Restore XP Activation Status After Reformat
- Open C:\Windows\System32 folder.
- Locate the files "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" and copy them to a safe location.
- Reformat your disk and reinstall Windows XP, don't try to activate it.
- Reboot your computer into SafeMode
- Navigate to the C:\Windows\System32 folder again.
- Locate the files named "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" (if it exists) and rename them to "wpadbl.new" and "wpabak.new"
- Copy your original "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" files into C:\Windows\System32