• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:46 PM

Ok, I am so sick of this!! I have two new segate perpendicular recording 320gb sata2 hd's. I put them in a RAID 0 setup on my NF4 chipset (DFI Lanparty Expert). I have them on slots 3 and 4 since the mobo seems to recognize those as being the first two. I want to break it up into two partitions one for xp x64 and a smaller one for linux fedora core 5. I am installing xp first, anyways I go and make the partitions and it goes on it's way formating NTFS and then copying the files. I did the F6 to load the drivers and everything (storage class controller, and raid nforce drivers). Anyways, when it is all done and time to restart the computer to go onto the next step it goes back into the original windows install stuff again like it can't find the mbr or something to continue the install. So, I restart the machine and take the windows install disk so it can't boot to cd, when I do this I get a error from Microsoft that says something along the lines of my hard drives and configured wrong or something like that. I have tried several different new versions of drivers with no avail. I have even taken the two drives out of raid and tried installing xp on them each seperatly to see if one of the drives was bad, hoewever they both install fine when you do that!! I know this should work because I had my system setup this way on my Hitachi drives for the last four months. PLEASE HELP!! Thank you.

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:36 PM

hey chris. what does your bios show as boot order? and which drivers are you using? you are chosing both driver options at the mass storage prompt, right? how does the nvraid bios look? you have the volumn set to boot? any other drives, sata optical, etc. installed?

latest bios/drivers?

#3 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:39 PM

I have (2) 160gb Hitachi drives that I use to have as my raid which will be used for my vista and playing around. However, I have even taken them all the way out to just have those 2 segates. And just to double check I set my hitachi's back up the same way they were before when they worked fine and it did the same thing. My boot order is.... the nvidia first amoung the hard drives, and my overall boot order it set to removable, then cdrom, then hd. I personally think it has to be the raid drivers. Since it works just fine the second you take it out of raid.

#4 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:00 PM

Here is the actual error I am getting after it reboots to do the second part of the windows install:

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. plesae check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

#5 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:11 PM

Well, I just flashed my bios to the newest version. So, that took away my overclock and everything. I am still getting the same old error. I think I am going to cry!

#6 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:20 PM

which drivers chris?

and both driver choices are chosen at the mass storage prompt?

#7 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:22 PM

I am on my third revision of drivers to try. I can't remember the numbers of all of them I have tried. I am currently trying a old driver. And yes, I do both options that say (required) the raid driver and then the storage control driver, a total of two loaded drivers off the diskette.

Well, the old driver failed as well!! I really hate this thing right now!!!

Edited by chriso_86, 01 September 2006 - 10:23 PM.

#8 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:25 PM

call seagate :)

#9 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:26 PM

It's not the drives, my Hitachi's are doing the same thing now!!!

#10 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:44 PM

View Postchriso_86, on Sep 1 2006, 03:26 PM, said:

It's not the drives, my Hitachi's are doing the same thing now!!!
oops, i thought you meant the hitachis were working :)

#11 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:04 PM

You know, I did just notice that if I hit F10 before it would give me the option of setting the array to boot by hitting (B). Now that is grayed out and it say's N/A. Could that be the problem. And if so how do I fix it?

#12 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:09 PM

View Postchriso_86, on Sep 1 2006, 04:04 PM, said:

You know, I did just notice that if I hit F10 before it would give me the option of setting the array to boot by hitting (B). Now that is grayed out and it say's N/A. Could that be the problem. And if so how do I fix it?
did you make the array bootable (hit B just before exiting the raid manager bios)? here is that .exe for making a raid diskette. i have used these.

Attached File  NF4F6RAIDX64.exe   819.58K   84 downloads

#13 chriso_86

chriso_86

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:16 PM

Yeah, the option to hit B to make it bootable isn't available!!

#14 RJsPC

RJsPC

Sponge Bob Guru Pants

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:17 PM

Have you set all the bios settings for raid on the correct ports, did you go into the raid set up in the bios and select boot for your raid?

oops to late on my reply, and MO's is more clear than mine anyway

Edited by RJsPC, 01 September 2006 - 11:18 PM.

#15 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:23 PM

View Postchriso_86, on Sep 1 2006, 04:16 PM, said:

Yeah, the option to hit B to make it bootable isn't available!!
:) did you copy the steps you did for the previous drives? if so, that should do it, unless the system bios has not been set up properly in regards to the drives...

do you see single drives mentioned when you first enter the system bios? if so, the nvraid setup (system bios)
has not been completed.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users