 bizketman101

bizketman101

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

I ran Intel burn test and avg 58 Gflops. that decent?

#10 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:49 AM

it's fine for those test files. i believe you would get more with the newer test files in linx, but the idea here is for a stable OC, at least to me. that air cooler is sweet! the intel 7series chipset raid is the fastest raid0 atm, so you may want to try an array again ;)

#11 bizketman101

bizketman101

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:43 AM

question for ya! im running at 4.2Ghz, with a 40 x Multiplier and 105 bus. Seems stable with Prime95 and IBT. However, for shits and giggles, i bumped up the bus to 106 to have a 4.24Ghz OC and ran IBT and it came pack with an error saying my systems OC is not stable.. :huh: Is this where i need to give it a tad more Juice? the core volts is set to auto and according to CPU z and core temp it fluctuates from 1.06v to 1.12 at idle, and 1.12 at 100% load.. What do ya think??

#12 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:19 AM

forget using the cpu strap. just use the multi, setting vcore manual (does your board have 'offset' mode?), and your mem controller up a tiny bit, plus llc and ...i ran an i5 2500k at 5.02ghz on air, as the 1155 platform is pretty easy to ramp up. the out of box/instant OC companies offer is not really stable on most systems since the mem controller is on the cpu, and then taking into consideration what mem you have installed, its stability/xmp, etc.

#13 bizketman101

bizketman101

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:41 AM

Well i turned off the asrock auto OC or whatevs. and i set the multi to 42. and im still at the same OC.. with a slightly less IBT score of 58.. oh well.. but i have another issue. when i run certain games, it crashes instantly.. when I dig into Event Viewer i get this "aticfx32.dll " was the faulting module.. is this an Intel/ATI issue?

#14 scaramonga

scaramonga

CALLING ALL STATIONS

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

View Postbizketman101, on 03 April 2013 - 01:41 AM, said:

when I dig into Event Viewer i get this "aticfx32.dll " was the faulting module.. is this an Intel/ATI issue?

Its an ATI issue, and lots of it around ;) Ah them bad old days of messing with that **** lol, long gone :D

#15 bizketman101

bizketman101

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:46 PM

well i figured i should try a few things. I uninstalled CCC and ran driver sweeper.. then after booting back into windows i received a BSOD. so then i reset the SSD's and reinstalled windows.. then installed each and every driver and rebooted after each one. and boom! every thing is working well now! odd!! very odd. but i can't complain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users