7 replies to this topic

#1 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:01 PM

So I'm thinking of getting one of the new Asus EEE PC 1201Ns (dual core 1.6 Atom, 2 gb RAM, blah blah blah) for school (and travel). However, one of the things I always wanted in a netbook if I was to get one was an SSD. I was wanting to carry my netbook in my backpack w/my books so the shock resistance as well as faster response and boot up would be helpful.

Since an SSD doesn't seem to be an option on the 1201N I was looking into getting a separate SSD and installing it myself.

However, I'm not that up on the lastest SSD tech, so was hoping for some opinions/suggestions.

I won't need a lot of space on it. I'm thinking 32gb, 130-150 U.S. price range.

Suggestions? Anyone think it's not worth the investment? Could I use my Windows 7 from the netbook if I put an SSD in it?

TIA.

#2 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:22 AM

This one :(

Edited by stormrosson, 12 January 2010 - 12:23 AM.

#3 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:14 AM

View Poststormrosson, on Jan 11 2010, 04:22 PM, said:

:giggle:

#4 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:31 PM

I appreciate the feedback, guys. If I end up going the netbook route I will definitely take that drive under consideration.

However, my 24 inch LCD apparently gave up the ghost, kicked the bucket, shuffled off this mortal coil, etc etc some time this morning. Had it for years and it'd been sick for awhile...so I knew it was only a matter of time. It still stings though. We had some great times together. RIP.

SO, I had to spring for a new one. I have this on the way. :(

#5 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:11 AM

man, thanks for the link. i want one too!!! i hope they hold at this price til i get my tax return...

#6 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:14 PM

Here's something i ran across today. Might be good for a cheap desktop entry level

Kingston Digital, Inc., the Flash memory affiliate of Kingston Technology Company, Inc., the independent world leader in memory products, today announced the SSDNow V Series 30GB Boot Drive, the latest addition to its V (Value) family of solid-state drives (SSD). The Kingston® SSDNow V Series 30GB Boot Drive ships with TRIM support for Windows® 7 and will be promotionally priced at $79.99 after rebates (U.S. only) when the product launches in February*.

Read on...

#7 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:58 PM

Hmm...instead of the netbook I'm thinking about 2 of these in RAID +0 for my desktop...

Hmm....

#8 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:30 AM

ocz has their "solid2" drive out for a cheaper option, too, and it has competitive speeds/performance/pricing. love your new avatar there, enip :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users