#31 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:59 AM

View PostCamaro, on Jan 27 2007, 06:43 PM, said:

Why would hardware manufactures need to delay drivers if there was no DRM in them?
That can not be directly atributed to entertainment industry that is a by product of them making the deal with Microsoft.
that's what i meant. or i thought i said... :) or are you responding to scara?

#32 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:01 AM

The TCPA is now called the TCG, the Trusted Computing Group Inc., 2003. The founders:

* AMD
* Hewlett-Packard
* IBM
* Infineon
* Intel Corporation
* Lenovo Holdings Limited
* Microsoft
* Sun Microsystems, Inc.

From their site: "Was TCG formed to specify Digital Rights Management (DRM) technologies?
TCG specifications do not provide all the necessary technical elements required for DRM. It is conceivable that developers could build their own DRM solutions that would operate on systems with Trusted Platform Modules, but TCG specifications alone are not DRM solutions."

The adopters and contributors list is enormous. You can find it here.

In all fairness, the TCG says that the owner will decide whether or not to opt-in to the TCG subsystem when everything is working together.

Who to believe, the propagandists or the companies? Both? Neither?

No matter which side of the "chicken or the egg" thing, it's still DRM causing all this bullshit.

#33 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:13 AM

you know that's "right" :) :lol:

#34 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:16 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Jan 27 2007, 08:59 PM, said:

that's what i meant. or i thought i said... :) or are you responding to scara?
The way you said it could be taken different then you ment. I thought you ment that the content providers are keeping the drivers delayed, in which I am saying that is only a by product of the partnership with microsoft.

#35 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:25 AM

well, to make the "content" run, in all it's glory, i assumed the media's medium would have to be created to do so. MS will gain by supporting the entertainment media, by whatever means possible...yep, it's ugly, no doubt.

#36 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:33 AM

personally I think even if they didnt offer HD support in the O/S because they refuse to run DRM, then how many people would buy HD disks, whether it be with HD-DVD players or Blueray players, for the computer, that would limit lots of company's an even limit the number of disks sold, as most people will wait for cheaper settop boxes that is going to result in directly affecting entertainment industry they would cave pretty quickly I think.

#37 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:36 AM

true indeed :)

#38 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:46 AM

but that is it. MS want the "home front": no set top stuff here. a pc to rule them all ( as apposed to an imac). so they (MS) either go with gusto, and accept the use of DRM (computers can get on line and download "copies" of things), or have the market they want so dearly go to the "set" set. i agree, i like turning on the tube and throwing in a dvd, without worrying if my "drivers" will work. but MS and apple want to own your living room/media enjoyment.
i agree with you 100%

#39 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:57 AM

I know, I read a news artical gates says all tv will be internet, thus PC, within 5 years. but it only makes sense people will still buy computers even with out HD support. an the ones that want the PC to be HD compatible will put pressure on the entertainment industry, infact even or just to spite entertainment industry people will crack the problem, and or, a Update, could re enable HD support with out DRM.

#40 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:10 AM

true, and with all the euro trouble MS and apple are incurring, it looks like this would be a mostly USA thing, which of course, the masses here will accept (drm): "wow, gas is $3.50 a gallon, let's go buy an suv that gets 2 miles to the gallon! this is the US, damn it! if holywood wants drm, it must be the best for all!"
sorry, i can say this 'cause i are one :crazy:

#41 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:14 AM

Cheer up all!.........3 days till Vista release LOL! :lol:

.....are you excited as I am? :)

#42 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:39 AM

View Postscaramonga, on Jan 27 2007, 08:14 PM, said:

Cheer up all!.........3 days till Vista release LOL! :o

.....are you excited as I am? :)
:o :lol:

#43 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 06:19 AM

Waiting impatiently for the Cracking/Hacking to begin. LMAO

#44 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2007 - 06:40 AM

Waiting impatiently for the Cracking/Hacking to begin. LMAO

??

#45 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:35 AM

I'll play the part I was born to play---the bleeding heart liberal that wants the government to hold corporations to the same standard as any other person. Knowing, of course, that, legally, a corporation IS a person....

If you sell me an alternator for my Jeep, it's mine. Not yours. I bought the product from your corporation. You profited, I got what I wanted. Done.

If I decide to use it as cpu cooler, that's my business, not yours.

If I decide to use an alternator for a '93 Cherokee as a time machine.... again, it's My BUSINESS.

If I decide to use an alternator for a '93 Cherokee as a paperweight in my office, it doesn't matter. It's mine!!

So, if I buy a song from iTunes that is 4mb, I now own that 4mb to do with whatever the hell I please.

If I decide to use the 4.7gb movie I bought from iTunes as a "hard drive hiding place for pr0n", it's my business.

There is nothing in the US constitution (just deviating from our friends out of the US) that says that I am required to use any product in the way the seller intended.

If I wanna use Vista as a coaster for my coffee, it is my business. If I use it to show people how putting a DVD in a microwave looks cool (and I profit from it cause it's my job), MS has NO legal rights to stop me.

Software is property. I bought it, I can do whatever the fcuk I want with it as long as my use of it doesn't disrupt your personal rights. The whole "I can swing my arm until it hits your nose."

DRM is illegal. If the US govt sides with corporations over property owners then the government is no longer upholding the constitution.

.... (hypothetical extreme warning.....)

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

I'm kinda drunk so I reserve the right to modify/delete this post if my id/ego/superego see idiot/moron/dumbass later on. :crazy:

No matter what, I'm still glad to you know you folks. :lol: :)

on edit---yep, the point I was going for was not made. I'll leave it up anyway as further proof that I shouldn't be allowed near a keyboard. The spirit is there though.

Edited by banj0, 29 January 2007 - 07:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users