• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 cpu_hero

cpu_hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:57 AM

think my gfs computer has a touch screen. i never use it though roadie.

i just noticed 8 looks significantly better on touch phones. was wondering if the support was a lot better, to lazy to read those giant sized pdfs

#17 scaramonga

scaramonga

CALLING ALL STATIONS

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:00 PM

I use a WP7 now with Mango, and after 3 or 4 months of using, I find the UI irritating. Nice to be able to turn it off though :eniparadoxgma:

#18 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:50 PM

I found this- did anyone else have this happen?

"If you have already installed the operating system, you’d probably noticed that the installation is straightforward and fast. Windows 8 users who try and reinstall the operating system or use the new reset feature to reset it may be in for a surprise, as they may be asked to enter a product key for the operating system to proceed with the installation."

If you need to reinstall Windows Developer Preview or use the Reset functionality, you might be asked to enter this product key:

6RH4V-HNTWC-JQKG8-RFR3R-36498

#19 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:51 AM

hey roadie, thanks for posting that up :eniparadoxgma:

#20 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:01 AM

Looks like an attack on Linux also-

"Is Linux still Microsoft’s number one enemy? Well, after yesterday’s blog I would have to say no. But maybe that is not the case. Here’s what’s happening. Windows 8 may not allow a dual boot system side by side to be available with Linux. That would mean that Linux users decide on one OS or the other for their PC. Microsoft might be happy about that, but consumers who use both will not be.
How is that possible? Well, Windows 8 logo guidelines require that systems have Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) secure boot enabled. When this is in place, it would block Linux, or any other operating system, from booting on it."

From Windows8news.com

#21 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:17 AM

*confused* Maybe I did something wrong but...I have 7 & 8 and Ubuntu running on the lappy just fine. Maybe this no Linux thing is something they are going to do? I must have missed something. :eniparadoxgma:

#22 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:36 PM

View PostRoadrunner, on Sep 21 2011, 08:01 PM, said:

Looks like an attack on Linux also-

"Is Linux still Microsoft’s number one enemy? Well, after yesterday’s blog I would have to say no. But maybe that is not the case. Here’s what’s happening. Windows 8 may not allow a dual boot system side by side to be available with Linux. That would mean that Linux users decide on one OS or the other for their PC. Microsoft might be happy about that, but consumers who use both will not be.
How is that possible? Well, Windows 8 logo guidelines require that systems have Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) secure boot enabled. When this is in place, it would block Linux, or any other operating system, from booting on it."

From Windows8news.com

If you have secure boot enabled, the os loader will need to be signed and registered in the firmware. The Linux os loader would need to be digitally signed with a signature recognized by the UEFI firmware.

Microsoft will be working hard to ensure that every UEFI BIOS has the signatures required for Windows 8 to "just work"

Here is a good article on it. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09...-with-uefi.aspx

#23 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:24 AM

View PostChristopholofigus, on Sep 21 2011, 11:17 PM, said:

*confused* Maybe I did something wrong but...I have 7 & 8 and Ubuntu running on the lappy just fine. Maybe this no Linux thing is something they are going to do? I must have missed something. :eniparadoxgma:

Did you try to install Linux after 8?
I think that is the problem.

Linux 1

Linux 2

Microsofts response-

M$

#24 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:50 AM

I don't think I have secured boot enabled. I installed 7 first, then 8, and finally installed Ubuntu. It all seems to work nice, except for switching from 8 to 7...I have to reboot for it to take.

#25 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:04 AM

yeah, there is that. i'm thinking of tossing it back on as a sole os...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users