#1 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:54 PM

Link

(snip)When any port (think neighborhood node) on the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS) in the local cable company office enters a "near congestion" state, the system looks up the heaviest users of bandwidth during the preceding few minutes. Those users then have their traffic tagged as "Best Effort" rather than the default "Priority Best Effort." At this point, nothing happens to anyone's traffic.

When congestion actually occurs, the Priority Best Effort users should see no slowdown in their connections; all traffic will go through ahead of the Best Effort traffic. Best Effort folks may not notice any slowdown, either. They are not speed-limited, but they do go to the back of the quality of service (QoS) line. At this point, if traffic does in fact fill the pipe, users in the Best Effort category will experience delays in their connections, though their traffic will still be sent on whenever possible.
(snip)

Sounds like they're coming around a bit by not deep-packet sniffing anymore. Still not sure if they should be trusted though.

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:58 PM

we will see...you comcast also?

#3 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:28 PM

Yep.

#4 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:45 PM

:christo:

all we can do is :christo: atm...

#5 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:02 AM

:christo: I say we all pitch in and buy a few satellites and have our OWN internet connection. 1gb download speeds anyone? LOL

Yeah yeah...I can dream can't I?

#6 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:03 PM

View Postbanj0, on Sep 23 2008, 02:54 PM, said:

Link

(snip)When any port (think neighborhood node) on the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS) in the local cable company office enters a "near congestion" state, the system looks up the heaviest users of bandwidth during the preceding few minutes. Those users then have their traffic tagged as "Best Effort" rather than the default "Priority Best Effort." At this point, nothing happens to anyone's traffic.

When congestion actually occurs, the Priority Best Effort users should see no slowdown in their connections; all traffic will go through ahead of the Best Effort traffic. Best Effort folks may not notice any slowdown, either. They are not speed-limited, but they do go to the back of the quality of service (QoS) line. At this point, if traffic does in fact fill the pipe, users in the Best Effort category will experience delays in their connections, though their traffic will still be sent on whenever possible.
(snip)

Sounds like they're coming around a bit by not deep-packet sniffing anymore. Still not sure if they should be trusted though.
I still got to ask instead of spending money finding ways to slow heavy users speeds why not upgrade equipment to make the slowdowns unneeded.

#7 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:41 AM

View PostCamaro, on Sep 25 2008, 02:03 PM, said:

I still got to ask instead of spending money finding ways to slow heavy users speeds why not upgrade equipment to make the slowdowns unneeded.
i wonder if they are forging ahead w/fiber/new gear? can anyone using comcast try opendns? i am using open, and am curious what you all are getting in terms of speed vs what you have been "allotted"...

#8 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:30 AM

I'm on Comcast and using OpenDNS. For raw speed, *my tests show that Comcast's servers are faster. But for browsing, it seems to my eye that most pages load faster with OpenDNS.

Here's a test with OpenDNS:

Posted Image

and without:

Posted Image

Edited by banj0, 26 September 2008 - 04:30 AM.

#9 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:33 PM

i get faster w/opendns...i wish i had your up speed... :christo:

#10 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:04 PM

Are you on their highest speed plan MO? What ups are you getting?

#11 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:03 PM

fast as they get here (at least for the regular joe/without paying a premium) is 740k/6m, though i now get (unless comcast have some sort of "boost" for short periods) 740/26m on a clear day. and this is @ $60 a month, just for the ip.

#12 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:27 PM

Hm. I pay 50 per month and they just rate it at 8+. I will say that since I moved about 20 miles north of the city a year ago my speeds have gone up. A lot of folks out here in the woodsy areas have dishes so maybe my local node isn't as congested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users