- - - - -

Why Microsoft must abandon Vista to save itself

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:35 PM

images/news/vista.jpgDon Reisinger has written an article on Windows Vista and how it has turned out to be one of the biggest blunders in Microsoft's history.

While Vista was originally touted by Microsoft as the operating system saviour we've all been waiting for, it has turned out to be one of the biggest blunders in technology. With a host of issues that are inexcusable and features that are taken from the Mac OS X and Linux playbook, Microsoft has once again lost sight of what we really want.

As we're more than aware, Vista Ultimate comes at a premium. For an additional $160 over the Premium SKU price, Ultimate gives you a complete backup and restore option, BitLocker Drive encryption, the ever so popular Windows Fax & Scan, and the "Ultimate Extras." But what started with a promise of "Extras" by summer, quickly turned into an apology from Microsoft and the eventual release of DreamScene and Windows Hold 'Em (among others) today. And while each of the "Extras" runs just fine, Microsoft's "Extras" blunder is just another reason why the company must abandon Vista before it's too late.

News.com

#2 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:19 PM

I have to agree with much of the article and feel that Vista is an unfinished product. I am not so sure that a Service Pack will solve a majority of the problems. However, some can be solved by the user and at least enable the OS to be used. UAC being an example of the user efforts to take control of the system. However, I still bring to question the possiblity that using somewhat older hardware allows the OS to operate more smoothly (ie DDR instead of DDR2). My test system which is a skt 939 3800 X2, with 1 GB DDR 400, IDE HDD, Nvidia 7100GS PCIe runs much smoother and quicker with Vista Home Premium than a system at the store with a Core2Duo 6400, 2GB DDR2-667, SATA HDD, Nvidia 8400 PCIe. I have another system at the store that is dreesed out much the same but is an AMD system. They both are snails compared to my older and less powerful system. Correlation between the older hardware and the responsiveness of Vista? At least I think so. It will take some more testing and I enlist your help if you are in a position to try Vista on older hardware and newer. I would really appreciate your input and results. Thanks...talker. :talker:

#3 Red Hawk

Red Hawk

Oxford's King

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:31 PM

I would agree but i would also have to argue that MS is learning a lot from this. They know to stay competitive with the Mac OS they need to offer the same types of things. If that is working for Mac why not offer it in a Win version. I think if we give it time MS will cut down the number of different Vista versions offered and add more options to the current ones such as home premium. I guess we just have to wait and see what the company learns from feedback.

#4 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:44 PM

View Postscaramonga, on Sep 27 2007, 05:35 AM, said:

Don Reisinger has written an article on Windows Vista and how it has turned out to be one of the biggest blunders in Microsoft's history.
News.com

:roadrunner:

TalkBack

I nominate this article for the worst piece of journalism of the year award
sonounfrocione
Sep 27, 2007, 7:26 AM PDT

CNet Can't Afford Objective Journalism?
kromaethius007
Sep 27, 2007, 7:16 AM PDT

What a Harebrained Argument
WJeansonne
Sep 27, 2007, 7:07 AM PDT

Crazy blogger on the loose....again - CNet Should Abandon Him!
ross613
Sep 27, 2007, 7:05 AM PDT

reader comment:

I've been reading this diatribe since the release of windows 95. All this article is, is nothing more than a knee jerk reaction in FUD. It's the worse in CNet Journalism.

:talker:

#5 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 03:08 PM

Don must be one of Scaramonga's minions :talker: :roadrunner:

#6 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 03:43 PM

View PostNvyseal, on Sep 27 2007, 08:08 AM, said:

Don must be one of Scaramonga's minions :roadrunner: :talker:

they could be one in the same person...kinda a mr hyde/mr hyde sorta thing :talker:

EDIT: strom, i just can't hyde anything from you, can i?

#7 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 04:45 PM

Off topic a bit but which version is the same as Ultimate less the Media Center? I read someone post info that I think Business Premium is the overall best because it is a little slimmer but offers everything less media center bloat. As for the article, pretty much a growing opinion it seems, so it holds some weight.

#8 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 27 September 2007 - 04:48 PM

:talker: me too ,as I have about as much use for veesta as Rik does :roadrunner: oh and MOmo that's Dr. Hyde with a y u illiterate reprobate :talker:

#9 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 04:56 PM

View Poststormrosson, on Sep 27 2007, 09:48 AM, said:

...oh and MOmo that's Dr. Hyde with a y u illiterate reprobate :talker:

:talker: i will edit my offending post posthaste... :roadrunner:

#10 KelpFries

KelpFries

Oops....my bad!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Getting through the day without being hassled.

Posted 27 September 2007 - 05:34 PM

I agree with this article, Vista is complete garbage. Once the ooh, and ahh of Aero wears off, all Vista does is annoy the crap out of you. Why is it that I get not one, but TWO, TWO goddamn prompts every time I want to copy a file into a folder such as Program Files. TWO prompts, so here I am, copying one file into multiple directories and each time I do I have to click Yes, TWICE. Pfhhf, UAC, disabled......literally, wheelchair and all. Service Pack 1 had better have some miracle potions embedded into it because if it doesn't make Vista more useful than it is right now, it will NOT be rolled out in my company, because I know, once I do, the HelpDesk software will crash from all of the tickets being produced.

#11 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:18 PM

:talker: excellent edit job Momeister, A+ for u my friend :talker: :P,,,,ps I seem to be liking senor Kelp more everyday :roadrunner:

Edited by stormrosson, 27 September 2007 - 06:21 PM.

#12 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:33 AM

Watch the Vista 'lovers' defend with pride.......but time is running out :talker: :talker:

Kelp said it all IMO :roadrunner:

#13 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:32 AM

:roadrunner: @ Rik :talker:

#14 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:11 AM

ok, all you man huggin' fruit using scientologists: :talker: erm, i forgot what i was gonna say...have a nice evening :roadrunner:

#15 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:17 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Sep 27 2007, 09:11 PM, said:

ok, all you man huggin' fruit using scientologists: :roadrunner: erm, i forgot what i was gonna say...have a nice evening :talker:

Be gentle MO, be gentle...talker. :talker:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users